• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Expert floats idea of Canadian aircraft carrier

Fantasizing about carrier battlegroups is harmless.  Contemplating the projection of maritime power without them is dangerous.

In the meantime just get the CH47s and AH64s so we can win the war we are in.

2B

2Bravo said:
Fantasizing about carrier battlegroups is harmless.  Contemplating the projection of maritime power without them is dangerous.

In the meantime just get the CH47s and AH64s so we can win the war we are in.

2B
didn't you say you were going to get back in the sandbox ;)? BTW, as noted above lots of Navys do quite well without a CVN. And I might add you guys in the dirt are getting things done without any organic air support at all.

Small carriers lack the ability to do much more than provide air support for a convoy. Even the French carriers are very limited compared to a Nimitz class or even the old Midway class.

http://www.midwaysailor.com/midway/specifications.html

The teacher wasn't looking, so I jumped back in the pool.

Do these other Navies project maritime power in the way that the SCTF seems to want to?  I'm quite happy for our Navy to continue doing the things it does very well (which is kind of sea-lane denial when you think about it these days).

Going back to the sandbox, we are sitting on an airfield (which, when you look at the perimeter map looks suspiciously like a giant aircraft carrier).  I'm not sure why our own jets aren't here, but I suspect that we could indeed base them in Afghanistan if we wanted to.  The battles for the southern parts of Afghanistan were initially supported by USN planes operating off carriers.

Perhaps were are contemplating an SCTF that accompanies a USN carrier group?

tomahawk6 said:
Small carriers lack the ability to do much more than provide air support for a convoy. Even the French carriers are very limited compared to a Nimitz class or even the old Midway class.

http://www.midwaysailor.com/midway/specifications.html

Like in the Falklands War... the Invincibles were indeed designed as convoy ecorts but managed to do alot more. Small carriers are obviously less capable, but they are better than nothing.

My opinion? Canada should get a Dutch/Spanish type LPD (or two) and be done with it. As has been said many times they are not going to go to war alone. Affordable and realistic.

Back