• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

English Flag Offends Muslim Prisoners

• Thread starter Thread starter D-n-A
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D-n-A

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/04/britain.redcross/index.html

Race fears spark St. George ban

Tuesday, October 4, 2005 Posted: 1249 GMT (2049 HKT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- British prison officers who wore a St. George's Cross tie-pin have been ticked off by the jails watchdog over concerns about the symbol's racist connotations.

The pins showing the English flag -- which has often raised hackles due to its connection with the Crusades of the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries -- could be "misconstrued," Chief Inspector of Prisons Anne Owers said in a section on race in a report on a jail in the northern English city of Wakefield.

The banner of St. George, the red cross of a martyr on a white background, was adopted for the uniform of English soldiers during the military expeditions by European powers to recapture the Holy Land from Muslims, and later became the national flag of England.

A section on race relations in Owers' report said: "We were concerned to see a number of staff wearing a flag of St. George tie-pin.

"While we were told that these had been bought in support of a cancer charity there was clear scope for misinterpretation, and Prison Service Orders made clear that unauthorized badges and pins should not be worn."

As one of her formal recommendations Owers said: "Staff should not wear unauthorized badges or pins."

Chris Doyle, director of the Council for the Advancement of Arab-British Understanding, said Tuesday the red cross was an insensitive reminder of the Crusades.

"A lot of Muslims and Arabs view the Crusades as a bloody episode in our history," he told CNN. "They see those campaigns as Christendom launching a brutal holy war against Islam.

"Muslim or Arab prisoners could take umbrage if staff wore a red cross badge. It's also got associations with the far-right. Prison officers should be seen to be neutral."

Doyle added that it was now time for England to find a new flag and a patron saint who is "not associated with our bloody past and one we can all identify with."

"Muslim or Arab prisoners could take umbrage if staff wore a red cross badge. It's also got associations with the far-right. Prison officers should be seen to be neutral."

What a load of crap.

I wonder if the muslims would do the same for English prisoners?

Why does the west feel the need to constantly give these people the upper hand and sacrificing hundreds of years of culture in the process...And not just the tie pins of prison gurds either!

The bottom line is that they would NEVER do the same for us!

Sorry, I don't see it that way. Yes his line about England needing a new flag is stupid however the unauthourized wearing of pins, etc  while working in a jail is a very valid security concern.
While we were told that these had been bought in support of a cancer charity there was clear scope for misinterpretation, and Prison Service Orders made clear that unauthorized badges and pins should not be worn."

So if I showed up tomorrow with a pin of Hamas on my uniform I would be required to take it off. Something about a goose and gander....

What does not offend the muslims these days  :crybaby: ? If they are so in love with their way of life I am sure many infidels out there will give them a one-way ticket back to their own troubled shithole land from whence they came.

Wes

Jesus jumping fucking Christ on a pogo stick,  this shyte sets my teeth on edge.  The only thing it's not OK to be in England anymore is a fucking Englishman.  This dogcrap promotes a racist backlash, when will these shagging pinheads get that?  First thing we do when I take over, we put all the civil rights arse pickers up against the wall......

Sickening :threat:

Sorry guys,much ado about nothing. This is a case of a "journalist" getting the best of us.... here is the bottom, and only, line that matters in this story,
As one of her formal recommendations Owers said: "Staff should not wear unauthorized badges or pins."

Which I fully concur with, everything else written here is to make a story out of a non-story.
Stop taking the bait.....

....Second thing we do;  Make the reporters bury the civil rights bodies, then put them up against the wall.... " There's one smoking a joint, and that one's got spots! If I had my way, I'd have all of ya shot!"

Name That Tune

"Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel, but he sent us along as a surrogate band, we're gonna find out where Kat really stands....

Semi-related...

Muslims win toy pigs ban

NOVELTY pig calendars and toys have been banned from a council office - in case they offend Muslim staff.

Workers in the benefits department at Dudley Council, West Midlands, were told to remove or cover up all pig-related items, including toys, porcelain figures, calendars and even a tissue box featuring Winnie the Pooh and Piglet.

Bosses acted after a Muslim complained about pig-shaped stress relievers delivered to the council in the run-up to the Islamic festival of Ramadan.

Muslims are barred from eating pork in the Koran and consider pigs unclean.

Councillor Mahbubur Rahman, a practising Muslim, backed the ban. He said: "It's a tolerance of people's beliefs."
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005450600,00.html
--------------------------
::)

The pins showing the English flag -- which has often raised hackles due to its connection with the Crusades of the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries -- could be "misconstrued," Chief Inspector of Prisons Anne Owers said in a section on race in a report on a jail in the northern English city of Wakefield.

The banner of St. George, the red cross of a martyr on a white background, was adopted for the uniform of English soldiers during the military expeditions by European powers to recapture the Holy Land from Muslims, and later became the national flag of England.

Might I add that the reporter apparently pulled all of the above entirely out of his/her ass? The only statement that's even remotely accurate are the dates for the Crusades!

While the cross of St. George does bear some resembelence to the cross of the Knights Templar, they are not related in any meaningful way. Not that the article even mentioned the Knights Templar at all.

Also, since the Muslims WON most of the Crusades, you'd think it would be more of a point of pride... :)

Britney Spears said:
Might I add that the reporter apparently pulled all of the above entirely out of his/her ***? The only statement that's even remotely accurate are the dates for the Crusades!

While the cross of St. George does bear some resembelence to the cross of the Knights Templar, they are not related in any meaningful way. Not that the article even mentioned the Knights Templar at all.

Also, since the Muslims WON most of the Crusades, you'd think it would be more of a point of pride... :)

Just to throw in my 2 cents weren't the templars founded in France and primarily a French order? Didn't the English have a white cross on a red field?

Furthermore it is my understanding that the crusades were a response to Islamic agression and defensive in nature (at least theoreticaly) and not the "brutal Christian agression against Islam" that this article tries to paint it as.

I can't even voice my opinion on the social situations and it's implications but I will say this. This PC push has led to a situation where the only diversity not tolerated is diversity of opinion.

So does that mean that all the provincial flags with the Cross of St. George have to be changed as well, so that Muslims are not offended?

Just to throw in my 2 cents weren't the templars founded in France and primarily a French order?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templars

Didn't the English have a white cross on a red field?

You're thinking of the Hospitallers.

Furthermore it is my understanding that the crusades were a response to Islamic agression and defensive in nature (at least theoreticaly) and not the "brutal Christian agression against Islam" that this article tries to paint it as.

I think most modern scholars like to think of it as the first European campaign of overseas colonization, since the Crusader kingdoms were basically Western European colonies in a predominantly Muslim population. So yeah, I'd agree that they were primarily acts of christian Aggression. It was a little bit more complex back then, since there were more than just two sides. Various Muslim and Xtians factions often allied with each other against their co-religionists, e.g. The sack of Constantinople, the center of Eastern Christianity, by Western Catholics,  and the interactions between the Arabs, Sejuk Turks,  the Mongol Il-Khanate, Egyptian Mamluks, etc, who were all Muslims but were mutually antagonistic.

ExistancE said:
Just to throw in my 2 cents weren't the templars founded in France and primarily a French order? Didn't the English have a white cross on a red field?

I can't even voice my opinion on the social situations and it's implications but I will say this. This PC push has led to a situation where the only diversity not tolerated is diversity of opinion.
Not to get off topic, but no, the Templars (or Knights of the Temple of Solomon) were founded in Jerusalem (by a French Guy) after the first crusade, to aid and protect the pilgrims in the area.  They had recruits/land etc in all of Europe.  Google is a wonderful thing.

EDIT: Britney beat me to it, point to note though Brit, the Hospitallers (Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem), wore black robes (not red) with white crosses.

OK, fine, but in my defence, the modern Sovereign Military Order of Malta, the direct succesor to the Hospitallers, does use the white on red emblem.  :)

I should add that IMO, the Crusades were far more influential on Western Europe than they were on the Middle Eastern Muslim states, who had far more important problems, like the Turkic and Mongol invasions, to worry about.

scm77 said:
Semi-related...

Muslims win toy pigs ban

NOVELTY pig calendars and toys have been banned from a council office - in case they offend Muslim staff.

Workers in the benefits department at Dudley Council, West Midlands, were told to remove or cover up all pig-related items, including toys, porcelain figures, calendars and even a tissue box featuring Winnie the Pooh and Piglet.

Bosses acted after a Muslim complained about pig-shaped stress relievers delivered to the council in the run-up to the Islamic festival of Ramadan.

Muslims are barred from eating pork in the Koran and consider pigs unclean.

Councillor Mahbubur Rahman, a practising Muslim, backed the ban. He said: "It's a tolerance of people's beliefs."
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005450600,00.html
--------------------------
::)

This is madness! Absolute madness!!! No one, regardless of religion, should feel entitled to go through life without being exposed to something that "offends" them...

Where do we stop? Pig paraphernalia offends Muslims? Ban them... Model fighter jets offend peaceniks? Ban them... Truck calendars offend tree-huggers? Ban them... if we head down this road we'll end up in a sterile, Orwellian world...

I can't believe things like this actually happen, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! Has the world lost it's mind?  ??? Arghhh... 

Well, just recently we have been seeing them take the "Christ" out of Christmas.   We are disintergrating as a society.   We are on "Self-Destruct".   Even Santa Clause is offensive to some.  

"It was the night before A Nondenominational Winter Holiday
when all through the house, not a creature was stirring,
not even a mouse.
The Neutral Gift Sacks were hung by the chimney with care
in the hopes that a Nonspecific Holiday Figure would soon be there.
Children of all race, creed and nationality were resting all snug in their beds
while visions of Sugarfree gum were dancing in their heads........."

George Wallace said:
Well, just recently we have been seeing them take the "Christ" out of Christmas.   We are disintergrating as a society.   We are on "Self-Destruct".   Even Santa Clause is offensive to some.  

Not to mention the trend of replacing "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays"...  >:(

I think Santa needs to start kicking some a$$... "Your mistletoe is no match for my TOW missile!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back