• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

elliptical's dont help running

Jonathan

Inactive
Reaction score
I havnt actuall ran for over 2 months, It is winter and my mom bought a new elliptical, so I was useing that almost every day, getting better at it fast. I can run on the elliptical for an hour and do 15km on it. I went out for an outside run toady and my chest hert within 0.5 km, I had stop within 1.5 km becuase my chest hert so much(just the right side). I thought going on the elliptical would keep my running up. Before I could run 3km no problem. Does anyone have any tips aboutgetting rid of chest pains, should I just ignore it and keep on going or should I slowly work up to it. Anyone having any thought about, I would like to heer them.

ps.anybody going on an elliptical right now to improve or keep your running level stop! and go outside, big diffrence

this sucs, I have to start my running pretty much all over and I am going to BMQ this summer

Forget the elliptical. I bought one because the wife didn't like treadmills and I figured it would do for the days I couldn't leave the kids home alone to go for a run. All it did was make me sweat. I since dropped $1300 on a treadmill to atleast get some cardio but nothing beats a run outside. Your chest pains will go away if you start by going a set distance at a slow pace and gradually increase.(Unless its something medical)

Running outdoors gives you varying terrain elevations, wind resistance and the temperature changes that no machine can replicate. In the end its likely you will do most of your PT running outdoors compared to mornings on an elliptical.

(sidenote:try spell check)

thanks, I will slowly work up to it

PS.I have now found the spell check button

I since dropped $1300 on a treadmill to atleast get some cardio but nothing beats a run outside.

I understand your reason for the treadmill being young children but for those who don't have the responsibility of raising children, save your money and go for a run OUTSIDE. As Shelldrake put it, there is no substitute!
Plus think of all the beer you can buy with $1300 ;D

I am going to start running outside every day now, but I think I wil also keep running on the elliptical until all the snow melts, then I can bike in the forest behind m house.

Elliptical trainers are not good for improving your cardio unless you can increase the resistance/grade to make you work.

They are, however, and excellent tool for the active rest days where you want to get in a medium or light cardio workout which is low impact. The other option there is swimming...depending on your level, its the same effect.

CFL said:
Wouldn't an elliptical strengthen your heart muscle?

Yes, along with your quads, hamstrings and all the other leg muscles.

It also provides a decent cardio workout, as long as you go fast enough with some resistance.

IMHO, it is useful as a part of a comprehensive program, but not on it's own (just like everything else).

I do both, running on a treadmill (before work) and outside (unit pt). I found the treadmill can get boring after 2 miles, the scenery never changes. Outside, it's different every time.  I prefer outside over the treadmill.

I found the elliptical great when I was coming back from an injury.  I couldn't handle high impact yet...and it really helped.

I ended up dealing with an injury from overtraining awhile back while getting ready for a marathon.  I found the elliptical was a great way for me to keep both the cardio AND muscles working.  My training consisted of going for the same amount of time I would have been running for the distance scheduled for that day.  Some workouts were over 3 hours.

When I was able to get back to running I had absolutely no problems.  In fact, my first run back was one of the best runs I had ever had.  My heart rate was so low I thought my HRM was malfunctioning.

As for the long training times on machines (treadmills, etc), try watching tv at the same time.  When comercials come on, then I speed up until the show comes on again.

Back