• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the thread that never ends,
Yes it goes on and on my friends,
Some people started posting here not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends...

308 final prediction.

LPC 146

CPC 118

NDP 66

BQ 7

GRN 1

308 has been historically accurate.

Let's see how they do this time

Brad Sallows said:
The bureaucrats do not keep the legislature in line.  If they could, they wouldn't need to become politically engaged.

Trudeau is not necessarily going to be held in check by bureaucrats or other elected members.  All Trudeau needs is a strong CoS Kathleen McWynnety who enjoys putting other people in their places and to whose advice Trudeau defers.  We could end up with a northern version of Obama/Jarrett.

The only thing holding the parliamentary agenda in check is parliament, if the members decide not to be the ciphers many people accuse the current CPC bench-warmers of being.  It is not difficult for the PMO to demand and reward loyalty, and to withhold and remove position and advancement for disloyalty.

TFTFY ;)

Kat Stevens said:
This is the thread that never ends,
Yes it goes on and on my friends,
Some people started posting here not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends...

That could be easily remedied. :whistle:

Rocky Mountains said:
I can't wait to see the results of the election simply to determine which pollsters are cooking the books.  The wide swings in the same time period are incomprehensible.  With a couple point swing in Ontario and the historic Liberal difficulty in finding the polling station, anything can happen.

Donna Dasko, a veteran pollster, offers some 'insider' thoughts in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/opinion-polls-taking-the-national-pulse-or-trying-to/article26850605/
gam-masthead.png

Opinion polls: Taking the national pulse, or trying to

DONNA DASKO
Contributed to The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Oct. 19, 2015

Donna Dasko is former senior vice-president of Environics Research Group; she was co-author of the Globe-Environics poll (1984-1989) and directed CBC/Environics polls (1993-2008).

----------------------

In the past week, the pollsters reached a consensus on the outcome of Monday’s federal election: Most firms had Justin Trudeau and his Liberals with a lead that would likely win the party a minority government. The consensus put the Conservatives in second place, with the once-resurgent New Democrats in third. Media commentary follows the polls closely; almost everything written or spoken about the horse race accepted this narrative.

But what if the polls are wrong? In the 2013 British Columbia election, every one of eight opinion polls conducted within one week of election day showed the New Democrats poised to win a majority – but the Liberals won a majority instead.

Similarly, in the 2012 Alberta election, all seven opinion polls had the Wildrose Party with a lead, but the Conservatives ended up winning a majority. In the 2011 federal election, while pollsters documented the rise of the New Democrats to second place, almost none predicted the Conservative majority.

The polling industry has reached a “crisis point” according to Darrell Bricker, chief executive officer of Ipsos, one of Canada’s leading survey firms. The New York Times, pointing to polling disasters in Britain, Israel and the 2014 U.S. midterm elections, recently echoed that sentiment.

The dubious reliability of current opinion poll results can be traced to a host of new technologies and the declining viability of traditional surveying methods. The main problem boils down to changes in sampling – how pollsters find people to survey and whether people answer the polls.

The random sample is the gold standard of polling: If a sample is chosen randomly from a population, that sample will have the characteristics of that population, within a margin. When I began in the industry in the 1980s, we were able to get excellent, if not perfect, random samples through random-digit dialling. Almost every Canadian household had a landline phone, creating potential access to almost the entire population. People were interested in answering our surveys, especially about politics and public affairs, and response rates were high. We had ideal conditions for practising our trade.

The first warning signs came in the decade of the nineties, when response rates started to drop. The following decades saw the growth of recorded messages, call display and cellphones, and further declines in response rates as the novelty of being wooed by pollsters wore off. I recall response rates of up to 80 per cent in the phone polls we did in the eighties, then dropping to the 40-per-cent to 50-per-cent range a decade later. Now, traditional telephone surveys (with live interviewers) are getting response rates of about 10 per cent or less.

The growth of cellphones has created a new sampling problem. In 2013, according to Statistics Canada, about 20 per cent of all households (and about 60 per cent of households with members under age 35) used cellphones only. We no longer have the advantage of universal coverage from a single source. Some pollsters have responded to this by sampling among cellphone users in addition to landline sampling (called “dual frame” sampling), but this practice can add significantly to the cost of surveying and certainly does not enhance response rates, since few cellphone users will pick up their phones for pollsters.

The rise of interactive voice response (IVR) and Internet technologies are a mixed blessing for the industry. They offer significant relief from the rising costs associated with traditional interviewing and adding cellphones.

IVR involves telephone interviews conducted by computer along with random-digit dialling. While costs are dramatically lower, response rates are absurdly low, in the 2-per-cent to 3-per-cent range. Inexpensive Internet surveys typically use panels of respondents assembled through cold-calling, banner ads, list purchases from multiple providers and so on – methods that bear no relationship to random sampling.

With issues such as these, it’s a wonder that any opinion polls today can accurately gauge the electorate or predict outcomes. But the changes are long-term and structural and are not going away. We have to live with it.

I'm less worried about the variations between e.g. Ipsos, Nanos and EKOS and all the others than I am by too many variations in the trends.

It seems to me that most Canadians polls have been fairly consistent in identifying and reporting those trends even if I am a wee bit suspicious of the resulting seat counts ~ vote efficiency, and all that.

Will Mike shut down the site for 3 hours to provide the required time off for the DS to vote today?
  ;D

From Elections Canada:

Polling hours ~ the aim is to give everyone 12 hours to vote but to have the polls close at nearly the same time, i.e the polls in Atlantic Canada Alberta close at the about same time (within an hour) as those in Ontario and the BC polls close just 30 minutes later; and

Live election results [size=14pt]here[/SIZE].

Edit: for format, and to add:

Bk_svOCCEAAQF7D.png

My vote is in. Civic duty complete. At the very least, I'm hoping to get my MP re-elected.

I'd like to thank everyone that contributed to this thread, shared links etc.

I've always voted in the past, and this marks the second time I've done so while away from home. However, this was the first election where I paid close attention and feel I truly understood the issues. Army.ca kept me in the loop while deployed, and for that I'm appreciative.

On that note, it's probably time to subscribe/donate to the site. It's been very helpful over the last decade.

It will be "interesting" to see what awaits us in the coming years.

:cdn: :salute:

Great banner on the site!

Off to the gym,band to make my mark.

E.R. Campbell said:

I'm less worried about the variations between e.g. Ipsos, Nanos and EKOS and all the others than I am by too many variations in the trends.

It seems to me that most Canadians polls have been fairly consistent in identifying and reporting those trends even if I am a wee bit suspicious of the resulting seat counts ~ vote efficiency, and all that.

I'm more worried about stories in the press being manufactured, essentially, out of whole cloth.  There is increasingly less basis for the horse race tales beloved of the press.

The bigger problem is that impact those tales have on public opinion.  I guess it is all up to how credible the media are perceived to be. A lot of people have an awful lot riding on the outcome of this election - and it is not just the usual suspects.

recceguy said:
That really is pretty good.
Is that a post election picture? The CPC supporter wasn't able to shoot the zombie since he had his guns taken away lol

Strangely - in view of the alleged characteristics of Conservative voters - there were no demons waiting at the polling station to carry me off to hell.

Brad Sallows said:
Strangely - in view of the alleged characteristics of Conservative voters - there were no demons waiting at the polling station to carry me off to hell.

No need to, if Trudeau or Mulcair win as you'll already be there...

recceguy said:
That really is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=Ui2DmINTKbM&u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0V5ckcTSYu8%26feature%3Dshare

I like John Oliver a tad more.

Rips into all leaders, but saves his best for last.

*Spoiler* He's not pro harper.

Did my civic duty today. Although my card never showed up and I became the first "problem child" (my words) of the day!

Altair said:
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=Ui2DmINTKbM&u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0V5ckcTSYu8%26feature%3Dshare

I like John Oliver a tad more.

Rips into all leaders, but saves his best for last.

*Spoiler* He's not pro harper.

He was light on Mulcair and Trudeau. He saved the heavy ammo for Harper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back