• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
E.R. Campbell said:
The Globe and Mail has updated its Election Forecast:

Conservatives take the lead after new polls; Liberals close in on NDP

Our election forecast, based on recent polls and historical data, projects the likelihood that a given party would win the most seats, if an election were held today. Our algorithm was designed in consultation with political scientist Paul Fairie (read more about how it works). This page will be updated frequently with new polls. Scroll down to explore the data.

50% chance that the Conservatives get the most seats

29% chance that the NDP gets the most seats

23% chance that the Liberals get the most seats

And:

24% chance that the Green party gets more than one seat

17% chance that all three main parties win 100 seats or more

1% chance that any party gets a majority.

LATEST ANALYSIS

Conservatives take the lead after new polls; Liberals pulling up to NDP

Paul Fairie
Special to The Globe and Mail

UPDATE SEPT. 25: The Conservatives have re-taken the lead in the Globe Election Forecast for two reasons. First, a strong performance in an EKOS poll gave the party 35 per cent of the national vote, compared to just 26 per cent for the Liberals and 25 for the NDP. If these results are repeated by other firms in the next few days, this is very good news for the government; if the poll is an outlier, this will become clear in short order, and its effect in the Forecast will wash out. Second, the NDP have polled somewhat weaker than usual in Quebec, most notably in the most recent Léger poll. While still in first, and down compared to earlier polls in the range of eight percentage points, losing grip on even 10 seats in a three-way race reduces any party's chances of winning the most seats.

Sept. 22: Public opinion data has been streaming in since the federal leaders' debate last Thursday, and all evidence suggests that voters remain as divided as ever.

Winning a debate isn't the same thing as winning an election. A better measure of who won can be seen by looking at who moved the most votes. Here, too, signals are mixed. While the Nanos 3-day tracking poll showed its usual three-way race, Ipsos had the Liberals taking a small lead. The last time they had the Liberals in first was back in late May when they were tied at 31 per cent with the Conservatives. Similarly, the Liberals continue their gradual improvement in the Globe Election Forecast.

Sept. 14: As the polls draw even to a three-way split in the popular vote, so do the odds of each party winning the most seats. While the NDP and Conservatives remain ahead, the Liberals continue to improve their chances of winning the largest parliamentary caucus primarily as a result of their recent strong polling performances in Ontario.

Friday, Sept. 8: The close three-way race in the federal election has become even tighter in the last week. A diminished Conservative vote coupled with growing Liberal support now gives all three parties with a realistic shot of winning the most seats in October. A consequence of this three-way race is seen in the Election Forecast's estimate of the likelihood of a majority government: just 2.2 per cent.

Wednesday, Sept. 2: The Globe’s forecast now predicts that the NDP are the most likely party to win the largest number of seats, with the party leading in 53 per cent of the simulations. This follows a string of seven consecutive national polls each showing a lead of between 1 and 10 percentage points for the New Democrats.

The seven poll lead was reported by seven different pollsters, using three different methods: traditional telephone, interactive voice response (IVR) and online surveys. The New Democrats have only had such a string of good polling on two separate occasions during this parliament: earlier this year in June, and in the May-June period of 2012.

In good news for the Liberals, three recent polls, by Nanos, Ipsos Reid and Forum, have showed the party in second place, ahead of the Conservatives. Furthermore, polls consistently suggest the gap between first and third place is under 5 percentage points.

This all reinforces how unusual this election is: the best a third-place party has ever done in terms of vote share was in 1988, when the Ed Broadbent-led NDP won 20.4 per cent of the vote. Currently, we’re in a situation where whatever party is polling in third is earning 25 per cent popular support.

Paul Fairie is a University of Calgary political scientist who studies voter behaviour, who designed The Globe’s Election Forecast.

The Globe and Mail updated its Election Forecast yesterday, before the foreign policy debate. The results are:

55% chance that the Conservatives get the most seats

22% chance that the NDP gets the most seats

24% chance that the Liberals get the most seats

And

24% chance that the Green party gets more than one seat

20% chance that all three main parties win 100 seats or more

1% chance that any party gets a majority

The updated analysis says:

UPDATE SEPT. 25: The Conservatives have re-taken the lead in the Globe Election Forecast for two reasons. First, a strong performance in an EKOS poll gave the party 35 per cent of the national vote, compared to just 26 per cent for the Liberals
    and 25 for the NDP. If these results are repeated by other firms in the next few days, this is very good news for the government; if the poll is an outlier, this will become clear in short order, and its effect in the Forecast will wash out. Second,
    the NDP have polled somewhat weaker than usual in Quebec, most notably in the most recent Léger poll. While still in first, and down compared to earlier polls in the range of eight percentage points, losing grip on even 10 seats in a three-way
    race reduces any party's chances of winning the most seats.

Sept. 22: Public opinion data has been streaming in since the federal leaders' debate last Thursday, and all evidence suggests that voters remain as divided as ever.
    Winning a debate isn't the same thing as winning an election ...

It appears, at first glance, that the CPC has gained, measurably, at the expense of the NDP, but I suspect that what's really happening is:

Many potential NDP voters are shifting to either undecided (leaning left) or to the Liberals;

An almost equal number of Liberals (leaning right) have shifted to either undecided or to the CPC; and

Quite a few previously undecided (disengaged) voters have moved into the CPC camp.

Overall, the NDP is falling, the Liberals are holding steady or stagnating (your choice), and the CPC is rising.

George Wallace said:
???

Leaking "Security Concerns" is none of the Public's business.  It is not in the public interest.  The leaking of "Classified" documents is a very serious security matter.  In fact, as this is now in the public domain, the "bad guys" also know what the problems may be.

I was thinking in more general terms although in this case I don't see a valid case for "security concerns" or the public interest being made both would be stretching the point to absurdity.

E.R. Campbell said:
This video, which I found online, says that the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg has upheld the French ban on the burqa (and the niqab, too, I wonder?).

This might have some minor impact on Canada's election campaign.

Margaret Wente, in a column in the Globe and Mail explains why she thinks the niqab debate matters in this election, in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from that newspaper:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/why-the-niqab-matters-now-and-in-future/article26573582/
gam-masthead.png

Why the niqab matters, now and in future

MARGARET WENTE
The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Sep. 29, 2015

According to the critics, Conservative Leader Stephen Harper’s crusade to make women remove their face veils when they take the citizenship oath is despicable beyond measure. It is a direct attack on religious rights and freedom of expression, as well as an insulting effort to impose a dress code on women. At worst, it’s nothing more than naked pandering to the lowest common denominator. At best, it’s a distraction from the serious issues that ought to define this election.

“It’s not an issue that is germane to the future of this country. It’s a trivial issue,” National Post/Postmedia columnist Andrew Coyne argued on a CBC Television panel last week, after the French-language election debate in which the niqab issue set off the biggest fireworks of the night.

In Quebec, niqabs are anything but trivial. Legislation introduced by the Liberal government in June would ban face coverings for anyone giving or receiving public services. The province’s leading politicians overwhelmingly support the ban, as does the public. “It’s clear to me that the niqab is not religious, it’s cultural,” said Denis Coderre, the Montreal mayor (and former federal Liberal bigwig and immigration minister). The main criticism of the proposed bill is that it doesn’t go far enough.

It’s a tale of deux solitudes. Inside Quebec, feminists and progressives are dismayed by the niqab. They see it as an attack on the collective right to be free from oppressive religious symbols. In the rest of Canada, feminists and progressives are enraged at the Conservatives’ attack on a woman’s right to choose.

It’s true that on a practical level, the niqab issue is more symbolic than real. Among the many thousands of people who take the citizenship oath each year, only a handful are veiled Muslim women. They are already required to show their faces, in private, to prove their identities. The federal court has ruled that the government’s ban on face coverings at citizenship ceremonies is unlawful. The Conservative government’s decision to appeal the ruling looks like grandstanding.

But if there is one issue that strikes a nerve with Canadians, this is it. Public opposition to the niqab is deep, and wide. A recently released Leger poll, commissioned by the government and conducted in March, found that more than four out of five people – 82 per cent – supported the Conservatives’ position that there is no place for niqabs in citizenship court. In Quebec, the figure was 93 per cent.

Are all these people closet bigots? That’s an awfully hard case to make. The majority isn’t always right, of course – that’s why we have strong protections for minority rights. But the people who argue that the niqab debate is irrelevant are wrong. It is really a debate about our values, and equality, and the limits of tolerance. How far are we prepared to go to accommodate religious and cultural differences? At what point must newcomers be prepared to accommodate themselves to Canadian society and values?

As the magnificent Chantal Hébert reminded Mr. Coyne on CBC the other night, the niqab debate is anything but trivial – despite what pundits in Toronto think. The debate about accommodation and values will last far beyond this election. It will be among the biggest issues of our future.

When it comes to matters of Canadian values and security, it’s increasingly the Conservatives – not the Liberals or New Democratic Party – whose position resonates with most Canadians. Should dual citizens who are convicted of terrorism be stripped of their Canadian citizenship and deported? The Conservatives say yes, and passed a law to that effect. The NDP, the Liberals, and many other critics say no, because two-tier citizenship is a slippery slope, as well as being unconstitutional. Last week, they stripped the citizenship of the man who led the so-called Toronto 18 bombing plot. The timing was nakedly opportunistic. The public overwhelmingly approves.

As for the thorny issue of the niqab, I’m torn. I believe that Canada is strong and confident enough to tolerate a few women in face coverings. I also believe that the niqab has no place in Canada, and that women who wear them should be strongly discouraged (but not, under most circumstances, barred) from doing so. Symbols matter. And this one matters more than most.

I am in full agreement with Ms Went's final paragraph: I wish this wan't an issue; I had hoped that common sense might prevail ... but it hasn't and it won't because we are dealing with a foreign social, cultural issue that some people want to import into Canada. I have been told by a few Muslims ~ a couple with PhDs ~ that covering one's head, face or body is not required or even encouraged in the Quran; it is, rather, an artefact of medieval cultures in Asia, the Middle East and Europe ...

HTB1fOekGXXXXXXJXFXXq6xXFXXXh.jpg
1a7f17e36b141006c03f044ca29db891.jpg

A modern, fashionable burqa and medieval European nuns' habits

I believe that, very broadly and generally, we need to tolerate religious symbols (of course there are some, a few exceptions, things that are intolerable) but we do not need to allow the import of foreign cultural customs.

suffolkowner said:
I was thinking in more general terms although in this case I don't see a valid case for "security concerns" or the public interest being made both would be stretching the point to absurdity.

It depends upon the security classification/designation applied ~ presumably for some good reason ~ to the original document. The public servant who leaked the document should be called to account for his or her choice ... and I believe (s)he made one. I must assume that someone had a valid reason for designating that document, in some way, as being "for official use only" or SECRET or whatever; perhaps it was a briefing related to a Cabinet Confidence, in which case the public servant who leaked it is guilty of a very, very serious "crime" against one of the foundation stones of our, Westminster, style of parliamentary government.

From the same cultural impulse.

tumblr_lon3kq9WPG1qbz9meo1_500.jpg

Mennonite-Women-in-Tradit-001.jpg

images.jpeg

Mennonites and Hutterites.

The difference is that, like your mediaeval nuns, while the attire is considered both by society at large, the society in particular and the wearer individually, as being modest......the face is uncovered.  The humanity of the person is on display. 

I see you, and you see me. I experience you, and you experience me. I see your behaviour. You see my behaviour. .....
  R.D. Laing, Politics of Experience

After that Laing gets overly clever by half and must have made Joyce blush but anyway ... the salient point is that it is hard enough to interpret other people when you can read their body language and ... most importantly.... see their faces.  In any society it is important to give and receive feed-back to know when we are giving pleasure and when we are giving offence.

The Stranger within my gate,
He may be true or kind,
But does not talk my talk –
I cannot feel his mind.
I see the face and the eyes and the mouth,
But not the soul behind.

The men of my own stock,
They may do ill or well,
But they tell the lies I am wonted to,
They are used to the lies I tell;
And we do not need interpreters
When we go to buy and sell.

The stranger within my gates,
He may be evil or good,
But I cannot tell what powers control –
What reasons sway his mood;
Nor when the Gods of his far-off land
Shall repossess his blood.

The men of my own stock,
Bitter bad they may be,
But, at least, they hear the things I hear,
And see the things I see;
And whatever I think of them and their likes
They think of the likes of me.

This was my father’s belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be of all one sheaf –
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children’s teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
  Kipling - The stranger

I can't agree with Kipling on his last verse except that it is a widely held belief common not just amongst WASPs but also Catholics, Blacks, Sikhs, Jains, Chinese, French, Proddies, Shia, Sunnis and Wahabis.

But the primary issue is an issue of communication and it is not possible to freely communicate across a veil.

I don't know why but I remember clearly being raised to believe that it was illegal to cover my face at any time in Britain in the 50s and 60s.    Perhaps this was because of residual beliefs left over from various War Measures.  Perhaps it was because my father did his service in a Martial Law environment in Palestine.  I don't know.  But I accept that my opinions are coloured by the way I was raised.

Having said that, I am firmly with the majority.  I cannot conduct conversation with a sack of potatoes - no matter how literate it may be.

E.R. Campbell said:
It depends upon the security classification/designation applied ~ presumably for some good reason ~ to the original document. The public servant who leaked the document should be called to account for his or her choice ... and I believe (s)he made one. I must assume that someone had a valid reason for designating that document, in some way, as being "for official use only" or SECRET or whatever; perhaps it was a briefing related to a Cabinet Confidence, in which case the public servant who leaked it is guilty of a very, very serious "crime" against one of the foundation stones of our, Westminster, style of parliamentary government.

I too believe that the individual has a right to follow their conscience.  But equally society has a right, and the obligation, to enforce the law.

It is not brave to whisper behind backs.  It is brave to act illegally, knowingly, and willingly accept the consequences because your conscience drives you where society will not go.

E.R. Campbell said:
                                              A modern, fashionable burqa and medieval European nuns' habits

I believe that, very broadly and generally, we need to tolerate religious symbols (of course there are some, a few exceptions, things that are intolerable) but we do not need to allow the import of foreign cultural customs.

That's not a burqa, that's a chador (edit: looks like a hijab), most common in Iran.  It differs from a niqab (a garmet leaving only the eyes exposed that is predominently worn by Muslims in the Arab peninsula) or a burqa (a complete face covering worn primarily in South Asia); if anything, this emphasizes how different cultures interact with the Islamic faith.

In Quebec, niqabs are anything but trivial. Legislation introduced by the Liberal government in June would ban face coverings for anyone giving or receiving public services. The province’s leading politicians overwhelmingly support the ban, as does the public. “It’s clear to me that the niqab is not religious, it’s cultural,” said Denis Coderre, the Montreal mayor (and former federal Liberal bigwig and immigration minister). The main criticism of the proposed bill is that it doesn’t go far enough.

Wow. A politician that finally gets it and says so in public.

I don't have any problem with any dress that leaves the face uncovered, whether it be a nun's habit or a hijab.

I object to full coverings that do not let me know what I'm dealing with.

Full coverings, have already been used to disguise ne'er do wells.

http://www.london24.com/news/crime/jailed_the_men_who_tried_to_rob_a_brixton_pawnbrokers_in_burkas_1_4212499

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/19/men-wore-burkas-during-robbery-toronto-police

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-22811466

Just for clarification, on this track of the discussion, here are the images of headdress' worn by women in different Muslim cultures.  Some of these cultures are more strict than others, even demanding ALL women, no matter their faith, to dress accordingly.

11143570_752413001537231_1770463460069663329_n.jpg

OK, at the risk of dragging this thread back on track (yes, I know the niqabn(and sundry variants of Middle Eastern dress) IS an issue, but ...) this article, which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, resonates with me:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-politics-insider/china-isnt-much-of-an-issue-in-this-election-why-not/article26580739/
gam-masthead.png

How a powerhouse of 1.4 billion people was left out of the Munk Debate

SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Nathan VanderKlippe
BEIJING — The Globe and Mail

On June 17, 2011, Rudyard Griffiths came to Roy Thomson Hall to host an important foreign policy debate.

“Be it resolved,” he said, “the 21st century will belong to China.”

On Monday night, Mr. Griffiths returned to Roy Thomson Hall for another key foreign policy discussion, this time with the three men who want to be Canada’s leader.

Only this time, China may as well not have existed.

Syria, Ukraine and the U.S. occupied long segments of the debate, the first of its kind. But Canada’s second-largest trading partner, a country whose ascending economic and political strength have already made it a significant global centre of power, rated no discussion.

The omission baffled observers.

“This debate was where it was expected the parties would make a clear statement of their differing approaches to the challenge China makes to Canadian interests and values,” said Charles Burton, a China expert at Brock University.

He accused debate organizers of not wanting “to be the platform where our important concerns about the challenge that the Chinese regime presents to Canada are aired.”

Neil Tait, a former senior vice-president of Asian banking for Bank of Montreal, and one of Canada’s most-connected figures in China, said the omission underscores a broader problem for a country that prefers “not to engage somewhere that’s 5,000 miles away when we have the United States just across our border.”

Leaving China out of the debate is “a pity. And I think it’s emblematic of what goes on in Canada,” he said. “I’d like to see the next leadership come up with a China strategy, which we don’t have.”

Paul Evans, a professor at the University of British Columbia who has written extensively on Sino-Canadian relations, called it “not just an error of omission, it was an error of commission.” Prof. Evans said, “despite considerable effort on our part to get China, Asia and power shift on to the list of questions, the response [was] that none of the parties really wanted to address them.”

Indeed, the decision to drop China from the debate was not accidental. It came after a month of consideration between organizers and an expert panel that helped whittle discussion down to six topics.

They sought subjects with “the greatest division among the three candidates, because we wanted a debate,” said one of the panel members, who asked not to be named because the advice was confidential.

No panelist disagreed “that China is among the most important relationships. But we could not find real policy disagreement among the three parties. All three parties support trade with China, all three parties expressed concern about human rights. There was no debate question.”

Mr. Griffiths did not respond to a request for comment late Monday. Patrick Luciana, who works alongside the moderator, said he “can’t imagine the Munk debates censoring any topic. All I can say is that China isn’t much of an issue in this election.”

In the ongoing U.S. campaign, by contrast, Beijing’s growing financial and military muscle has occupied the spotlight amid fears of American primacy under threat.

“We don’t win anymore. We lose to China,” Republican candidate Donald Trump has said (a YouTube video mashup watched nearly two million times shows him saying “China” hundreds of times). Other Republicans have called for an aggressive response to Beijing over allegations of cyber-hacking and currency manipulation.

On Sunday, Hillary Clinton added her voice, calling Chinese president Xi Jinping “shameless” for hosting a United Nations meeting on women’s rights while Chinese authorities arrest local women’s rights advocates.

None of those issues are uniquely American concerns: Canada, too, has blamed China for hacking government computers. Canadian manufacturers have also felt the pain of China’s rise – aided in part by its currency – while human rights are concerns in Canada.

And like the rest of the world, Canada is buffeted by China’s rise, a change Janice Stein, founding director of the Munk School of Global Affairs, calls a central element in a new and dramatically different world order now taking form.

“China now has the material capabilities and increasingly the military power to assert itself in East Asia in ways that we really have not seen for almost two-and-a-half centuries,” she said in a recent interview with Mr. Griffiths.

Yet China has barely featured on the campaign trail. The Conservatives have promised to measure and, if necessary, work to “curb foreign speculation in Canada’s residential real estate market” – but the China-oriented policy does not mention the country by name.

China actually received only slightly more attention in the domestic policy debates.

The scarce mentions may reflect waning interest among Canadians. Polling by the Asia Pacific Foundation found that in 2012, 55 per cent felt Asia should be a top priority, and in 2014, that had fallen to 39 per cent. A steep slide in a short time.

China is aware it commands limited attention in Canada.

But statistics suggest a need for more. China surpassed the U.K. as Canada’s second-most important trading partner in 2012, while the number of people speaking Mandarin at home in Canada rose 51 per cent between 2006 and 2011 (only Tagalog climbed faster). Among those whose mother tongue is neither English nor French, 16.3 per cent now speak Chinese languages.

There is, then, a certain irony in the Canadian election itself sinking one possible chance to improve cross-Pacific relations.

Mr. Xi spent last week in the U.S. on a trip that could have brought him to Canada as well. But despite interest from Chinese diplomats in arranging an Ottawa visit, Mr. Xi stayed south of the border. A potentially controversial visit from a foreign dignitary was not considered welcome in the midst of a Canadian campaign – particularly a campaign that has shown little interest in China.

I've been says for years that Canada needs to change the orientation of our foreign policy farther away from comfortable old Europe and more towards strange, complex and oh, so very foreign Asia.

It was very, very appropriate for China's Paramount Leader Xi Jinping to give Canada a miss during the election campaign ... absent some kind of a crisis in Sino-Canadian relations a visit during a campaign would have been seen, correctly, as unwelcome interference.

But: the TPP should have been a springboard to talk about what China, and Asia, more broadly, means to Canada ~ it wasn't and that's a pity.

George Wallace said:
Just for clarification, on this track of the discussion, here are the images of headdress' worn by women in different Muslim cultures.  Some of these cultures are more strict than others, even demanding ALL women, no matter their faith, to dress accordingly.

11143570_752413001537231_1770463460069663329_n.jpg

George, do you have a link to that website?  I would like to share it on Facebook.

This report, which is reproduced under the fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is a wee bit less than illuminating:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberal-candidate-accuses-privy-council-office-defence-of-meddling-in-campaign/article26586397/
gam-masthead.png

Liberal candidate accuses Privy Council Office, Defence of meddling in campaign

AMHERST, N.S. — The Canadian Press

A federal Liberal candidate says he was kicked out of an armoury by military officials in Nova Scotia, who he claims told him his presence at the crumbling heritage site was in violation of the Elections Act.

Bill Casey, who’s running in the riding of Cumberland-Colchester, says he and several veterans were trying to visit the Col. James Layton Ralston Armoury in Amherst last week when a military spokesman told him to leave because he was in contravention of the act and “he knew it.”

Casey says he challenged the official on the clause, only to be told later that the spokesman, Mike Bonin, was taking direction from the Privy Council Office.

Bonin refused to comment today, saying he was “implicated in the matter,” while the PCO did not respond to a request for comment.

Casey says he has filed a complaint with the Chief Electoral Officer and asked him to investigate.

Casey, a former Tory MP who was expelled from Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative caucus in 2007, says he wanted to highlight the poor state of the armoury and press Ottawa to follow through on promises to repair it.

Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back