• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ottawa Citizen, in a report on the (LGen (ret'd) Andrew Leslie campaign, suggests that the "Liberals in Ottawa are feeling saucy these days, they talk about winning Nepean and Kanata-Carleton, Conservative strongholds more vulnerable than they have been with the retirements of John Baird and Gordon O’Connor, and Pierre Poilievre’s decamping for the even truer-blue riding of Carleton."

Given Ottawa's large population of civil servants, especially middle and lower rank public servants, I would not be surprised to see the CPC take big hits ~ employment policies, like the ongoing sick leave disputes,  matter to most civil servants ~ in all Ottawa area constituencies.

Anyway, the full Citizen article is worth a read for its take on defence issues.

E.R. Campbell said:
The Ottawa Citizen, in a report on the (LGen (ret'd) Andrew Leslie campaign, suggests that the "Liberals in Ottawa are feeling saucy these days, they talk about winning Nepean and Kanata-Carleton, Conservative strongholds more vulnerable than they have been with the retirements of John Baird and Gordon O’Connor, and Pierre Poilievre’s decamping for the even truer-blue riding of Carleton."

Given Ottawa's large population of civil servants, especially middle and lower rank public servants, I would not be surprised to see the CPC take big hits ~ employment policies, like the ongoing sick leave disputes,  matter to most civil servants ~ in all Ottawa area constituencies.

Anyway, the full Citizen article is worth a read for its take on defence issues.

How soon they forget the Press that Leslie received in 2011 when he stated that DND and the CAF should cut 11,000 civilian and military.  Many of those civilians and CAF members live in Orleans. 

George Wallace said:
How soon they forget the Press that Leslie received in 2011 when he stated that DND and the CAF should cut 11,000 civilian and military.  Many of those civilians and CAF members live in Orleans.

Actually, George, there was a lot of merit in what he said, there was some nonsense, too, but it's Ottawa, so we have to expect that.

If enough of those cuts had been taken by/in HQs, as he proposed, then the CF might have, now, have enough money and positions to enlist a couple of thousand more sailors, soldiers and air force personnel for our ships and units. Some of what he recommended was contracting out: many of the people "cut" would have found good, long term jobs, right here in Ottawa, with contractors. Andrew Leslie deserves to share some of the blame for the HQ bloat that seems to be sucking the life out of the CF ... but many, many more deserve a lot more blame than he.

And here is some red orange meat for the Harper Haters,™ from good ol' NDP leftie Gerald Caplan, in an article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

My emphasis added
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/the-uncertainty-in-this-election-is-unbearable/article26472928/
gam-masthead.png

The uncertainty in this election is unbearable

GERALD CAPLAN
Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Sep. 22, 2015

Gerald Caplan is an Africa scholar, a former NDP national director and a regular panelist on CBC’s Power & Politics.

Like others, I’m having a traumatic election campaign. First, the Prime Minister’s fearmongering has worked. We’re now terrified by a particularly dangerous Muslim woman in Mississauga who is determined to wear her niqab when she’s sworn in as a citizen. We’re scared silly at the thought of bringing to Canada all those terrorists from the Middle East so cunningly disguised as wretched immigrants, a.k.a. Muslims. I freak because Stephen Harper keeps reminding us how any government but his would ruin the country. And not least, I don’t know how to find out if I’m the right stock or not. I sure hope not.

Politics: It really can drive you around the bend. I’m seriously considering hiding away from all further election news. I don’t think I can stand it a minute longer. Not only is there so much to fear. There’s also so much to flummox us, too, like trying to figure out when the NDP and Liberals have exchanged programs. And maybe most unbearably, it’s unhinging trying to guess the final outcome. Yet this is the most important election of our lifetime.

For me, it’s the uncertainty that’s most unbearable. That’s what’s doing me in. Who knew making history would be so nerve-wracking? Every time I hear someone say the NDP is in the lead and this election could be won by any of the three parties, I begin to shake all over. It’s quite awkward if I happen to be drinking something. But I’m never sure whether it’s due to the fear of losing, or of winning.

Look, for those of us who have given ourselves to the social-democratic movement for our entire existence, this is a surreal moment, an out-of-body experience, nearly. An NDP government has been a wildly unrealistic dream, a total fantasy, for all that time. Yet here we are.

But where are we? The polls show a three-way tie. It’s unimaginably stressful. Look, edging toward the Promised Land should be the highlight of a lifetime. Jack Layton brought us to the entrance. Let’s win it for le bon Jack! Surely le bon Tom is the Joshua who will lead us in. But it’s all causing lots of us too much angst. My mind reels from one extreme to the other. What if we win? Can we handle it? What if we lose? Problem is, there are no losses that we can call moral victories any more. How am I supposed to cope?

NDP supporters are still high as a kite. Just as the leader is ready, so are his people. They’re inspired by hope and excitement, and they see Thomas Mulcair as their deliverer. They trust him, even when they’re surprised by what he’s actually saying. They believe in him. They don’t know him well but they see him as the great hope. How would they recover if this wild trip fails to pan out? Maybe they’d join me in negotiating the many stages of mourning.

There’s the rub for New Democrats today. It seems to them so self-evident who the superior leader is. Stephen Harper is so obviously unworthy. He’s such a nasty piece of work and he’s done terrible things to Canada. Yet he’s doing fine, even better than he was earlier in the campaign. How is that possible? New Democrats shake their heads, failing utterly to comprehend his appeal. He might just pull it off again! The country will surely be kaput, ruined. We’ll have to leave, flee. But where to go? Think Samuel Beckett: You must go on, I can’t go on, I’ll go on.

Then there’s this Trudeau problem. NDPers can’t figure this one out at all. He seems to them so callow. Just a kid. They watch helplessly as he nips at Mr. Mulcair’s heels, like a yapping yet adorable terrier. Millions want to pet him. But seriously, when you think about someone feeling, looking, acting like a prime minister, do you see Justin Trudeau, or Tom Mulcair? It’s really a no-brainer. A slam dunk. So how can we lose?

But how can we win? They’re all against us. Just wait for that bombardment of Tory ads. These neocons are awfully good at doing really bad things. And wait too for the barrage of Liberal ads. Can the NDP survive that attack from all sides? We must fight back. But how? What do we do? Those other guys are really tough. They play so much dirtier. Of course New Dems are proud we don’t play as dirty. That’s not who we are (with exceptions). But then aren’t we defenceless against the big bad wolves and terriers? It’ll be so humiliating, such an unbearable disappointment, if we lose now.

Here’s another mind-boggling question: What if we actually won?

No wonder I’m a basket case. When will it all end? Being the conscience of the nation was so easy. Being so close to power can make you quite nuts.

I wonder what being in power really does to you. Will we ever find out?

Enjoy!  :nod:

Wow! When Gerald Caplan just fantasizes about the NDP getting power he starts to act like a 'Pinky and the Brain' cartoon character.

I truly do fear what will happen to Canada if the NDP gets their hands on the reins.

I suppose I must be on of those dreaded 'Neocons'.  :)

The Globe and Mail has updated its Election Forecast and says there is a:

39% chance that the Conservatives get the most seats;

41% chance that the NDP gets the most seats;

23% chance that the Liberals gets the most seats;

And, there is a

21% chance that the Green party gets more than one seat;

18% chance that all three main parties at 100 seats or more;

1% chance that any party gets a majority.

Jed said:
Wow! When Gerald Caplan just fantasizes about the NDP getting power he starts to act like a 'Pinky and the Brain' cartoon character.

I truly do fear what will happen to Canada if the NDP gets their hands on the reins.

I suppose I must be on of those dreaded 'Neocons'.  :)

Muclair already said today he'd roll back the EI rate decreases, but appoint "an independent board of directors" to oversee the fund. I wonder how long it'll take him to get his hand into that cookie jar after he he sees how fast its growing.

And, according to a report in the Ottawa Citizen, Altair gets his wish. The report is headlined, "‘No circumstances’ under which Trudeau would support Harper continuing as prime minister" and says: "In his strongest statements to date, Trudeau said “there are no circumstances” under which he would prop up a minority Conservative government ... “I have spent my entire political career fighting against Mr. Harper’s narrow and meaner vision of what Canada can be and what the government should do,” he said Tuesday after an arts-and-culture announcement in Montreal ... “There are no circumstances in which I would support Stephen Harper to continue being prime minister of this country.”"

Remius said:
Well, the election has hit a new low with this...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/election/harper-should-apologize-for-politicizing-terry-fox-mulcair-says-1.2575175

While Mr. Mulcair is probably right (and I think an apology was issed from teh campaign on this) he is just as bad by making it an issue and calling on the PM to apologise.

But, Prime Minister Harper says, that "the [Terry Fox] foundation in his name put forward the very ideas on cancer research funding the Conservatives announced over the weekend. Prime Minister Harper is quoted as saying, "“In August of this year we received a request from the Terry Fox Institute and the Terry Fox Foundation for the kinds of contributions and matching funds we’re setting up ... we fulfilled that request; I think it’s a great policy.”"

Maybe it's M Mulcair, not Prime Minister Harper who owes the apology ... for this one.

E.R. Campbell said:
And, according to a report in the Ottawa Citizen, Altair gets his wish. The report is headlined, "‘No circumstances’ under which Trudeau would support Harper continuing as prime minister" and says: "In his strongest statements to date, Trudeau said “there are no circumstances” under which he would prop up a minority Conservative government ... “I have spent my entire political career fighting against Mr. Harper’s narrow and meaner vision of what Canada can be and what the government should do,” he said Tuesday after an arts-and-culture announcement in Montreal ... “There are no circumstances in which I would support Stephen Harper to continue being prime minister of this country.”"

The Toronto Sun also covers M Trudeaus "no circumstances would I support Harper" remarks and reports several hundred millions dollars in new arts funding:

"Earlier Tuesday, at an event with local candidates and supporters, Trudeau announced the Liberals would give $380 million in additional funding for the arts and undo Conservative funding cuts to the CBC.

Trudeau said he would reverse the $115 million in annual cuts the Conservative government made to the national broadcaster and would top up funding for CBC/Radio-Canada by an additional $35 million a year.

He also said he would double the annual funding for the Canada Council of the Arts to $360 million from $180 million.

Telefilm Canada and the National Film Board would together get an additional $25 million a year, he said."

Too bad he couldn't add that to DND's budget, but ...

I think he has finally realized that there is no actual chance of him becoming PM, so he is pulling an NDP....promise any and all.............

E.R. Campbell said:
I've held my promise to stay away from here, the least you can do is not drag me into stuff.  :-\

If Trudeau won't support a Conservative minority, he will preside over the death of the Liberal Party.  He should consider that Mulcair only was at 20 % in the polls a lot less than a year ago, not far from their historical average.  It was Trudeau's bone headed comments and inexperience that brought the Liberals down.  Making Mulcair PM will send the Liberal Party the way of the Liberal Party in the UK, into oblivion.  There is simply no need for 2 parties to be fighting over the leftist vote, considering that Mulcair has abandoned the hard left at least until the election is over.

I am sick to the death of the constant Harper bashers/haters in the media. Can't even watch or listen to the news. Last night Global spent 12 of 30 minutes Trudeau fondling/Harper bashing with hardly a mention of the NDP.

If the NDP form the next government, good on them. It will be the first and last time. Get it over with. It's like waiting for a dip shit boss to get posted. 

Rocky Mountains said:
If Trudeau won't support a Conservative minority, he will preside over the death of the Liberal Party.  He should consider that Mulcair only was at 20 % in the polls a lot less than a year ago, not far from their historical average.  It was Trudeau's bone headed comments and inexperience that brought the Liberals down.  Making Mulcair PM will send the Liberal Party the way of the Liberal Party in the UK, into oblivion.  There is simply no need for 2 parties to be fighting over the leftist vote, considering that Mulcair has abandoned the hard left at least until the election is over.

I encourage you to look at George Dangerfield's The Strange Death of Liberal England (1935); most libraries should have a copy, if not, there's always Amazon, which has it in stock. The situation has changed since the first decade of the 20th century but some of the circumstances are parallel.

The Question is: if the NDP moves, successfully, into and occupies enough of the centre, the mushy middle, can the Liberals differentiate themselves enough from the bold, brash newcomers?

Rocky Mountains said:

As I've always been centre-left, I never really paid much attention to what was happening to the PC and Reform/Canadian Alliance parties. Is what's happening now between the Liberals and NDP similar to what happened between the PC and CA? Were the PC and CA very closely aligned ideologically or were they just trying to combine the right0wing vote in order to defeat the Liberals? Traditionally I'd say there was too much difference between the NDP and LPC for them to ever combine in the way the PC and CA did; Left-of-Centre vs. True Left-Wing. But with Mulcair leaning toward the centre, and Trudea leaning toward the left, could we see the Liberal Democratic Party of Canada? New Liberal Democrats? Democratic Liberal Party?

ERC I think that's part of the Liberals problem. The Chretien years were conservative light, so why not vote for the real thing. Now they're left of the NDP. But all politics and no policy

Lumber said:
could we see the Liberal Democratic Party of Canada? New Liberal Democrats? Democratic Liberal Party?

Well........at least then we would have all the dippers in one pot.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back