• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Education Requirements to become a MP or MPO

tannerthehammer said:
Ya I'm in school...I'm a history/labour studies major at Brock University...I already have a police foundations diploma and yes I want to be an MP NCM...I'm also currently a reservist in the Artillery and will be CT'ing to the Regs once my degree is done and upon successful completion of the MPAC process...
Nice.  How do you like Arty Reserves?  How come the wait to go MP, want the degree first?  I'm hoping that I'll be enrolled for CTP with the RCMP this summer.  In background investigation now, so it's only a matter of time unless something comes up which I don't think it will.  MP is more of a back up plan for me.

Gorak said:
Nice.  How do you like Arty Reserves?  How come the wait to go MP, want the degree first?  I'm hoping that I'll be enrolled for CTP with the RCMP this summer.  In background investigation now, so it's only a matter of time unless something comes up which I don't think it will.  MP is more of a back up plan for me.

Arty is not my thing...It's really boring....Yes, I wanted to get a degree first before I entered the Regs because who is to say I would stay there forever and I knew it would be tough to complete a degree while in the Regs....I thought about RCMP but it doesn't really appeal to me...The one good thing about the degree is it also gives me the option of CSIS...

SupersonicMax said:
He indeed went through RMC. What difference does it make?

Max

I haven't read the full thread yet... but the difference is that the branch still takes ROTP candidates from RMC, and RMC does not offer a degree related to Police Administration. I took history and english at RMC. From an ROTP/RMC perspective, as long as the candidate can pass the MP Assessment Centre (not entirely easy, having been an administrator on one), there is not a requirement for a police degree. I don't know, not being in that world, why they would require one for DEO folks on the officer side, but perhaps it is making up for the fact that the RMC folks, by the time they reach MP Officer Course, have had four years military experience, and can adapt to the requirements better than a civvie off the street. Just a guess, not writ.

That said, you're also looking to join 32 MP Pl - a reserve unit, unless I'm mistaken. It seems to me, considering their Army-bent as opposed to the police side of the fence, that their requirements for a police-specific degree would not be as stringent as the reg force. I may be off base here and missing something - it's 0130 on a Saturday morning, and I'm slightly sleepy-eyed.

Poppa said:
And to further muddy the waters, Res MP who have done a tour employed as MP in TFA are being offered CT without the educational requirements.
As everyone has said...talk to a recuiter....or join a reserve Pl, get your 3's done, go overseas (to Afghanistan mind you) then CT to Reg.

This is misinformation, unless things have VERY significantly changed in the last month or so. I have an email from LCol Mac, the Army PM, stating that there will be NO, repeat, NO CT for reserve MP with operational experience offered at this point. They are indeed looking very hard at it, but there is nothing in the books yet, unless there is something that has been promulgated since I went on post-deployment leave from Afghanistan in March.

In my reserve MP unit, you do not need any post secondary to be considered, although preference will likely be given to those who do have it, as it is a competition. We have several recent recruits whom do not have a Law Enforcement Diploma.

captjtq said:
This is misinformation, unless things have VERY significantly changed in the last month or so. I have an email from LCol Mac, the Army PM, stating that there will be NO, repeat, NO CT for reserve MP with operational experience offered at this point. They are indeed looking very hard at it, but there is nothing in the books yet, unless there is something that has been promulgated since I went on post-deployment leave from Afghanistan in March.
Yes and No, there was recently emails making the rounds from the LFPM for those who were deployed and showed interest in CT'ing. Again nothing has "officially" been written for entry guidelines. But those who still wanted in and had done a tour are being considered. There was a caveat of having 2 University credits, but even that could be waved. PM me your DIN email and I'll send you what I have.

Hey guys,

I was reading on the forces.ca site on the military police info, and saw something I hadn't noticed before. It said that a college diploma in Law and Security, Police Foundations or a similar program is required, but it also says that Relevant work experience will also be considered for education equivalence. My question is, what would be consideredrelevant work experience? Obviously being a civilian LEO would be one of them, but is that the only one? Reason I ask is, I have 1 year of Law and Security under me, but 5 years in private security (uniformed and loss prevention, 2 of those years were in a supervisory/trainer capacity). Would those 5 years work experience and 1 year Law and Security be considered equivalent to two years college? I'll be contacting a CFRC later today to be 100% sure, just wanted to know what you guys think

5 years in private security (uniformed and loss prevention, 2 of those years were in a supervisory/trainer capacity). Would those 5 years work experience and 1 year Law and Security be considered equivalent to two years college?

Highly doubt it but the CFRC/D has all the information on what constitutes an equivalency. Combine that experience with the diploma and you make a good applicant for MP.

Thanks Kincanuck for your reply. I called the CFRC/D handling my application and they said that it's difficult but has happened in the past. I'm guessing those were exceptional candidates. Only other question I have now is, would I be able to apply for MP now while I do my second year or would I have to wait until I finish my second year. Wish that question would've popped into my head while I was on the phone. I'll have to call again and ask, lol.

rustysoap said:
Thanks Kincanuck for your reply. I called the CFRC/D handling my application and they said that it's difficult but has happened in the past. I'm guessing those were exceptional candidates. Only other question I have now is, would I be able to apply for MP now while I do my second year or would I have to wait until I finish my second year. Wish that question would've popped into my head while I was on the phone. I'll have to call again and ask, lol.

Definitely ask the CFRC/D but when I was doing the job, you had to have the diploma before you could apply unlike DEO where you could apply before you graduate.  But things do change.

rustysoap said:
Only other question I have now is, would I be able to apply for MP now while I do my second year or would I have to wait until I finish my second year.

Rustysoap,

I've asked the same question at the CFRC and the answer was that you could apply in your last semester of studies as long as you get a letter from your Dean saying that you are expected to graduate.

Inspir said:
Rustysoap,

I've asked the same question at the CFRC and the answer was that you could apply in your last semester of studies as long as you get a letter from your Dean saying that you are expected to graduate.

Thanks for your response Inspir, very much appreciated.

I am looking at going MP i am currently a Infantry reservist, can I just remuster to the MP or do I need to have the law and security course, also I am applying for the auxiliary police in my city in jan when they begin to hire again and was wondering if that would be enough for me to get in? I know this has probably already been mentioned but I did look for it and couldnt find it. :cdn: :salute:

1RNBR said:
......... I know this has probably already been mentioned but I did look for it and couldnt find it. :cdn: :salute:

You sure didn't try very hard.  I typed in "requirements" and found all kinds of info. 

Im considering joining the Military Police as a NCM after getting a diploma in Police foundations if I can't score high enough on the Aptitude test to be an officer. Im wondering, what are the chances of me becoming and MP? I know it depends on the individual but is this the sort of job a lot of people apply for? When you really look at it, a Police Foundations diploma is useless if you don't wanna become an MP, most people who graduate from it end up being security guards and most never become police officers. So do less then half the people who apply even get through the MPAC?

I was also looking at the pay scales comparing MP which is Spec1 and Officer pay, it seems NCM members get paid more since they get promoted to Cpl after graduation/training, so a NCM member would be making about 10,000 more a year then an MPO and if the MPO got a promotion after grad it, a NCM MP would still be making about 5,000 more a year. Why do NCM's get paid more? Is the job harder since your out more in the police car? I think the pay should be even at least, but thats just my opinion.

If you are looking to be a MPO, a Police Foundations Diploma won't meet the academic requirement, you might want to do a bit more research with regards to that.

For the MPAC, there is no set number of people who are deemed acceptable.  Some MPACs have the majority of pers deemed acceptable, other MPACs have fewer.  I think it is safe to say that well over 50% of each MPAC are deemed acceptable.

Reference the pay, yes, the starting MPO is the lowest paid in the Guardhouse when they arrive but that situation quickly reverses.

I know a PF Diploma won't be suitable, Im only going to do that if I can't score high enough on the Aptitude test to be an officer, if I can then I would be going to university instead. Do you have to take something in a Law field to be an MPO in university? Im interested in the job but I would rather take Political Science or History.

You mentioned that MPO's pay starts low, but when they arrive that quickly reverses, are they promoted quickly?

Although you can do any degree, the preference is you do a Crim related one.  Hence, if two candidates are otherwise equal yet one wants to do a Poli Sci degree while the other wants to do a Criminology one...

For pay, look at the pay scales at:  CF Pay.

Macrinus88 said:
I know a PF Diploma won't be suitable, Im only going to do that if I can't score high enough on the Aptitude test to be an officer, if I can then I would be going to university instead. Do you have to take something in a Law field to be an MPO in university? Im interested in the job but I would rather take Political Science or History.

You mentioned that MPO's pay starts low, but when they arrive that quickly reverses, are they promoted quickly?

I know for a fact that a Criminology, Sociology or Political Science degree is necessary, since they are all inter related. I have a Soc degree and it is mostly Crim courses. The same applies with the Poli Sci degree. Hope that helped. Also, if you wanted to go to university to get your degree on ROTP, then you definitely have to compete for it cause most of the time they only take a few. On my MPOAC last month there were 6 ppl vying for 2 ROTP positions.

Best of luck to you

Back