• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drug Addict sues dealer....and wins!

FascistLibertarian said:
what about all the people who have quit smoking, booze, other drugs?

I quit smoking after 3 years. I know its not alot like some other people who are lifers.
But I "chose" to smoke and I did. And I also "chose" to stop and did.

People do things wether it be 10 pills of X, or 3 tabs of LSD only to escape this reality, because they feel "held down"
(take a look at the acid wave of the 60's in San Francisco) it started as a way to get out of this reality and have total or "mental" freedom. Some people experimented and stopped, now they are lawyers or judges, yet they made the choice to quit using the drug and get on with their life. But the other percentage of people like it too much that they became addicted. ie: became battery heads, and pill poppers, because thats the state of mind they enjoy and can "comprehend"
So saying that when people use drugs they give up their right to excersise choice in my opinion(keyword) is an ignorant statement to make without actually having expirienced it yourself??

(and yes, I used to know many a people who would go on 3-4 day psychadelic trips back in high school, thats why I'm able to say this. I have seen it first hand)

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Read carefully:  At no time did I suggest that addicts gave up their right to exercise choice.  I said they didn't have the capacity to exercise choice, which is a symptom of their illness. 

Big difference.

scoutfinch said:
 But, once you are addicted, it is too late and then you cease to be able to exercise choice.  

I was referring to this little line you wrote.

I know.  I know what I wrote.  At no time did I suggest that they lost the right to exercise choice. 

By the way, psychedelics are by and large NON addictive.  So, the high school social experiment to which you referred are irrelevent to a discussion of addictions.  It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Edited to add: 

Unfortunately, I have run out of time and will have to bolt.  I just wanted to add a comment to anyone reading this that finds themselves struggling with addictions:  Addictions can't be beaten by yourself.  Addictions are an illness and not a personal failing.  There is no shame in seeking help.

well, then excuse me for misinterpreting what you were trying to say. My mistake and I apologize. :salute:
But what I really dont agree is to what you said about psychadelic or psychoactive substances not being addictive.
One of my best friends, he started out with 2 pills every once in a blue moon, then it climbed up to every other day, from that to every day until finally he dropped out of school and so on and so forth..much like alcohol. Sad really...
See, thats why I dont agree with your latest post.
I've seen firsthand what those mind altering drugs do to people. Its not a pretty sight.
I guess what I'm trying to say is this:
No matter what the substance, if the individual is not of strong spirit there is no way in hell they are going to come back to this side of the "looking glass"

Sorry if I offended you in any way.
I really didnt mean to, its just how I feel on this subject...so that means I gotta learn how to keep my emotions separate then my words.
Once again I apologize.

Sorry:  I should have been more clear.  

There is a difference between physically addictive (ie. meth, crack, coke, heroin, alcohol, nicotine etc) and psychologically addictive (the hallocinogens, pot, etc).  Some argue that the 'psychologically addictive' drugs should be characterized as habit forming but not dependency causing.  I don't know where I stand on that because it has been a long time since I have worked (even tangentially) with addictions and I have no experience with dealing with the 'psychologically addicted' or 'habitual' drug user (vs. physically addicted or addicted).

Hate to cut an interesting exchange short but I really must run.  I am not trying to avoid your comments.

Edited to add:  No need to apologize to me.  No offense was taken.  I understand that this is a subject that may cut pretty close for some people and easily evokes many emotions. 

fbr2o75 said:
In the medical community alcoholism is recognised as a sickness.

Umm no. Alcoholism was originally classed as an illness to get funding for treatment, not because it is an actual medical condition.

Addictive behaviour in general is a symptom related to underlying psychological disorders, at least that is the latest out of the ARF.

scoutfinch said:
You know what they say about addictions??

Two things:

(1)  You have to hit rock bottom before you get help; and

(2)  Once an addict, always an addict. 

That is why they are called sober addicts.  The idea behind hitting rock bottom is that you have reached a point where the only option is quitting.  Given the point that you have fallen to, continuing with your addiction is no longer an option.  Hence, there still is no real options... just the choice is more positive.
Actually there is no scientific data to back up either of those statements. In the only studies done there is no diference in outcomes after three years between 12 step programs and simple abstinence combined with counselling.

Back