• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Draft Dodger Reunion - this summer in BC

I've read all the posts adn have to agree, emotions are running very high on this one. My two cents worth is that if you vlunteer to serve, whatever country your are from, part of  the requirment of service is to no longer have political alliances. You also pretty much agree not to have any type of political or social opinion. Service requires that even if you don't agree with the decisions of your superiors/government, you still obey the orders that are passed down the COC. The only time you have the right to refuse is when those orders are unlawfull.
I have to agree with the others who are of the mind that deserters and dodgers are cowards. If you run someone else takes your spot, simple as that. You might as well shoot them yourself for all the difference it makes.
Some people may not agree, and hell, I may even be talking out my a$$, but that's my take on it.
Marc :cdn:

M Feetham said:
You also pretty much agree not to have any type of political or social opinion.

Although I agree with the intent of your post I have to take exception to the above. A member of the Military must be politically and socially aware. You are right in that they may not act on these believes WHILE IN UNIFORM, or give the impression in any other way that their support is officially sanctioned. The first line of defence of any democracy is an informed aware citizenry and that includes its military.

For Enzo -- reference message number 39

Just to clarify.  I've been to Alcatraz a couple of times, (as a visitor mind you: I'm neither that old or that larcenous).  Alcatraz was originally a MILITARY PRISON, not civilian.  Indeed it was built by servicemen who were prisoners, sort like like building your own gallows

Your message seemed to suggest that you thought the draft dodgers/contientious objectors were being held in solitary inside a civilian prision.  Such was not the case. Sorry just being pedantic.

M Feetham said:
I've read all the posts adn have to agree, emotions are running very high on this one. My two cents worth is that if you vlunteer to serve, whatever country your are from, part of  the requirment of service is to no longer have political alliances. You also pretty much agree not to have any type of political or social opinion. Service requires that even if you don't agree with the decisions of your superiors/government, you still obey the orders that are passed down the COC. The only time you have the right to refuse is when those orders are unlawfull.

I don't have a reference for this, it's off the top of my head and therefore could be suspect. I seem to recall a German general speaking after the end of WW2 and he commented on how the German military allowed things to happen as they did. He was of the opinion that the German military was an organization that prided itself on its professionalism and they did not see the value of being involved in politics. He later changed his opinion about that and mused aloud that maybe they should have taken an interest in politics in the 1930's.

I'm going to see if I can't validate this with a reference. For now, it's just what I recall as I said.

Signalman150 said:
For Enzo -- reference message number 39

Just to clarify.  I've been to Alcatraz a couple of times, (as a visitor mind you: I'm neither that old or that larcenous).  Alcatraz was originally a MILITARY PRISON, not civilian.  Indeed it was built by servicemen who were prisoners, sort like like building your own gallows

Your message seemed to suggest that you thought the draft dodgers/contientious objectors were being held in solitary inside a civilian prision.  Such was not the case. Sorry just being pedantic.

No worries. I clearly said:
When the island was a military prison from 1850-1933, it housed many conscientious objectors during WW1.

Taken from the following website:
Later it was a disciplinary barracks for military prisoners, a prison for recalcitrant Indians, and then a P.O. W. facility for Spanish American Philippines Islands prisoners and World War 1 conscientious objectors.
http://www.militarymuseum.org/Alcatraz.html

While there, the basement was closed, but we were having a discussion with a park warden who was more than happy to oblige my dark side. It seems that there was a section of the basement with 3 cells that were literally 100% dark, very cold, etc. This was used for a long time, well past the point where the prison reformed of course. These were referred to as the dungeons. Upon my return home, a program on the History channel aired entitled: The Dungeons of Alcatraz and it built upon what was learned onsite. There was an objector (name forgotten) who was housed in the prison along with ~100 others during WW1, he was there from 1919-1921(22?) and as he did not cooperate with the guards at first, he ended up spending a fair amount of time down there (his prison # was found etched into a wall along with many others) although the warden (a man well known for his views on reform) was not supposed to be using the facility as such, etc. As a side note, this man DID cooperate after that and was released in the early 20s without further conflict with the authorities.

Alcatraz was intended to be the prison to house the worst of the worst and I've no problem with that, a place where you couldn't escape and hope went with it. I'm just surprised that the objectors were sent there, seems a bit much to have people who espouse nonviolence and peace to be incarcerated with men who were killers, rapists, etc. Then again, I notice from the above that political prisoners (POWs, recalcitrant Indians, etc.) seemed to be in vogue for awhile and that maybe the message of abandon all hope ye was intended to act as a warning to dissuade those who may consider following in that path; for those whose views differed from the state was intentional.

EX Sarge,
What I meant was that we are not supposed to openly support any political party by attending rallies and such, yes we are allowed to vote and yes we should be aware of political happenings. I will try and find the regs on this as I am not sure of the exact wording. Sorry if i didn't say it clearly. Working on it.

paracowboy said:
you're all ****ed up like a soup sandwich, my friend. You keep using the words "Conscientious Objector" and "Draft Dodger" synonymously. They are not the same thing. Conscientious Objectors serve in the military when drafted, they simply don't carry arms. They serve as stretcher bearers, ammo bearers, pot wallopers, etc, to free up fighting men. Some refuse to Serve at all, and go to jail, or face other sanctions. But, they take a stand. They take a stand for their principles, and perform their Duty simultaneously. I have nothing but respect for them.

A draft dodger flees, rather than take a stand. They accept every privilige and Right their nation provides them, but refuse to perform their Duty, or accept their responsibilites. They are cowards.

A deserter flees after agreeing to serve, leaving his comrades in the lurch. They are cowards.
+100%.  Especially with regards to the Conscientious Objectors, or anyone else who says "Not me.  I refuse, but in deferrence to the rule of law, I shall stand by my decision and accept the consequences for it."  That takes cohones.  Draft Dodgers are perhaps, maybe, a step above a deserter (case by case, naturally).  Instead of dodging the draft, they could say "Due to my principles of x (whatever that is), I refuse to take part in the killing of other humans.  I do, however, believe in serving my society, so instead of taking up arms, I shall take up a spatula, stethoscope, whatever, and aid my fellow citizens in other ways."

There have been some idiot "draft resisters" in the US over the past year or so. These are guys who refuse to register with Selective Service and try to make a big deal out of it. YAWN. They get two seconds in the local press and then the federal government cuts of their student loans. You don't want to register for the draft, a program that's not in use, fine. Go get a job in McDonalds and stay there.

For EX Sarge and any one else who is interested the regs applying to political affiliation is as follows. QR&O's 19.44, Para 7. It states among other things that members of the regular force shall not be affiliated with any political party or canvass for a political party. There is more in the order so if you can read up on it.

Well summed up....

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

No pride in harbouring cowards from U.S.
Ian Robinson, Calgary Sun, 16 Jul 06
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists/Robinson_Ian/2006/07/16/1687426-sun.html

Aw, it must have been such a beautiful moment.

There was a conference of Vietnam-era draft dodgers and deserters in B.C. last weekend, coming together after all these years to celebrate their deep-seated courage in avoiding service in the Vietnam war by coming to Canada.

They unveiled a statue showing a Canadian welcoming two fleeing Americans with open arms.

The sculpture was originally to have found a home in a municipal setting, but the national uproar it touched off sees it now in a private gallery in Nelson.

I think the fuss would have been more muted had the statue perhaps better reflected the reality of those times.

Shoulda been a chicken hiding behind a beaver.

Yep. A beautiful moment. That is if you were born without the capacity to feel shame.

Let's get something clear here.

Vietnam was a moral war.

A bunch of folks written off at the time as loonies by the left predicted that if South Vietnam fell it would become a brutal Communist dictatorship that would herd dissidents into concentration camps, that other south Asian nations would also fall.

Well, after Saigon fell, those predictions came true. Life in Vietnam, particularly for ethnic Chinese, became so horrific that it gave birth to the boat people, who were thousands of desperate souls who crammed themselves and their children into leaky boats and cast themselves into the ocean to get away from the monsters who'd "liberated" their homeland.

They became fodder for sharks and pirates, but it was worth the risk to get out of yet another "people's democratic republic" under a red flag.

Another Communist, Pol Pot, who conquered Cambodia, was worse. He killed off millions of his own countrymen; their skulls are still heaped in pyramids around that nation.

After the war, North Vietnamese leaders admitted they'd been defeated militarily, but that was irrelevant. The real war was won in the streets of America.

In a very real sense, every U.S. draft dodger and deserter helped consign the millions who suffered and died under south Asian communism to their fate.

There's also a difference between taking a principled stand against a war or government policy and running away like a girlie-man.

Muhammad Ali opposed the Vietnam War and refused to be drafted. He was convicted and sentenced to prison. His career was ruined, he was stripped of his title and couldn't return to the ring until his appeal was upheld.

He took a risk and prevailed ... and would have gone to prison for what he believed in.

Henry David Thoreau, one of the patron saints of the left, quit paying the Massachusetts poll tax to protest southern slavery. He went to jail. Somebody paid his fine and when his jailers went to free him, he told them no one had the moral right to do that, and that he wanted to stay in jail.

The jailer threw him out anyway but it all worked out for Thoreau anyway. He got a book out of it, called Civil Disobedience.

The discredited usual suspects of the Sixties turned up for the B.C. event. The aging George McGovern, who ran on a peace-at-any-price platform against Richard Nixon and had his butt handed to him, gave a speech in which he said the war in Iraq is the new Vietnam. He also said, "I always appreciated the generosity and imagination of Canada... I think history will be on the side of the Canadians."

Um, no. This Canadian is deeply embarrassed.

Tom Hayden, the former Mrs. Jane Fonda, said Canadians shouldn't worry about alienating the U.S. by harbouring the current, tiny stream of deserters from the American military (none of whom, by the way, were drafted). After all, we survived giving safe haven to the last generation of U.S. cowards.

"The problem here is that Harper and Bush are ideological bedfellows," Hayden said.

He said this as Canadian soldiers are fighting and dying side-by-side with Americans in Afghanistan against the Taliban, the cradle of modern Islamofascist terrorism.

This is a guy whose wife, when her nation was at war with North Vietnam, travelled there, was photographed sitting smiling on an anti-aircraft gun aimed at her countrymen, and told the world that the North Vietnamese were treating their U.S. prisoners well.

Tell that to Senator John McCain, who still can't raise his arms above his shoulders because of the torture he endured at their hands.

These losers can spend the rest of their lives justifying their simultaneously traitorous and cowardly actions.

History will judge them far more harshly, I think, than they can even imagine.

Back