• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Tags

• Thread starter Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date Start date
geo said:
Obtaining a new set of tags isn't all that complicated

Do you know your Name, Svc #, blood type, and religion? Then all it takes is an email

By the time you finish your medicals, they will know a lot more about you than just your blood type.

Tom

just leaving it to my imagination after saying it like that sounds kinda scary haha. It's one of those lines that are  writen in horror movies.
what els will they know?

geo said:
Wes,
between the two sets of stainless and two sets of aluminium disks, I have more than enough to put tags on everything & anything.
Obtaining a new set of tags isn't all that complicated

I guess things have changed in the past 11 yrs, as it was done through the orderly room, and a message has to be raised and sent for a request for such through the CF system, then it took weeks for them to arrive. Even when it ws discovered I had the wrong blood type on mine, it took a while for a new set to come in, and for a new I Card pic to be taken, and weeks for the card to come in, as for I Cards here, you make an appt, with an authority to issue form, and poof, its ready in 5 minutes, as each base/post or main QM has its own I Card machine too.

As for CF tags, I have a few sets of the alloy ones and a few sets of the stainless ones, plus I had scrounged a couple sets of blank stainless ones too. All just keepsakes from my CF past now.

Cheers,

Wes

Forgotten_Hero said:
They'll know what you did last summer  :o

and any of those nasty social diseases you may have picked up during said summer. Maybe they'll make an exception and put those on your tags as well  >:D

As with everything else in the armed forces there are specific instructions for this somewhat ghoulish thread.
CFAO 24-5
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/024-05_e.asp
and
Convention (I) for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field. Geneva, 12 August 1949.
http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/COM/365-570021?OpenDocument

Choo

Wes,
with the era of digital cameras, ICards are generated while you wait (didn't time it)
but you leave with it.

Disks are still ordered thru the OR - but as long as you have a clerk who is "alert" it doesn't take much time at all

Don't get it...............
Identity Discs​
It was not until the Boer War of 1899 - 1902 that British soldiers started wearing regulation methods of personal identity and these were in the form of strips of tape.

The strips were supposedly carrier in tunic pockets; however, it seemed that soldiers being soldiers, the strips could end up being placed anywhere and more often than not, a detailed search had to be conducted of the seriously wounded and dead to locate them.

In 1906, each soldier was issued with a tin disc and given specific orders that it was to be worn around the neck.

By the Great War, soldiers were issued with two discs, one was round and coloured red, while the other was octagonal and coloured green.

The discs were stamped with the soldier’s name, religion and unit. The aim of the two colours was that the red tag was removed and attached to a small bag, carried by burial parties, containing the soldier’s personal belongings.

The tag’s dual purpose was to name the owner of the contents and assist in establishing a record of those killed. The green tag remained with the body for temporary burial, making the corpse identifiable when exhumed for proper burial later. (Legend has it that the two colours were to assist soldiers in remembering which tag went where: red, the colour of blood, was taken away indicating the owner was dead; while green, the colour of grass, was kept with the body).

Today, the Australian Army’s Personal Identification Tags are referred to as Number 1 Tag (the octagonal shaped disc) and Number 2 Tag (the circular disc). They are embossed with the title AUST, the soldier’s regimental number, initials and name, religion and blood group.

The circular tag is removed from the body and the octagonal tag should, given time, be placed inside the dead soldier’s mouth, between the teeth and lips.
http://www.defence.gov.au/army/traditions/documents/ID_Discs.htm

A Short History of Identification Tags​

The Civil War provided the first recorded incident of American soldiers making an effort to ensure that their identities would be known should they die on the battlefield. Their methods were varied, and all were taken on a soldier's own initiative. In 1863, prior to the battle of Mine's Run in northern Virginia, General Meade's troops wrote their names and unit designations on paper tags and pinned them to their clothing. Many soldiers took great care to mark all their personal belongings. Some troops fashioned their own "ID" (identification) tags out of pieces of wood, boring a hole in one end so that they could be worn on a string around the neck.www.qmfound.com/ short_history_of_identification_tags.htm

wow.. that's not too long ago sins they were invented. it's really interesting though.

I don't mean to get personal or for this question to be disrespectful. But have any of you had you had to take one of someones tag before, and how did you feel when you had to do it?

(if this is to personal or discrespectful I'm sorry. i don't mean to offend anyone)

And I think with that question we can call this one a wrap. If there is a legitimate question, that has some sort of reason, other than morbid curiosity, address it to a Mod. We MAY reopen this.

Question answered...topic locked.

Gents...back to your corners.

Regards

Hello all, thanks for reading this.

I've searched and can not find an answer to my minor question.  I have joined the Air Reserves and await the application process.  From my last military experience, during your BMQ, they ask you which religion you are and stamp it on your 'dog tags'.  Last time, I indicated that United was the closest thing, but I am curious:  Is there a 'none' option or 'other'?

Didn't search very hard, did you?

From page 7 of this thread:

3.    The religious denomination of the member will be abbreviated as
follows:

Anglican ........................... ACC
Atheist, Agnostic, or no religion .. NRE
Baptist ............................ BAPT
Christian Science .................. CS
Greek Catholic ..................... GC
Greek Orthodox ..................... GO
Jewish ............................. JEW
Latter-Day Saints .................. LDS
Lutheran ........................... LUTH
Muslim ............................. MUS
New Apostolic Church ............... NAC
Other Protestant Denomination ...... OPD
Pentecostal ........................ PENT
Presbyterian ....................... PRES
Roman Catholic ..................... RC
Salvation Army ..................... SA
Unitarian Universalist ............. UNI
United Church ...................... UCC

4.    A member claiming a religious affiliation other than those shown above
will be classified Other Denomination (OD).

I hate to sound like an idiot but what does the "RH" mean on the tag

eg: O/RH/NEG

I have always been a little curious

sorry one again to sound like a moron!  :-[

Back