• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

• Thread starter Thread starter Yard Ape
  • Start date Start date
Some places have them, most don't or rather they just make HPR duties an inherent part of 2nd line without explicitly tasking pers (or they just ignore it). The CA is most affected by HPR policy as the vast majority of their orders are automated via work order release and they all almost go from 1st line to 2nd line to 3rd line. Each of those creates its own PREQ and STO that are not linked (changes made to WO, or orders lower have no affect on the higher level order same as your example below). While not all work orders are high priority, it takes some knowledge to be able to find your HPRs that were automatically generated and attach the proper paperwork

The min/max is set in the Materiel Master Record under the MRP1 tab. I would be surprised they get a notification, there is no standard functionality in SAP/DRMIS for that. They could have created a bespoke ABAP (SAP programming language) query that does that but highly doubtful we are that smart. They can of course manually look at changes people make but it isn't easy.

The deployed server creates a lot of work, but that reaching to 2nd line happens for everyone becasue of how we set up the system. We set DRMIS to do auto STO which means a PREQ is automatically converted to a STO at every level a demand is needed. Once the next level is generated it never refers back to the original PREQ or STO. That is why any changes at the unit level have to be manually made at the 2nd/3rd line level as well. SAP standard is to only convert a PREQ to a STO when it is going to be fulfilled and any changes to a PREQ at the unit level adjust all other related orders. Plus at the 2nd and 3rd line it will combine quantities so they deal with 1 order rather than 10. It is being looked at for implementation, but it significanty slowed by the fact most senior folks it goes through don't have enough knowledge on the system to understand what a game changer it can be.

MISL will solve none of this as it is focused on pulling in 3 bespoke systems (AIMS, FMS, NMDS) and upgrading our warehouse managenment module to enhanced warehouse mananegent. The auto STO and other MRP issues reside in the core componment of DRMIS and that is not changing

I can't tell you how, but I know every time I've seen it done it reappears within 24 hours. And I've had nastygrams from LCMMs for doing it.

I just want a simple system. I think we wickedly over complicate supply.
If the CRCN can't see in real time who is in which bunk then the communists win.

We'd be well served to spend the $ on actually recording and tracking inventory, and divesting the dusty boxes filled with parts for equipment we got rid of a decade or more ago.

Properly managing the backend and simplifying it results in better support to those at the front end. But institutionally, we aren't willing to invest in such things.

I can't tell you how, but I know every time I've seen it done it reappears within 24 hours. And I've had nastygrams from LCMMs for doing it.
Maybe the RCN LCMMs have some functionality like that, I highly doubt it, but even if they are manually tracking it means they are paying attention in any case.

If you ever want to test it drop me a PM

If the CRCN can't see in real time who is in which bunk then the communists win.

We'd be well served to spend the $ on actually recording and tracking inventory, and divesting the dusty boxes filled with parts for equipment we got rid of a decade or more ago.

Properly managing the backend and simplifying it results in better support to those at the front end. But institutionally, we aren't willing to invest in such things.

You had me at 'If'.

There are super responsive SM/LCMMs and not so responsive ones but I have found that most of them care and will make changes if prompted. Sometimes they don't even realize it is an issue.

It's just like how a lot of people don't know about or understand what a UCR or a TFR are. So they almost never get used, but are important in making changes.

I'm of the view that any monkey can design a well functioning Day 1 inventory control system using todays technology (or better yet just ask Amazon to build you the system including the automated warehouses)

The problem is the business transformation program needed to upload the current inventory, reconciling duplication, determine which goes into the system on a go forward basis and what gets purged and divested and what the operational restock rules should be. That is a massive effort at the best of times that people seem not to be prepared to invest time and money in. On top of that the people who are capable of making the requisite decisions and work on that transformation, are the very people required to keep involved in the day to day operations that simply do not stop while the project continues. Maybe some day AI will solve that problem, but not today.

🍻

Back