• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH47 Chinook

Should anyone be interested there is an hour long programme on the Chinook on Discovery Military Channel
today at 2200hrs EDST

Cheers,

tango22a

tango22a said:
Should anyone be interested there is an hour long programme on the Chinook on Discovery Military Channel
today at 2200hrs EDST

Cheers,

tango22a

The Military Discovery Channel has 5 short videos to watch about the Chinook.  I didn't see the program mentioned in your post, so I'm not sure if the online videos cover the same information.

http://military.discovery.com/videos/gi-factory-chinook/

Edited to add:
This is a slightly off topic, but for those who are interested, on the Military Channel, if you do a search for, 'helicopter', there are several pages of videos about various military helicopters.

http://military.discovery.com/search/results.html?N=0&Ntt=helicopter&focus=video&query=helicopter&search=search&site=MIL&Ntk=All&search.y=0&Nty=1&search.x=0&Ntx=mode+matchany&No=0

Egy sarvedo:

The programme went into the history of tandem-rotor helos and only really covered the Chinook for about one-third of the time...a bit of of a downer. It was under "the Greatest Planes" series.

Sorry. but that was the best I could do on short notice since I didn't see the ad for the show until almost the last minute,

Cheers,

tango22a

I can remember flying in a Labrador (CH 146?) in 1966 at CFB Borden while they were doing user-trials.

t22a

tango22a said:
Egy sarvedo:

The programme went into the history of tandem-rotor helos and only really covered the Chinook for about one-third of the time...a bit of of a downer. It was under "the Greatest Planes" series.

Sorry. but that was the best I could do on short notice since I didn't see the ad for the show until almost the last minute,

Cheers,

tango22a

I can remember flying in a Labrador (CH 146?) in 1966 at CFB Borden while they were doing user-trials.

t22a

No worries.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't have been able to see the program either way; I just have rabbit ears.  I only have time on the weekends to watch programs and paying for cable to watch the television one or two days or less (often less, depends) a week isn't worth it, espeically when I can go weeks without turning on the television (depends).  There are only a few or handful of channels which would be of interest to me.  I have been contemplating cable, if for any reason, so I can tape the programs on the military channel during the week and then watch them when I can; I'm still thinking about it.

Some times the military channel will have the full length of a program online, split up over the course of several videos, I was hoping I could catch the program that way, but I didn't find it online when I did a search... maybe down the road they will have it on their site.

Sorry to hear the program was a 'downer'. 

Thank you for the reply.  :)   

tango22a said:
...Labrador (CH 146?)...

Labrador (RCAF) and Voyageur (Army) were CH113 and CH113A respectively. CH146 is the Griffon.

The US Navy version is the CH46 Sea Knight - possibly where you got the 46 from.

Loachman:

Sorry, but it was  a very long time ago. I think it must have then been a Voyageur as it was being flown by an RCASC pilot. At the time I was an O/Cdt at the Royal Canadian School of Infantry...I wanted Armour but at that time all Armour Officers came from RMC.

Cheers,

tango22a

Being flown by a "RCASC" pilot, as in Royal Candian Army Service Corp ?
Seems strange, I would have expected an Army pilot.
Perhaps Loachman will have some thoughts on this.

There were quite a large number of helicopter pilots who were members of the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps. In fact in those days most army pilots were RCAC, RCA and RCASC, although there were a few infantry, signals and RCEME pilots. Moreover the Voyageurs belonged to 1 Transport Helicopter Platoon, RCASC.

Damn. Beat me.

1 Transport Helicopter Platoon was known as "1 Thump".

Groundcrew wore RCEME cap badges.

The Royal Winnipeg Rifles were reportedly the first to use the Voyageurs tactically. One (or two) came down from Rivers, MB to Shilo for a weekend. The one I was on had a RCASC pilot and copilot complete with khaki forge cap.

The town of Rivers was then the Canadian Joint Air Training Centre (CJATC) Rivers  There was an parachute exit tower there. Each intake (three) from Clear Lake Cadet Camp were bused to Rivers to go off the Mock Tower and then a tour of the High Tower at Shilo.

Saw a RCN Banshee there a couple of times.

http://www.airmuseum.ca/rcaf/rivers01.html

Short hijack.

If nothing else, Rivers made Shilo look good.

CJATC was a tri-service organization. From an army point of view, its main features were the parachute school and the light aviation school which trained pilots to an operational standard on the L19, CH112 and CH113. Rivers also did UEO, FAC and GLO training and was home to the only ground attack specialized organization in the RCAF. The RCN Banshees would come to Rivers for CAS training using the Shilo ranges each summer, which usually resulted in a colossal prairie fire. And interestingly, the parachute packers (28 COD, RCOC) were stationed in Shilo.

From the photo info, the weekend the RWpgRif used the Voyageurs was Nov 1965. The unit was flown Wpg/Shilo/Wpg and all weekend in the field. Rifleman 62 is the short guy in picture 2 on the far right. One of these Voyageurs later crashed in Wisconsan I believe.

Old Sweat said:
There were quite a large number of helicopter pilots who were members of the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps. In fact in those days most army pilots were RCAC, RCA and RCASC, although there were a few infantry, signals and RCEME pilots. Moreover the Voyageurs belonged to 1 Transport Helicopter Platoon, RCASC.

For those of you who are into interesting but useless factoids, I checked my 1965 Canadian Army List for qualified army pilots. These were identified by the symbols PG (pilot, glider), PH (pilot, helicopter) and/or PL (pilot, light) behind their names. Round figures from a cursory look: RCAC - 42; RCA - 61; RCE -2; RCCs - 6; RCIC - 24; RCASC - 68; and RCEME - 6. There also were a number of full colones and up with the designations. These either had qualified when more junior in rank or had taken the Senior Officers Pilots Course to make them aviation minded. This last group - gallant soldiers all - tended to make up in enthusiasm for what they lacked in skill. At least that is what the real army aviators who were unfortunate to have taken some of them up for check rides murmured in the mess after returning from the experience.

New Chinook Helicopters Will Be Based In Petawawa
CF news release NR 09.111, 16 Dec 09
News release link

The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, announced today that Canada’s new fleet of 15 F-model Chinook helicopters will be based at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, Ontario.

The new CH-147F Chinooks will support land forces and other Government departments, secondary search and rescue missions, as well as responding to humanitarian emergencies such as fire, floods, and earthquakes.

“As stated in the Canada First Defence Strategy, there is a need to update and replace dated defence infrastructure to meet the challenges of the 21st century. The Government of Canada is investing in the people, equipment, and infrastructure that the Canadian Forces need to do their job,” said Minister MacKay. “These significant investments in defence provide economic benefits to communities across Canada. As well, approximately 440 new positions are planned at CFB Petawawa as a result of the Chinooks’ arrival.”

CFB Petawawa will see various infrastructure projects to accommodate the Chinook helicopters. This infrastructure will include the construction of new hangars that will incorporate training, maintenance, operational storage, and logistics. Construction also includes a new ramp, a refueling facility, and a fenced-in parking area. The Government of Canada will conduct open, fair, and transparent competitive processes to award the construction contracts at CFB Petawawa.

“Petawawa was chosen because it provides the best support to army and special operations forces, many of which are co-located there, while minimizing the associated infrastructure costs for the new fleet. From this location, the Chinooks will maintain a high-readiness posture for rapid deployment,” stated General Walt Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff.

“These Chinook helicopters are state of the art,” said Lieutenant-General André Deschamps, Chief of Air Staff.  “These impressive new F-model Chinooks have a full suite of leading edge avionics, sensors, and self-defence equipment, and more than twice the range of older Chinooks. Basing them in Petawawa will maximize their ability to train and operate with their main customer, the army, for deployments across Canada or around the world.”

The value of the Chinook helicopter is highlighted by the operations currently underway in Afghanistan, with the six D-model versions currently employed there as part of Canada’s Air Wing in Kandahar. This workhorse helicopter saves lives every day, and contributes significantly to mission success by rapidly transporting troops and equipment to locations that would be more dangerous or impossible to reach by ground.

The CH-147F Chinooks, scheduled for delivery by Boeing starting in summer 2013, will be available for future deployed missions in which Canadian Forces will participate. Domestically, the robust performance and long range of the F-model Chinooks make it an ideal aircraft for operations in Canada’s vast and harsh environment, particularly in the North.

-30-

George Wallace said:
Looks like the Air Force will now own most of the Mattawa Plain.

They can have it! Full of stupid ragweed in the fall.

milnews.ca said:
New Chinook Helicopters Will Be Based In Petawawa
CF news release NR 09.111, 16 Dec 09
News release link

The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, announced today that Canada’s new fleet of 15 F-model Chinook helicopters will be based at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, Ontario.

The new CH-147F Chinooks will support land forces and other Government departments, secondary search and rescue missions, as well as responding to humanitarian emergencies such as fire, floods, and earthquakes.

“As stated in the Canada First Defence Strategy, there is a need to update and replace dated defence infrastructure to meet the challenges of the 21st century. The Government of Canada is investing in the people, equipment, and infrastructure that the Canadian Forces need to do their job,” said Minister MacKay. “These significant investments in defence provide economic benefits to communities across Canada. As well, approximately 440 new positions are planned at CFB Petawawa as a result of the Chinooks’ arrival.”

CFB Petawawa will see various infrastructure projects to accommodate the Chinook helicopters. This infrastructure will include the construction of new hangars that will incorporate training, maintenance, operational storage, and logistics. Construction also includes a new ramp, a refueling facility, and a fenced-in parking area. The Government of Canada will conduct open, fair, and transparent competitive processes to award the construction contracts at CFB Petawawa.

“Petawawa was chosen because it provides the best support to army and special operations forces, many of which are co-located there, while minimizing the associated infrastructure costs for the new fleet. From this location, the Chinooks will maintain a high-readiness posture for rapid deployment,” stated General Walt Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff.

“These Chinook helicopters are state of the art,” said Lieutenant-General André Deschamps, Chief of Air Staff.  “These impressive new F-model Chinooks have a full suite of leading edge avionics, sensors, and self-defence equipment, and more than twice the range of older Chinooks. Basing them in Petawawa will maximize their ability to train and operate with their main customer, the army, for deployments across Canada or around the world.”

The value of the Chinook helicopter is highlighted by the operations currently underway in Afghanistan, with the six D-model versions currently employed there as part of Canada’s Air Wing in Kandahar. This workhorse helicopter saves lives every day, and contributes significantly to mission success by rapidly transporting troops and equipment to locations that would be more dangerous or impossible to reach by ground.

The CH-147F Chinooks, scheduled for delivery by Boeing starting in summer 2013, will be available for future deployed missions in which Canadian Forces will participate. Domestically, the robust performance and long range of the F-model Chinooks make it an ideal aircraft for operations in Canada’s vast and harsh environment, particularly in the North.

-30-
I'd still like to see the last paragraph proved. The harsh northern environment is really something to contend with. One oil or hydraulic leak would turn a Chinook into a semi permanent landmark. 

beenthere said:
I'd still like to see the last paragraph proved. The harsh northern environment is really something to contend with. One oil or hydraulic leak would turn a Chinook into a semi permanent landmark.

That could be said of any aircraft though.

I spent 25 years flying and 5 as a tech and have lots of Arctic experience. CH-113As and Chinooks virtually always got sick in cold places.
I flew on Buffaloes for a couple of years and C-130s for 15 and only had 1 C-130 that got sick in the cold. That was after an overnight stay in Alert. 8 Hours in a warm hangar in Thule and she was right back to normal.

Politicians and generals along with their spokesmen or people who write press releases for them are doing nothing more than assuring the public that they have done the right thing.

There's nothing wrong with them doing this and it's to be expected.

However just because they said these things there's no reason to believe them.

Back