• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Issued Junk

Catalyst said:
I was actually issued one a few months ago ...

I actually liked mine. I made it through Alert fine & without freezing to death.

Mess tins, C5 knife, 80's model rain gear, Garrison boots and belt, combat beanie, Geneva Convention Cards, 80s model crew suits, bus driver jackets, and hats-conic-furry.

The Army Garrison jacket (and it's follow-on belt) aka "duck-hunting attire" !!

On the belt ... off the belt ...  ::) Absolutely brilliant that piece of kit was.

Tan shorts/pants/shirts. Dress Hot weather type. We had to iron that shit!! And it really drains the colour from one's already pale Casper-the-friendly-ghost resembling glow-in-the-dark complexion.  >:(

80s model raingear?...

Ahem... the 70s model raingear!  Nylon POS that allowed rain in & kept sweat in....
On my 6B we weren't allowed to wear em as rain gear - cause of the nylon rubbing against nylon sound... so we wore it UNDER our combats - just so as to help keep us warm on one of those nice wet Oct/Nov weeks in Gagetown..... :P

Mark 1 Combat Clothing especially the trousers, which were heavy and chaffed the crotch. The boots started a long tradition of leaking when used to walk through wet grass.

The Sten gun. No further comment required.

The 64 Pattern Cargo Pack.

OSweat,
The cargo pack was OK if you were Mech....
T'was an improvement on the old 50s pattern "large pack".
Remember, at the same time we had the Cargo pack, we had the Alpine pack - which lots of troops still treasure today

The cargo pack was more or less a kit bag with shoulder straps. It did not have a frame and pressed into the small of the back when worn. I was in 4 CIBG at the time and do not recall seeing the Alpine pack, although that could be because of my advancing years.

geo said:
80s model raingear?...

Ahem... the 70s model raingear!  Nylon POS that allowed rain in & kept sweat in....
On my 6B we weren't allowed to wear em as rain gear - cause of the nylon rubbing against nylon sound... so we wore it UNDER our combats - just so as to help keep us warm on one of those nice wet Oct/Nov weeks in Gagetown..... :P

Sorry, I joined in 83 and almost drowned in the thin nylon rain gear on a Reforger Ex in mid 80s. 

ArmyVern (Female type) said:
That's Grumpy Bear to you.  >:(

Just so you know -- bears have been known to bite!!

But, that brings me to my next junk kit item -- FUR!! Fur caps!! I believe soldiers should be fur-free!!

You're not getting all Pam Anderson on me now, are you Vern???  :o  Fur is natural, fur is good, fur is warm, wearing fur supports the families of trappers (like my next door neighbor) and most importantly - pisses off PETA... 8)

Frostnipped Elf said:
Sorry, I joined in 83 and almost drowned in the thin nylon rain gear on a Reforger Ex in mid 80s. 

But that was still the 70s pattern raingear.
Which is why most of us bought the US model.... which is +/- what our 80s pattern raingear (still in circulation) was copied from.

Chapeski said:
Those combat boot covers, you know, the glossy zipper things. What a waste of cash. Oh, and the CF cripplers that we call issued sneakers. I went through 3/4 of my basic inspections before I realized I hadn't even tied the laces for inspection.

Combat Boot Overshoes or something like that, but more commonly known as "Boots, Rubber, Clumsy"

And the winter CF fake-fur hats used to be called "Cap, Fuzzy, Ridiculous" if I recall correctly.

8)

Well, I guess I am the first one to dive into the IMP world of issued junk.

Ham Omlette for breakfast.  (just all wrong) or that orange fruitcake frisbee you used to get. 

Jimmy4Now said:
Combat Boot Overshoes or something like that, but more commonly known as "Boots, Rubber, Clumsy"

And the winter CF fake-fur hats used to be called "Cap, Fuzzy, Ridiculous" if I recall correctly.

8)

Cap, Fuzzy, Ridiculous"  --- is in fact ... Astrakhan hat --- cap, useless

Hey - I had a CO who always wore the damn fuzzy hat every winter.......it gave the Junior Officer's something that brought us all together in the mess.....ridicule....

mudgunner49 said:
You're not getting all Pam Anderson on me now, are you Vern???  :o  Fur is natural, fur is good, fur is warm, wearing fur supports the families of trappers (like my next door neighbor) and most importantly - pisses off PETA... 8)

Feeling a little Bridget Bardotish with a 'lil bit of Harley Davidson thrown in for good measure. Now, if only they'd allow me to wear my nice leather chaps in Paris --- I'd be all good to go.  >:D

ʞɔoɹɯɐɥs said:

Yes, the Food Bearing Vest as modelled by a certain RSM who shall remain nameless.  :o
Included the inevitable kit list to be carried in said vest that completely forgot about the need to carry ammunition. Wasn't it made of the same material as the old Combat Jean jacket?

2 Cdo said:
Yes, the Food Bearing Vest as modelled by a certain RSM who shall remain nameless.  :o
Included the inevitable kit list to be carried in said vest that completely forgot about the need to carry ammunition. Wasn't it made of the same material as the old Combat Jean jacket?

Umm... think you're talking about the "old" LBV.
Cotton style LBV has been pulled out of circulation about 2 or 3 yrs now...

Back