• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cenotaph/Memorial Vandalism/Solutions-Laws (merged)

I must reply , however I am drunk.... I agree on the facts of the tri-service...however we are a service which encompases three. therefore the req for tri-servise.

For the record, there's a GGHG member at CG this summer filling a staff position. A MCpl, I think.

Just to nudge this back on track for a moment -

Is the security round-the-clock?  I mean.. will there be a sentry in uniform from the CF 24/7?  Or is this more of a PAFF type  PR move and the real reliance will be on the security cameras newly installed.
IIRC (could be very wrong), the issue on the past Canada Day was after hours, and having walked past the monument about a zillion times at 3am going home from work at the bar, I know that one night there can be absolutely nothing happening, and the next idiots doing nothing.

One thing it will indeed reduce is the skateboarders who are ALWAYS around there.  I was always so embarrassed about that when I saw tourists looking incredulous as a tween pulled a 180 over the tomb of the unknown soldier and then took off when I approached....

From the information passed down to us, on Canada Day sentries will be posted from 0700 to 0000, and then daily during the public duties season (until 27Aug) as per the same schedule in force at Rideau Hall (0900-1700)

Meridian said:
Just to nudge this back on track for a moment -

Is the security round-the-clock?   I mean.. will there be a sentry in uniform from the CF 24/7?  Or is this more of a PAFF type  PR move and the real reliance will be on the security cameras newly installed.
IIRC (could be very wrong), the issue on the past Canada Day was after hours, and having walked past the monument about a zillion times at 3am going home from work at the bar, I know that one night there can be absolutely nothing happening, and the next idiots doing nothing.

One thing it will indeed reduce is the skateboarders who are ALWAYS around there.  I was always so embarrassed about that when I saw tourists looking incredulous as a tween pulled a 180 over the tomb of the unknown soldier and then took off when I approached....
If you refer to reply no 34, you will have your answer.............

geo said:
If you refer to reply no 34, you will have your answer.............

Gotcha, though I was curious if some other sort of security would be posted other than uniformed CF members ("sentry") in MSM can mean a lot of things especially when they are intent on being vague.

This isn't OPSEC or guarded knowledge so I'll fill you in.  We will have two ceremonial sentries on at the hours stated.  They will have two orderlies in 3Bravo's for security and to patrol the area.  Later in the evening there will be four orderlies.  There will be two commisionaires and Ottawa Police will have a presence, so I am told.  We also have a video camera for evidence purposes should something go awry. 

You can be sure that there will be no skateboarders or other nonsense going on there while we are present.

Wolfe117 said:
This isn't OPSEC or guarded knowledge so I'll fill you in.  We will have two ceremonial sentries on at the hours stated.  They will have two orderlies in 3Bravo's for security and to patrol the area.  Later in the evening there will be four orderlies.  There will be two commisionaires and Ottawa Police will have a presence, so I am told.  We also have a video camera for evidence purposes should something go awry. 

You can be sure that there will be no skateboarders or other nonsense going on there while we are present.

Sounds great, I'm glad its happening.... I believe the Americans have similar sentries posted constantly at places like Arlignton, do they not?

HighlandFusilier said:
Cheaper to just get a robot with a giant stick?

The robot will be trialled at Rideau hall first, and, if proven acceptable, should be phased in for next summer.

Pte D. Krystal said:
The robot will be trialled at Rideau hall first, and, if proven acceptable, should be phased in for next summer.

Should keep the Peaceniks happy... assuming we don't deploy them overseas of course ;)

Meridian said:
Should keep the Peaceniks happy... assuming we don't deploy them overseas of course ;)

You know that IT will take TIME to deploy peaceniks overseas ?  :D

Wolfe117 said:

Who is the group targeting the monument that it receives this amount of attention?

GreyMatter said:
Who is the group targeting the monument that it receives this amount of attention?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/3190.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/46751.0.html

dileas

tess

GreyMatter said:
Oh still the same one? I thought there might have been a new threat.

I was planning on heading up and having the wife take pics of me posing by the memorial, I think that might have got some bells ringing.  No not in a speedo, that was for the parliament buildings!

Something about peeing on the peacekeepers monument on Canada day...circa '95...has raised some bells

Whoa!!  :eek:  Nothing to see here...Move along...move it move it...

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
I was planning on heading up and having the wife take pics of me posing by the memorial, I think that might have got some bells ringing.  No not in a speedo, that was for the parliament buildings!

Something about peeing on the peacekeepers monument on Canada day...circa '95...has raised some bells

Whoa!!  :eek:  Nothing to see here...Move along...move it move it...

dileas

tess

Seems to be a bit of an Ottawa tradition, I recall several guys doing that to the fountain in front of the parliament buildings back in '86.

..... And they called him the streaker!,,,,,,,,

Pte D. Krystal said:

They trialled it last summer. Don't you remember the DrillBot in our hallway that one afternoon? Good times. :D