• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cenotaph/Memorial Vandalism/Solutions-Laws (merged)

geo said:
There is a report that the fela waving to the camera is from Montreal.
A Montreal WWII Vet has offered a 1000$ reward for info leading to the arrest.

Does he take Paypal? I'd chip in to that fund.

Ottawa City Police are updating their site and made this post:

http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/serving_ottawa/media_room/news.cfm?nr_id=3282

Michael Dorosh said:
So to protect the memorial from desecration, he chooses to desecrate the flag instead??

By extension, are not the commercially plentiful hats and t-shirts displaying a red maple leaf against a white background and flanked by red bars a desecration of the flag?

I think one must account for his intention - his heart, and actions, are in the right place. 

Shec said:
By extension, are not the commercially plentiful hats and t-shirts displaying a red maple leaf against a white background and flanked by red bars a desecration of the flag?

Yep.

I think one must account for his intention - his heart, and actions, are in the right place. 

It either works the same way all over, or it doesn't. Is a Monument a consecrated memorial, or a piece of concrete?  Is a flag a symbol of the RCL, or a rag to be worn?

Frankly, I find the concept of literally wrapping one's self in a flag to be a little icky and overblown. And the whole political mumbo-jumbo surrounding what should be a non-issue is sad, really. Instead of just doing the right things all the time, we seem to only do the right things when something bad makes us do it. Like putting up a set of traffic lights at an intersection AFTER someone gets killed there.

I am, however, pleasantly surprised at the language the Ottawa Police used on their website - to publicly admit "outrage" is something kind of unprecedented, at least to me.  Good for them.

I'm serious, I want to contribute to the reward fund. Hopefully someone posts a way to do that soon.

Michael Dorosh said:
Yep.

It either works the same way all over, or it doesn't. Is a Monument a consecrated memorial, or a piece of concrete?  Is a flag a symbol of the RCL, or a rag to be worn?

Frankly, I find the concept of literally wrapping one's self in a flag to be a little icky and overblown. And the whole political mumbo-jumbo surrounding what should be a non-issue is sad, really. Instead of just doing the right things all the time, we seem to only do the right things when something bad makes us do it. Like putting up a set of traffic lights at an intersection AFTER someone gets killed there.

I am, however, pleasantly surprised at the language the Ottawa Police used on their website - to publicly admit "outrage" is something kind of unprecedented, at least to me.  Good for them.

I'm serious, I want to contribute to the reward fund. Hopefully someone posts a way to do that soon.

No argument there.  Wrapping oneself in a flag is hardly "neat but not gaudy" to quote a time-honoured and favorite FGH saying. 

But since it is a sad fact of our condition that we take action after the event perhaps now is the time, while the politicos are in law-making mode to ensure that "It either works the same way all over, or it doesn't" and put an end to descration of the symbols that are the essence of this country.

S_Baker said:
I was wondering why someone would do this?  Drunken stupor or just because they are A-hats?  Or maybe because the respect for such monuments are no longer taught in school and in our homes?  Sad state when peer pressure and just common sense would not preclude someone from doing such a thing.  Sad indeed, unfortunately it is all too common....

If he is from Montreal, it may be a Francophone statement. I know that the vast majority of Francophones would not do such a thing, but it is a possibility. Remember the dude at the Olympics not too long ago that complained about the "red rags" flying from the players' billets?  Some idiots in France spraypainted "take your trash home" or something similar on British war graves a few years back as a sign of protest over British involvement in Iraq.

Michael Dorosh said:
If he is from Montreal, it may be a Francophone statement.

I highly doubt that. In all honesty I think the guys had to pee and looked for place they could do it semi-privately. If you notice in the pictures all the guys peed in corners of the monument (where the arches form a right angle with the abutment) creating a barrier so public don't see their actions. While their actions are inexcusable and extremely disrespectful, them peeing in corners does show they had an ounce of decency. One of them did react like an idiot in the photo but the other two were shocked just as if you would be if somebody opened the bluerocket door on you. No, for this to be a real 'statement' they would have pissed on the tomb of the unknown in plane view of everyone.  If that were the case I would say get the nooses ready but really they were probably full of piss -- not vinegar.

Again I'll say this does not excuse them from their actions, I'm just saying their actions were negligent, not malicious.

career_radio-checker said:
Again I'll say this does not excuse them from their actions, I'm just saying their actions were negligent, not malicious.

I'd say that is the most likely; hopefully they do the right thing and turn themselves in and explain.

I note that the local news - and some of the national ones - reported erroneously that the tomb itself was the "victim" in this matter.

I am certain that given the coverage of this event that OPS is utilizing every available resource to get to the bottom of this.  Unfortunately, their investigation will not occur on a public stage so it is likely that anyone here short of an OPS member will ever be able to comment on the details.  I would like to suggest that we refrain from attempting to interpret the suspects actions and speculating the event into some sort of Unity debate.

Be patient and let things unfold it hasn't even gone a week yet.  Speaking on a LEO side it doesn't get much better than this by having your suspects faces in the national media.. 

.............. Montreal - yes
apparently an anglophone though.  He was heard to utter something or other as he was waving to the cameraman (retired Major).

I just saw the photo of Don Dawson in the Sun.  Is the "RCL Flag" what is being depicted? It shows a Union Jack with a modern black maple leaf in the centre. Is this really the RCL flag? Just curious.

God bless his spirit, but he looks a bit silly in July heat with a red sweater on, and a weird looking flag hanging off his shoulder.

I suppose if this doesn't instigate a full time Guard of Honour at the site, nothing will. 

In other news, someone wrote to the Calgary Sun to say "give the pissers a choice of jail or the infantry."  Nice comparison. I'm writing to the editor to tell the correspondent he can keep his trash, we don't want it.

I haven't seen the photo you refer to, however all RCL Branch Colours have a red maple leaf.

I hope the police can catch the people who did this and  that some form of security can be placed on this monument that way this kind of act can never happen again we as Canadians owe it to the soldier who sacrificed his life so long ago .

I was really shocked when I went to Ottawa last year and there was not a guard on the War Memorial. They use the GGFG for other things...might as well use it for what its for. Plus I think those members would rather guard that then the gate they sit at....I think its a gate(sorry)

Italy and USA I've seen they have a permanent guard...Im pretty sure there are alot of other countries that do as well. I think we should.

DSC_8840.JPG

"I'm cool!"!..........................idiot
The only still unidentified leak.

When I was in Cyprus in 93 the Greek Cypriots had a monument in the middle of a Roundabout. It was dedicated to a terrorist who blew up a busload of kids (Billy the Bomber) so of course there was lots of folks had just cause to go out there and deface it...their answer was to mount a 24 hour guard with a 50 cal. machine gun...seemed to do the trick!
I'm sure we'd get lots of volunteers to man a guard post....if we want to get fancy like the Yanks and the Russians and mount a ceremonial guard that would be cool....but first and foremost we have to have people who can react to hoodlums.
At night in our downtown cores we have a lot of kids in gangs roaming the streets...in Halifax you take your life in your hands around the Commons where street kids and punks swarm people and beat them or worse.
The police seem reluctant to curb this stuff...citing manpower shortages etc...in reality they are sick and tired or Crown Attorneys who won't take charges forward especially for young offenders...who, if the charges are taken forward will get a tsk tsk from the judge.  :rage:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2006/07/05/ott-peelaw.html 

Just heard on the news that the Ottawa City Police have identified two of the three.

[EDIT]  For info go to link above provided by Xfire.

Well, I'd rather that than they not be found at all.

Good show to whomever turned them in.