• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian peacekeeper gear...

Im thinking of buying some CADPAT stuff from CPgear.com.
Is it good quality? How fast is shipping to Ontario?
Has anyone here ever ordered from them?

There's a search function, I suggest in the future, you use it. Just a suggestion.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21370.0.html (Four pages on just about everything you ever wanted to know about Wheelers/Canadian Peace Keeper)

Futuresoldier,

I have ordered a few items from them, generally most of the basic stuff is good quality, but some of the packs and higher end products on their website have had some problems, but from personal experience it has been nothing drastic, usually just a buckle breaks, or some stitching..

Their shipping to Ontario is quick, it took about 5 days for me to receive my order from the day I purchased it. So for example if you purchase on a Monday you can expect to receive it in about a week.

With all that being said, there are better places to buy kit, depending on what your needs are. Being that you're new, CPGear should be good for you. If you search around, you will find some of the better kit websites when you need some "high-speed" gear.

Good luck!

Forgot to mention, check out their return policy, and policies for repair & replacement. They are pretty good about getting things replaced.

Ive got a couple questions. Does anyone have any info on the modular combat belt? (good/bad?)... and if i went on SQ or an exercise with that, would they give me the ammo for the mag pouches i would put on? Or would it be dead weight?

Hunter911 said:
Ive got a couple questions. Does anyone have any info on the modular combat belt? (good/bad?)... and if i went on SQ or an exercise with that, would they give me the ammo for the mag pouches i would put on? Or would it be dead weight?

Don't buy any equipment if you are on a BMQ/SQ

you have no idea yet what you want or need for the field

no.. don't take extra mag pouches...

The more extra keen kit you have... the more you stick out...
Especially if your 'keen kit' is useless for your situation.

The only thing i would suggest buying or acquiring (if not issued)
1) nuke bag 
2) ranger blanket

The Crowe said:
Heh, has everyone ordered those glasses case!!

They are utter rubbish, mind you I do quite approve of the other items I ordered. The Zippered Billfold Wallet - Exelent, a nice improvment from the millspec one. Nametages (same as mentioned abouve). Patrol Pack, Does its job for me, a Cadet (Holds alot of junk, and looks cool... what more can a cadet ask for?). The Wash basin will serve for a headress if I ever loose my beret ;).

But overall I am still a happy loyal custermer, afterordering about 600-700$ worth of stuff from them this year

About the glasses case, I have one in OD, an original from 1990. I use it in the field for my Raybans in the Land Rovers to keep the dust off them, and it works fine. I was not disapponted at all. I hook it up to the dash, adn i know its limitations.

I had been buying stuff from Wheeler when it was called Ruggid back in the 80's. I still use the FMP OD cordurra (1990), OD tri-fold wallet (on my 4th one in about 15 yrs), original shaving kit (1986 its actually canvas), and   a few other OD things (shoe shin kit and a few misc items), most common is the plate, cup and KFS carrier in OD cordurra (1990), and everytime I am out bush I always get comments on people want one.

My next buy will be the OD polar fleece sleeping bag liner, and I would like the 1964 pattern ruck bag and acc's in Desert CADPAT. The ruck I am still using is the Cdn 1982 Ptrn type w/wire frame (its been welded up a few times ovver the yrs and has a red tint to it from the red bulldust of Australia, but holds up well). I am on my 3rd vallise though, and second harness assy. I have a 1964 frame, but I am not currently using it.

Aussie rucks are just simply CRAP, BTW I do have a new and unissued one if anyone wants to do a trade or something, and this is in the 'for sale' section on here, but look back to about a year ago. Its just not good enough for serious long hauls, but its fine for other things.

I occasionally have a squizz at the Wheeler website to stay in the know. Hopefully I'll be back in Saskatchewan for a visit in 2006, and I'll do up an order then.

Wheeler has been around for along time, and I have used their products in all climates (-40C Cdn winters to +45C Australian desert and tropical environments), and they wear well. I would recommend before purchasing anything what its limitations are, and if it suits your needs, as some of their current products do not really have much merrit, and would be more than a hinderance in many ways, but their mainstream stuff is fine.

Cheers,

Wes

Ive bought a few things from Cp gear, and have been mostly happy.

The Glasses case even with the rigid insert is useless. because its an envlope style, the rigid inserts crush ones glasses with even pressure all around, not just in one or two spots.

soft wash basin- i love it. lightweight, and it does hold its shape when full of water. dosent take up any room in your ruck.

Envlope style FMP- love that too, not overly bulky, and i love having the zip inner pocket, padding is good for proctecting things like a compass ect.

Ranger blanket stuff sack- also a good thing. its great for attaching to the small pack, its the perfect size for the issued thermal blanket and ranger blanket( if you have both) and a bivy bag.

name tapes- were good quality and looked good.

Stuff other people have bought

Kneeboard FMP- useless, he used it once and it was a peice of crap. dont bother unless your a pilot or possibly a permenant driver.

NBCD bag- I like it, and so does the owner. he uses it all the time.

gun plumber said:
What does it look like?
Is it a military pattern or a off the shelf?
The reason I want one in CADPAT is because as a member in a second line position I probably will never get one issued.We are apparntly are the absolute last people to recieve any type of issued kit,so until then I'll have to make do with what I got and buy the rest.
No Sorry CIC are the last to get anything issued. lol

Grunt said:
It is best to stick to tactical tailor, dropzone, Specopsbrand, HSG, ESSTAC, Custom Tactical Creations, and blackhawk (Their gen 4 STRIKE gear), for serious use gear.

LOL I probably have more non issued kit from these places then kit I got issued

Ya ya I know im a geardo ;D

+1

You get what you pay for!!! I would add Eagle and Artkis.

I am Starlight_CDN and I am a gear head. Starting the twelve step program soon. :D

my72jeep said:
No Sorry CIC are the last to get anything issued. lol
Hey jeep, I'm gonna have to call you on that one. CIC officers got CADPAT well before RMC finally got it.

Ok I would like to add my own review of the CP Gear FMP #5 (Slim FMP)

My first impression of the cover was that it is quite useful. For what I use it for (Cadet field training) it is a wonderful piece of kit.

First impression of the FMP #5 Pad Refill. It is too long! ??? >:( It is about 1 to 1.5 cm too long to fit in the cover. This was a major dissapointment, but after a minute or two of through, I pulled out a pair of scissors and simply trimmed each page short enough to fit in the cover, and it now fits in very nicely.

As for the pen pockets. After some initial grunting and struggling, I managed to fit 1x BIC blue ballpoint pen, 1x BIC mechanical pencil, and 1x black Sharpie in it. The reason it took some time to fit these, was that the sleeves were too tight. In the begining, if I tried to pull out the pen, all i would get is the pen lid, as the sleeve held on to the rest of it. After some use though, the sleeves have stretched enough for my pens to still be securely held, but not so tight that it is impossible to get out.

Now, the basic concept of this FMP, is that it will fit into the breast pocket of your combats. Yes it does. It fits rather nicely. I have 2 sets of OD combats. The pockets on one of the jackets fits the FMP very nicely, and on the other jacket, I have to pull a bit harder on the pocket cover, in order to button it up. I have also puchased a set of gen 1 CADPAT combats for the purpose of paintball/airsoft, and the FMP fits into the breast pocket very nicely. (no stretching of the pocket flap needed)

The downside. The size of the paper is just a bit too small for regular use. I also own a FMP #2 and I use that much more often. But if you need to jot down some quick notes about anything, or write up a quick nominal role, then the slim FMP is a good choice.

Overall, I am quite impressed with the degree of quality with this product. I have owned it for about 9 months, using it on all of my training weekends (about 2 per month) as well as regular training nights (2 nights a week), and have found no problems with the stitching or the zipper at all. Also, the extra large zipper pull string is of good quality and is quite useful when your fingers are numb.

All these lousy comments makes me glad that all I've bought from them are the nametapes. Although the FMP cover does work wonders.

I've been looking at the goggle covers wondering if they go all the way around or just over the lense...anybody know?

The Crowe said:
Heh, has everyone ordered those glasses case!!

They are utter rubbish, mind you I do quite approve of the other items I ordered. The Zippered Billfold Wallet - Exelent, a nice improvment from the millspec one. Nametages (same as mentioned abouve). Patrol Pack, Does its job for me, a Cadet (Holds alot of junk, and looks cool... what more can a cadet ask for?). The Wash basin will serve for a headress if I ever loose my beret ;).

But overall I am still a happy loyal custermer, afterordering about 600-700$ worth of stuff from them this year

What is a cadet going to do with $700 worth of Canadian Peacekeeper kit?

Stuff I've gotten:

FMP #4:  Love it.  Lots of little windows and pockets and stuff, majority of them are zippered or velcro'ed (safe and secure when running around).  Windows are great for quick references.

Nametags are useful of course.

The 3 point sling is worthless unless you've got a C8.  I wish they sold the CF style 3 point slings.  Or that SKS I recently bought...wish I didn't return the sling.

Pacing beads are horrible to use.

Scope and muzzle cover is pointless.

Carabiners aren't too bad, I don't know where I can get them locally.  Got some in Kingston, good novelty things for attaching a civvy mug to a ruck.

Flashlight holder...I have no idea how to attach this to the C7.

Maglites are a very good deal, good price if you aren't paying for shipping.

I love the pillow.  Better than using my air mattress and it's a good place to keep clean socks and underwear.

The cadpat belt is pretty good, better than the crappy one we get issued in the reserves.

Buck holder is great for a 3 inch folding knife holster.

The rifle butt pouch is the best.  We commonly are given 5 mags, but have to keep the mags off when taking a bus through civvie areas.  Rather than have the 5th mag slamming around in a pocket, I just attach it to the rifle.  Plus it makes it easy to identify your rifle in a pile of rifles, especially when you write your name and 3 digits.  Great also for stashing an empty mag if you have 4 mags only.

Jinxed said:
...The rifle butt pouch is the best.   We commonly are given 5 mags, but have to keep the mags off when taking a bus through civvie areas.   Rather than have the 5th mag slamming around in a pocket, I just attach it to the rifle.   Plus it makes it easy to identify your rifle in a pile of rifles, especially when you write your name and 3 digits.   Great also for stashing an empty mag if you have 4 mags only.
I've wondered about this:

Does the butt pouch get in the way when firing the rifle? I understand that it would be on the outside, but it just looks somewhat awkward.

I have bought from them before and everything was fine, but i just ordered two pairs of socks,zipper pulls and a black pouch and it cost me $40.00.

Back