• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian peacekeeper gear...

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, with the recent sale, myself and some other people put an order for some stuff into canadian peacekeeper... over all, can't say I was impressed this time (Had good experiences with them in the past). None of this stuff has been field tested, most just what I can see from initial inspection.

Name Tags - Actually looked much better then name tags I've bought from them in the past, much neater job. Wasn't disapointed in these.

Glasses Case - Utterly useless. They listed it as having a rigid liner. Mine arrived sans a rigid liner, it was in fact quite floppy. After writing them regarding this, I was informed that they were modifying their design and had removed the rigid liner (Odd, considering that it was bought as part of the sale, and the sale was supposedly a clearence of old, discontinued merchandise), and I was welcome to return the case for a full refund, which isn't worth it, as the cost of the return would be at least as much as the cost of the item as it was half price.

Collapsible wash basin (CadPat) - Looks cool. Also lighter weight then the issued wash basin. Not very stable though, and I'm also thinking that they'll become filthy quite easily. While the inside is rubberized quite well, there's still a cloth band around the top, not a good thing for somthing that gets filled with wash water. I supposed as long as it's washed regularly it will be fine, though I'm thinking the MilSpex knock off sold at most Canex's would be a better alternative if you really wanted to replace the issue wash basin. Though this item at least delivered everything the description promised.

Helmet Scrim - Good. It's all scraps of light weight cordura, so it won't soak up water. Unfortunately, I ordered a mix of cadpat, olive, and black, they sent me only olive and black. Unfortunately, like the glasses case, it's not worth enough to make it worth returning.

Zippered Field Pillows - These seem larger then I expected, weight wise that doesn't matter, as if you're taking a pillow, it generally means you're not humping it. More to the point, just seems like it would be hard to stuff enough clothes in there to make it all useful as a pillow. Haven't tried it yet though, and the polar fleece layer on it seem slike it would be very comfy. May work quite well. I'll wait until it's field tested to pass judgement.

Cargo Bag (CadPat) - This one was really an impulse buy as it was half price. While I can't see it getting much use, it seems well constructed, and looks good. No complaints about this item. Maybe I should have ordered it in olive, so I don't look as ridiculous carrying it around say, in an airport, on the other a hand, I already have a rather nice black cargo bag I bought on sale dirt cheap at a luggage store going out of business.

Over all, must say, very disapointed with this order, as I've had exceptionally good experiences in the past with wheelers.

I was also with their "Combat Blousers" not the normal ones the velcro ones...the MILSPEX ones are much thinner and are the ones shown in the pic the ones i recieved were at least a good 2 inches thick and impossible to use.

Awaiting my order,
but have some products from before. I have wallets, binders, FMPs, mag pouch for your rifle. Almost all the products I have received have far exceeded my expectations, the one or two which haven't they have replaced or refunded without hesitation or hassle.

I used to live in Fredricton a while back and seen some of their products. Those glasses cases are garbage. I wouldn't recommend them to my enemy.

The collapseable washbasin...How REMF do you wanna look? Another good idea that in reality doesn't work all that well.

Hence why they are onsale.

I ordered the cargo bag as well, cot rifle case (not to hold a rifle, but for my bedspace while deployed), and a couple other items. I'll put up my thoughts on then in a couple days.

Heh, has everyone ordered those glasses case!!

They are utter rubbish, mind you I do quite approve of the other items I ordered. The Zippered Billfold Wallet - Exelent, a nice improvment from the millspec one. Nametages (same as mentioned abouve). Patrol Pack, Does its job for me, a Cadet (Holds alot of junk, and looks cool... what more can a cadet ask for?). The Wash basin will serve for a headress if I ever loose my beret ;).

But overall I am still a happy loyal custermer, afterordering about 600-700$ worth of stuff from them this year

I have the pillow that you have bought.  It is a great peice of kit.

I keep my socks and underwear in it, and store it in my valise with my sleeping gear.  That way when I wake up in the morning my socks and underwear are already out for me to change saving me time.

Reference the glasses case, I may just slice it up and let my friend who bought the scrim slice it up to fill in for his missing cadpat pieces.

As long as we're reviewing their gear... here's some other stuff I've bought from them...

Combat Message Pad Cover - Excellent. Compared to the regular zip up message pad cover, this is definitly an improvement... velcroed cover over the pens, so they don't slide out, but easy to access, and extra space inside for sorting out papers, even a great pouch inside that I've found quite useful for collecting 50-50 money.

Boot Bands - Excellent boot bands. Far better then most I've found for sale, they don't dig into your leg at all, and they're plenty stretchy.

Pacing Beads - They do the job. I'm thinking I could make better ones out of plastic beads, as the rubber beads are a little hard to slide up and down, on the other hand, they useable with gloves. So no complaints here.

Name Tags - Hit or miss here. Some of their name tags are well made, some are not. Definitly a quality control issue. For what they cost, they should be better. Or they could at least make an *attempt* to centre the swords and names properly. My recent batch of name tags was pretty good though, so maybe they're getting better at it.

Laundry Bags - No complaints.

Mag Light Pouch - Great concept, poor execution. Not really deep enough to hold a mag lite with a rubber mount for filters attached. It will hold it, but the velcro isn't as secure as a result. I can definitly see room for improvement in the design.

Large Map Case - (Didn't buy this, used somone elses though) nice, but comes to wether or not you can find a good place to mount it. I had it attached to my webbing, and tucked between my butt pack and a radio, so it wasn't in the way. A zip lock bag and a properly folded map are probably just as good.

just bought the patrol pack, first reaction, is that the sholder straps may be a little close together(will rub on neck), though over my tack vest isnt too bad. I will post again, after i actually try this in the feild

Ive bought tons of stuff from them and i feel that they are outstanding with their service.

Hydropacks
C7 and c9 pouches
FMP
Pace beads
Boot bands
Name tags
Etc... doesn't matter everything ive ordered has come and been used I love all of their kit and i find it to be very useful in the field.

Its possible since they are updating all of their gear that there has been a slight issue with filling orders maybe you just caught them at a bad time. None the less i wouldn't stop using them, they support our troops and their gear is great in the field.

The only major complaint I have would be the hip belt on the Ops Pack : weird and impractical adjustement system.  I endend up unstitching the whole thing and repacing the buckle.

I had some doubts about the pack but for what I use it for, it's OK.

Squadron CO said:
The only major complaint I have would be the hip belt on the Ops Pack : weird and impractical adjustement system.   I endend up unstitching the whole thing and repacing the buckle.

I had some doubts about the pack but for what I use it for, it's OK.

do mean the recce pack?
http://www.wheelersonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=5020

Like It Scale of 1-4

I purchased a Canadian Peacekeeper FMP Cover (Now FMP #1) Great piece of kit, At Camp, I had to write up a memorandum in the middle of the night, in my hooch, it was a breeze, with the format right beside me in the protector cover, it was a breeze, plus all the storage space with the full length zippered pocket on the side is a bonus. Like it Scale: 4/4

Name Tags (3/4" Olive Webbing): They were pretty good, except the way they embroidered them, the stitching carried across the front from one letter to the other... and I ordered 3 of them...sigh... oh well, over all it was pretty good kit.   Like it Scale: 2/4

Watchband Cover (Olive): Pretty good piece of kit, though a friend of mine had to replace hers cuz the material that covered the watch, wore through with a small hole and a ring of white where the watch was. They could beef up the material there, other than that, good piece of kit. Like It Scale: 3.8/4

UPDATE - Bought More Stuff
Tri-Fold Zippered Wallet (Olive): Great piece of kit, bought it mostly because of the zippered change pouch, (hated my previous wallet because of that) plus the full length bill pocket is a nice feature for stuffing extra stuff in and not loosing it and lots of space for Credit Cards etc. Like It Scale: 4/4

Hang-Up Shower Shave Kit (Olive)
Is fairly good, though its just a bit to small for my stuff, I wonder if it would be better to add an extra zip up pouch on the bottom, for say your shampoo and Soap or the Collapsible washbasin, Like It Scale: 3/4

Field Pillow (Olive): The fleece is nice on the face at night and the being a stuff sack at night is a good feature, It fits the Liner of the 3-Season's Combat Jacket Perfectly, I wouldnt want to stuff next days clothes in there, because it doesnt keep the clothes warm (In the Winter anyway) and the only change Id want to make is so you can turn it inside out and zip it up, to protect the fleece and still have it be fufilled as a stuff sack, nonetheless, I am proud to say this is a great piece of kit Like It Scale 4/4

Zip up FMP #6 (Small one that goes with CP Gear Sm. waterproof paper)(Olive):
my only complaints is that it should of been a bit wider to accompany a pen / pencil slot, inside the FMP, Beside the paper. It fits the 50pg book, but there is lots of space (almost to much) and would probably better accompany a 100 pg Book Like It Scale: 3/4

Waterproof Paper (Sm Notepad, Green, 50pg):
Is what it says its, and dont use an eraser on the paper, because it immediately looses its green colour and turns white, it should come in a 100pg Form to better fit FMP #6 Like It Scale: 3/4

(Havent Bought this product yet, merely my observation from reading the catalouge)
Waterproof Pen: I dont know whether the pen is essential because, when using a regular pen the ink didnt run on me (after writing on a sheet of the waterproof paper and running the sheet of paper under water) the only thing I see as a bonus is its shorter than regular pens and might fit inside FMP#6

- q_1966   :warstory:

Haven't bought anything yet.I think I'm going to wait and see what mods they do to thier stuff first and see if I really need it(I really dont need a FMP cover that comes with more pockets than my ruck!).
I'm looking at thier hydration pack and just wonder if anyone has feedback.I already own a Hydrastorm(alright piece of kit,not great,but alright)but its pattern is desert,so I want a CADPAT one.
I have Peacekeeper kit and I can honestly say it was a worth while investment.My plate bag(Am I only one that knows what this is?)was bought in 94, has seen more field time than some troops I know and still continues to look brand new.IPE bag has never failed(I'm dissapointed that they discontinued this item)and other bits of kit still preform like new.
Has anyone had any negitive results(besides the glasses case)that they care to share?
The reason I ask is the Kitshop on base has some of the same peacekeeper kit that I'm interested in(generic product) and am just wondering if its worth placeing an order or just picking it up.
These items are the field pillow,sleeping bag liner and mock 64 pattern bag. 

Watchband Cover (Olive): Pretty good piece of kit, though a friend of mine had to replace hers cuz the material that covered the watch, wore through with a small hole and a ring of white where the hole was. The need to beef up the material there, other than that, good piece of kit.

UGHHH!!

I used to have one of these, but have since realized that it serves no purpose whatsover. At best, it will protect the watchface so when you wear that big ugly green thing on your wrist to the bar chicks will be impressed that your Timex is free of scratches.

Burrows said:
I was also with their "Combat Blousers" not the normal ones the velcro ones...the MILSPEX ones are much thinner and are the ones shown in the pic the ones i recieved were at least a good 2 inches thick and impossible to use.

The wider trouser blousers with Velcro - like hockey shin pad straps - are designed to avoid cutting off the circulation in your legs, which can precipitate varicose veins as you get older
(unlike the "normal" little ones made of thin, elasticised string).
They're also more versatile, especially if you need to improvise/strap something.

They're not "impossible to use" - after lacing up your boots, you wrap the blousers around the top of your boot (or your calves immediately above the tops of your boots), and then tuck the cuffs up into the blousers.

gun plumber said:
Haven't bought anything yet.I think I'm going to wait and see what mods they do to thier stuff first and see if I really need it(I really dont need a FMP cover that comes with more pockets than my ruck!).
I'm looking at thier hydration pack and just wonder if anyone has feedback.I already own a Hydrastorm(alright piece of kit,not great,but alright)but its pattern is desert,so I want a CADPAT one.
I have Peacekeeper kit and I can honestly say it was a worth while investment.My plate bag(Am I only one that knows what this is?)was bought in 94, has seen more field time than some troops I know and still continues to look brand new.IPE bag has never failed(I'm dissapointed that they discontinued this item)and other bits of kit still preform like new.
Has anyone had any negitive results(besides the glasses case)that they care to share?
The reason I ask is the Kitshop on base has some of the same peacekeeper kit that I'm interested in(generic product) and am just wondering if its worth placeing an order or just picking it up.
These items are the field pillow,sleeping bag liner and mock 64 pattern bag.

You dont really need to buy a CADPAT Hydration Pack, the issue one is already issued in Afghanistan and qill be issued in the next month in Canada.

Sorry, I write in the post  :-\

What I was saying is that you dont really need to buy CADPAT Hydration Pack, the issue one (CamelBack) is already issued in Afghanistan and will be issued this year in Canada.

What does it look like?
Is it a military pattern or a off the shelf?
The reason I want one in CADPAT is because as a member in a second line position I probably will never get one issued.We are apparntly are the absolute last people to recieve any type of issued kit,so until then I'll have to make do with what I got and buy the rest.

Just take a look here, you will see them at the 6th page. Its made like the other CamelBack, just in CADPAT and a few adds.

http://www.textiles.ca/ctidndconference/6th_2003/presentations/Army.PDF

Back