• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadpat Appropriate for Wear in Public?

Do you think that Cadpat/Combats is an appropriate form of dress for CF Members attending public eve

• Yes, I think that cadpats should be appropriate for wear at all public occasions.

Votes: 152 52.2%
  • No, I think that DEUs are a better representation of a professional when in the public eye.

Votes: 139 47.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Fisher

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I was watching the Oilers vs. Blue Jackets game last night (after watching my Habs win against the Panthers in OT  ;D) and the camera panned in on this group of CF soldiers at the game in Edmonton.  To my shock, they were all dressed in cadpat combats  :eek:.

I can see the point in wearing combats for certain public events, such as dog & pony shows of vehicles/equipment, etc.  However for attending something as a sporting event like the hockey game or another public function where you're in uniform to represent yourself as a Soldier, why not do it with a bit more class and do it in DEUs?

I know that in the Marines, we're very draconian about wear of our combat utility uniform off base, to the point that you can and will likely get charged if caught in your utilities in a restaurant, shopping mall, or any other non-duty event.  However, we have a reputation of always being well turned out with our service dress uniforms because we make a point of keeping marpat utilities for work/field and using service dress or blues for public functions.

IMO, for any *formal* public event, DEUs. Anything less formal, well, cadpat is fine.

A lot of places have soldier appreciation.  The Manitoba Moose did it all the time and the dress for the night was combats.

The Senators do that too, and I think its in combats as well. I agree that for more 'formal' events DEU is the way to go.

At work we're pretty diligent about making sure the guys don't go and hang around the mall in combats, or go to bars after work. Haven't seen anyone charged, but people have been given warnings for sure.

signalsguy said:
The Senators do that too, and I think its in combats as well. I agree that for more 'formal' events DEU is the way to go.

At work we're pretty diligent about making sure the guys don't go and hang around the mall in combats, or go to bars after work. Haven't seen anyone charged, but people have been given warnings for sure.

The Skydome in Toronto as well has CF Appreciation Days....
We would often load up on the busses in Trenton in our cadpat to make our way there to see the Blue Jays....lose!!

CADPAT is fine at a hockey.  There's nothing special about a hockey game. I think you should follow this if you would dress up for it in civi's then DEU, but it has to formal.

Has anyone here gotten married in their dress uniform?

AoD71 said:
Has anyone here gotten married in their dress uniform?

Yup, and with all the attention I got on the way to the church, I wanted to put it off a few more years!  ;D

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but for the sake of not eating more bandwidth by starting another topic, is one permitted to wear their DEU's at things such as graduation dinner-dances and such?

Bosa said:
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but for the sake of not eating more bandwidth by starting another topic, is one permitted to wear their DEU's at things such as graduation dinner-dances and such?

With permission, yes.

I did get married in uniform, and it's common practice. Some will say that they wear army gear during the day and it's enough. Some others want to get married in CF's because they're proud to be in the CF and want to do it in CF's (DEU). Some who do will wear a white dress shirt and a black tie instead of the issued stuff.

It is a personal decision.
Ref CADPAT, in Gagetown, you see army personnel wearing CADPAT all over the place. It also depends of the ratio serving members/civvies in the area.
In Quebec city, it is rare to see people in uniform. I read on this forum that some serving members, in some areas of the country, are not really welcomed by the population.

In short, the "uniform in public" thing depends of where you are...

I can't answer the poll as it doesn't have enough options. Combats are fine for some occasions, but not all. Not all situations warrant DEUs, either. And finally, most situations don't require any uniform, whatsoever, and should be attended in civvies, especially if alcohol is likely to be involved. More so if alcohol and cameras are present.

I think soldiers going out in public in cadpat (Well behaved and not swearing) is a good thing. More publicity and people become more comfortable with the fact Canada has soldiers and they live next to them.  DUE's are a little too formal IMHO for stuff like that.

I'm actually trying to bring about more section "brotherhood" with the guys in my section by proposing stuff like movie nights, BBQs, heading too a restraunt or bar.  I'm toying with the idea of going in uniform.

It is fairly common practise in our unit for some of the guys to hit the bars after a Parade night in uniform. Nobody has really said anything about it, and those who take part are often senior NCM's themselves...

IMHO - CADPAT is wrinkle resistant and washer/dryer safe.  DEU is normally drycleaned.  If you are sitting around on a bus and then at an arena/ball park it can be hard to look polished to the other spectators and for the tv cameras. CADPAT is easier to keep people looking uniform and relaxed (no unbuttoned tunics or loosened ties). Is everyone else in attendance dressed formally? Or are the fans wearing t-shirts, jeans and ballcaps.

If your parading onto the field go formal, if you are window-dressing in the seats - CADPAT.

I never really understood the RegF aversion to going out after work in uniform - to dinner, even to a drink at a bar. Be professional, don't do anything stupid, and hopefully impress some girls. I think all Res units have a tradition of going out after parade night in uniform - to bars, restaurants, wherever. Soldiers should be proud of their uniforms and happy to be seen in public in them at any opportunity.

However, any public event, I think troops should be in DEUs. Sports games, PAffO, recruiting, etc. Heck, even for office work, I think combats are inappropriate.

We're soldiers, we're supposed to look different - tighter, better, stronger, cleaner, and symbolizing the CF. Anonymous relish doesn't quite do that like DEUs. The idea is not to look like the rumpled masses.

I have been on both sides of the Total Force fence. Perhaps the "RegF aversion" comes from wearing the uniform more than one parade night each week.  Maybe your time at the bar in uniform reflects poorly on all of us, so the RegF superiors take a dim view of punch-ups involving any uniformed, inebriated soldiers.

Not to mention in downtown Guelph I might stand out and have the LCF, while in downtown Pembroke I would look like I was too lazy to go home and shower/ change after work before going out......

Cadpat is the dress of the day - regardless of being in the office, the hangar or in the field.... that's great but, regardless of how hard you try to look good, you won't look your very best.

Cadpat is great but, you can do better. A well tailored set of DEUs will get everyone's attention... you only get one chance to make a good 1st impressions

If you're going out on the town (driving) & you "may" have a drink.... do everyone a favour... wear civvies! Every day I get reports on guys in uniform getting it on and getting stopped by the locals or the MPs... the repercussions aren't worth it!!

Wearing CADPAT is like a mechanic wearing his coveralls - we need a nice uniform so I can dazzle the ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back