• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brits get new Patrol Vehicle

Kirkhill

Puggled and Wabbit Scot.
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This was taken from Defense-Aerospace.com - a decidedly Euro friendly site.

The editor added this note:
(EDITOR’S NOTE: Whatever its other qualities, this vehicle lacks protection for its crew, whether from the elements or from enemy weapons. It also seems vulnerable to land mines, as it appears to have a flat bottom and the crew sits above the axles, which detonate any land mines they roll over. Its weapon stations also lack ballistic protection of any kind, raising questions as to its combat effectiveness.)

Here's the article and a picture.  It will be interesting to here Infidel 6 and Tango 2 Bravo weigh in on this one.  ;D

New Patrol Vehicles Will Give Troops Enhanced Capability

(Source: UK Ministry of Defence; issued June 25, 2007)

The MOD will buy new weapons-mounted patrol vehicles under an Urgent Operational Requirement for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan it was announced today, Monday 25 June 2007. 

The new MWMIK 4x4 vehicles, described by one serving officer as 'like a Land Rover on steroids', will deliver a new level of power to the WMIK (Weapons Mounted Installation Kit) fleet, with more firepower and a better range and mobility. It will be fast for a four tonne vehicle, with a potential top speed of 80mph (130km/h). 

The vehicle can be fitted with a range of firepower including a .50 calibre machine gun or an automatic grenade launcher and a general purpose machine gun, as well as carrying up to four troops with their own individual weapons. 

Welcoming the decision to purchase MWMIK, Lord Drayson, Minister of State for Defence Equipment and Support, said: 

"These vehicles are well armed, swift, and agile and will boost our capability with some serious firepower. MOD and the Treasury have worked hard to get these powerful vehicles to our troops in quick time, and they will start going out to theatre early next year." 

The vehicle can operate across a whole range of terrain, something which will be particularly useful in the desert, especially in Afghanistan where much of the terrain does not have roads. 

It is expected that the new vehicles, 130 in total, will begin deploying out to operational theatres early in 2008. The new MWMIK vehicle will include the following features: 

- Longer range 
- Greater payload 
- Greater mobility 
- A top speed of up to 80mph (130km/h) (ends) 

By the way - I THINK you are looking at the front end.

Looks like the type of vechicle that would of fit right into the Long Range Desert Group of North Africa fame, but I wonder how it will fare against the type of threats we're seeing nowadays. Though, it will certainly make pursuit of the enemy a lot easier.

As a patrol veh, its durability is more important than its looks.

If it can haul a crew of 3 or more, fuel, food, water, etc for 5 or more days and be repaired with relative ease...then it is probably a pretty good veh.

Protection from the elements looks a bit sparse...I imagine there would be a bit of tarping to go with it.

this is my 3000th post

I suppose I should clarify a bit, I'm sure it is a great vechicle, however based solely on appearances I wonder about it's ability to withstand the variety of IED threats. 

Fifth Horse - I think you are bang on with respect to the LRDG reference.  To my eye this vehicle looks as if it is designed with the experience in Maysan and Helmand in mind.  The Brits have been doing the LRDG thing in those areas - patrolling open country and keeping off the roads.  In Maysan in particular they have been staying away from population centres to interdict smugglers.

They have also been buying MRAPs for urban patrols and line of communication work.

This is the last in the series and they are alll a good read as to the likely tactical use of ths vehicle.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/death-or-glory-part-iv.htm

looks like a flat bottom vice a slopped hull which a we know is better for mines etc.  I hear the Americans are looking for something with  a V hull to replace their Hummers as they are taking major damage with their flat bottom floors.

http://www.supacat.com/supacat_products_hmt400.htm

This appears to be the vehicle in question.  A bit more from the manufacturer: Supacat.  No word on mine-proofing.

Disregard previous image with weapons - it was apparently a bad photo-shop job

Sorry.

Perhaps this is actually a good sign. Rather than reflexively wrapping ourselves in more layers of armour (and eventually shunning going out to further reduce the risks) we should consider means to regain the initiative. Intensive patrolling and getting "boots on the ground" is still the most effective means of controlling the AOR, and vehicles that permit unrestricted mobility and interaction with the population are important pieces of the puzzle.

Not to say we should just drive out the gate in Toyota Land cruisers and Ford F-150 pickups (although that is exactly how the ANA and ANP have to operate), but if there is a permissive or semi permissive environment, then park the heavy stuff and go out on the ground with more user friendly kit. Even in decidedly non permissive environments (i.e. the British unit in Iraq working the Iranian border now, or the exploits of the SAS mobility troop during the Persian Gulf War) light vehicles have shown their worth, and certainly they can get you places heavier armoured vehicles cannot.

As to the mine worthiness of the vehicle, it is hard to say from pictures, and I havn't seen one up close enough to tell. The square sides may be sponsons for carrying extra kit, after all, and the "Dingo" makes use of a flexible bottom plate to protect the crew (although I don't know how well that works either).

a_majoor said:
..., and the "Dingo" makes use of a flexible bottom plate to protect the crew (although I don't know how well that works either).

No. The "Dingo" use an V-shaped bottom. IIRC the bottom consists of the two V-shaped plates with some space between them.

Regards,
ironduke57

It seems we are both correct:

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/bg-apv-project.htm

Dingo 2 is the latest version of KMW’s All- Protected Carrier Vehicle. [1]  Unlike the two other APV candidates, Dingos have a frame protected by a belly plate. This arrangement has  fallen into disfavour  for  mine-resistant vehicles in some quarters. But the Dingo has a material advantage: its belly pan uses the unique characteristics of composite fibres to absorb blast energy through distortion – before returning to its original shape.

An interesting idea, and there are several pictures of Dingos that have run into mines or IEDs that would seem to validate the concept. It sounds like it would reduce the overall weight of the vehicle.

Back