• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Admirals walk the plank after Iranian humiliation
Naval commanders have paid the price for the fiasco over the arrest of 15 sailors and marines by Revolutionary Guards

Michael Smith From The Sunday Times December 7, 2008

THE Royal Navy has been accused of carrying out a discreet purge of senior figures involved in the fiasco over the arrest by Iranian Revolutionary Guards of 15 British sailors and Marines.

Those involved in the navy’s humiliation have left their high-profile jobs as part of an attempt, it is claimed, to sweep away any reminder of the debacle, regarded as one of the biggest embarrassments to befall the fleet since Admiral Byng failed to relieve Minorca in 1756. He was executed for his incompetence.

Victims include two vice-admirals and the captain of the ship on which the boat crews served. A senior official involved in the “spin” operation that followed their return to Britain has left the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

“Everyone involved in this debacle knew their careers were going nowhere but this was done in a very British way to avoid the impression of a public purge,” said a senior source close to the internal inquiry.

There was widespread anger when eight Royal Marines and seven sailors, including a woman, gave up without firing a shot after being left with no helicopter cover during the incident in March last year. They had been boarding suspect vessels in the northern Gulf to check for insurgents or contraband. Tehran said they were in Iranian waters when seized. The British insisted they were in international waters.

They were released after 13 days’ captivity and shown in front of cameras talking to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president. They thanked Iran and were even given “goody bags” to take home.

The navy’s embarrassment was compounded by the decision to allow two of them, Leading Seaman Faye Turney and Able Seaman Arthur Batchelor, the youngest at 20, to sell their stories to tabloid newspapers.

Batchelor made things worse when he revealed that the extent of his ordeal while in Iranian custody involved jailers flicking their fingers against his neck, calling him “Mr Bean” and taking his iPod.

Tony Blair, then prime minister, insisted there would be “no witch-hunt” and no individuals were blamed for the fiasco or the decision to allow the sailors to sell their stories. Behind the scenes, however, senior figures have departed.

The most senior was Vice-Admiral Sir Adrian Johns, second sea lord, who publicly took the blame for the decision to allow Turney and Batchelor to sell their stories. He was not given another post and has retired.

Vice-Admiral Charles Style, assistant chief of the defence staff in charge of operations, who had to explain to the media what had happened, was replaced after just 18 months in his post. He was sent to command the Royal College of Defence Studies in London, with the three-year term taking him up to retirement. Defence sources claim he was unfairly treated.

James Clark, director of news at the MoD when the stories were sold, went on a course at the college and has since left to join a consultancy. He insisted he had not been sidelined, saying: “A great job came up so I took it.”

Commander Jeremy Woods, Cornwall’s captain, was relieved of his command in July after an assessment found he was “not in a position to take the ship forward”. He is still in the navy.

Des Browne, then defence secretary, lost his job in October’s reshuffle and was widely seen as having been sacked.

Turney and Batchelor are still serving. Turney, 27, said at home in Plymouth: “I have not he a rd people have been removed from posts.” Batchelor, 21, still serves on the Cornwall and was unavailable.

The MoD denied any purge, insisting those concerned “chose to move to other things”.

Recent naval fluffs

- February 2002. Royal Marines training in Gibraltar misread their maps and invaded Spain by landing on the beach at La Linea. They apologised and quickly retreated.

- July 2002. The destroyer HMS Nottingham ran aground off Australia, tearing a 160ft hole in her side. Returning and repairing the ship cost £42m. Commander Richard Farrington, the captain, was court-martialled and reprimanded and the officer of the watch was “dismissed his ship”.

- January 2008. The aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious set off to head a task group bound for the Indian Ocean but returned to Portsmouth when its fridge broke down. Officers feared that meat might go off in the hot climate.

They forgot one: NLP 8901 surrendering to the Argies in 1982. We were pulling our hair out when we heard about that one. On the plus side, they gave a good account of themselves before they were 'bagged'.

daftandbarmy said:
They forgot one: NLP 8901 surrendering to the Argies in 1982. We were pulling our hair out when we heard about that one. On the plus side, they gave a good account of themselves before they were 'bagged'.

Weren't they normally embarked on HMS ENDURANCE before the war?

Yes, but they were dropped off at the last minute to oppose the Argie landing. After killing a few of the invaders (and almost sinking a destroyer with the Carl G), they were ordered to surrender by Rex Hunt, the Governor.

We went nuts. "Why didn't they E&E into the mountains" we said. Being with the Parachute Regiment, of course, we ragged the Marines mercilessly about it. Ah well, it all sounded good from an armchair several thousand miles away.

daftandbarmy said:
Who said anything about wanting her to remain upright?  ;D

How the hell is she supposed to get to the door to pay for the pizza and grab you a beer out of the fridge on the way back to horizontal? Might slide the pizza ... might spill the beer. All of which are BIG no - nos.

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Insurer's snub to tanks ace
Robin Perrie, The Sun (UK), 8 Dec 08
Article link

A HERO squaddie has been refused car insurance — because he drives armoured vehicles for the Army.

L/cpl Joe Meecham, 21, returns home today after a six-month stint in Afghanistan, having already served in Iraq.

But he will not be allowed behind the wheel of mum Joanne’s Hyundai Coupé.

Joe has already been covered with Admiral to drive the £9,000 motor — which he sold to 45-year-old Joanne when he was sent to Helmand in July.

For his return, she applied for his name to be added to her policy. But Auto Direct Insurance Services turned her down flat.

Joe — of the Queen’s Royal Lancers — passed his driving test before joining the Army.

He has only three penalty points for speeding.

Office manager Joanne, of Barnsley, South Yorks, said yesterday: “Auto Direct took all his details.

“He’d had a few bumps but nothing serious. Then the woman on the phone said the underwriters, HSBC, had refused him. She said it was because of his occupation.

“So he’s OK to get behind the wheel of what is effectively a tank in a war zone, but not to drive a normal car back home?

“These boys put their lives on the line for us and they are treated like this when they get home. It stinks.”

An HSBC spokesman said: “There seems to have been confusion. We’ll look at this again.”

Maybee they were afraid he'd take the Hyundai to Afghanistan

OR

They might think he took some driving lessons from Toyota driving Afghans at the "In sha Allah" school of better driving >:D

ArmyVern said:
How the hell is she supposed to get to the door to pay for the pizza and grab you a beer out of the fridge on the way back to horizontal? Might slide the pizza ... might spill the beer. All of which are BIG no - nos.

44D- wow.....upright or horizontal I wouldn't care.

I can hear infantrymen throughout the British Isles crying out in sympathy... or not

Sailors on HMS Nottingham sleep in clothes after heating breaks

Sailors living aboard the disaster-prone Royal Navy warship, HMS Nottingham, have been forced to sleep in their clothes because the heating has broken down.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/3530704/Sailors-on-HMS-Nottingham-sleep-in-clothes-after-heating-breaks.html

Speaking of the Navy, here's good way to go out in style. I think I'll run down and get my will changed tomorrow.

Royal Navy diver has ashes scattered by torpedo explosion
A Royal Navy diver has had his ashes scattered on the seabed in a torpedo explosion exercise.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3548281/Royal-Navy-diver-has-ashes-scattered-by-torpedo-explosion.html

Derick Redfern's dying wish was for his ashes to be scattered at sea and his widow Ann asked the Navy to help.

Mr Redfern worked as a diver during more than 30 years in the service after joining up when he was 16 and died this year aged 71 at his home in Cornwall.
His widow Ann, aged 68, contacted the Navy in Plymouth to ask for help and they agreed to see him off in style.
They took a canister with his ashes to a torpedo on the seabed at Jennycliff, near Plymouth, and attached it to the nose of the tube.
The torpedo was then blown up as part of an exercise training divers in how to dispose of dangerous ordnance on the seabed.
Ann watched the blast from the cliff top at a ceremony with a Royal Navy chaplain and said it was exactly what Mr Redfern would have wanted.
She said: "He was a wonderful character, larger than life, and this was the most fitting tribute me and his friends could think of.
"He had such a full life and career with the Royal Navy."
Lieutenant Mark Northcote from the Southern Diving Unit, said: "Of course I agreed to the request.
"When I mentioned to Ann we were due to do a training exercise to explode a torpedo, she thought Mr Redfern would have loved the idea of his ashes being attached to it for the explosion.
"It is the first time I have ever done anything like this. It was a wonderful tribute to a fellow diver."

Prince Harry to train to be pilot  
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7777637.stm
Page last updated at 14:21 GMT, Thursday, 11 December 2008

Prince Harry is to train to become an Army Air Corps helicopter pilot after passing the unit's selection process.

Clarence House said the prince would start training next month now he has completed a four-week course to assess his talent and ability to fly.

Earlier this year, the 24-year-old, an officer in the Household Cavalry Regiment, served in Afghanistan and has said he would like to return.

His brother, Prince William, was awarded his RAF pilot's wings in April.

Prince Harry's father, Prince Charles, and uncle, the Duke of York, have also learned to pilot military helicopters.

Reconnaissance

To pass the selection test, candidates had to chalk up 13 hours of flying, during which they had to prove their ability to learn and progress.

If Prince Harry now goes on to successfully complete the 16-month full training process, he could fly one of three different types of helicopter; a Gazelle, Lynx, or Apache.

The Gazelle and Lynx are used for reconnaissance and moving troops, while the Apache is used for attack purposes.

Last December, Prince Harry flew to Afghanistan with the Blues and Royals where he completed 10 weeks of active service, making him the first royal in over 25 years to serve in a war zone.

But his tour of duty was cut short after a media blackout was broken, leading to fears the leak would make him a target of the Taleban.

After his return, he spoke of the experience as among the happiest of his life and of his desire to return to the frontline "very, very soon".

In September, it was announced Prince William is to train to become a full-time search and rescue pilot with the RAF.

Dead British soldier George 'Sparky' Sparks relished his job – and his duty
Chris Terrill on a man who embodied the spirit of the Royal Marines and whose funeral takes place on Saturday – on his 20th birthday.

Last Updated: 3:16PM GMT 12 Dec 2008

For Queen and country: Marine George Sparks, right, with a colleague
Just over two weeks ago, a young Royal Marine sniper climbed silently but purposefully onto the mud roof of a deserted house in a bullet-pocked Afghani compound. Another marine followed and together they peered over a parapet trying to get an urgent fix on Taliban positions. Eyes darting, they looked for enemy movement. Suddenly, without warning, the lethal sound of an incoming rocket was followed by an ear-splitting explosion. When the smoke cleared both marines lay still – one dead, one mortally wounded.
I am at home, about to leave for the gym, when the phone rings. I really don’t have time for a telephone call, but I answer none the less.
“Hello,” I say.
“Chris,” replies a disembodied voice amid a deafening buzz of static and crackle. “…it’s Orlando…ringing from Afghanistan.”
“Orlando!” I shout delightedly. “How are you mate…?”
Orlando, a friend and Royal Marines officer, phones occasionally for a chat when he’s not on operations. I am eager to hear his news – bugger the gym!
Orlando’s voice comes and goes through the hissing interference, so I am only getting every few words.
“Mate… tell you… direct hit… Sparks…”
“Orlando, I’m not receiving you,” I shout. “Say again…” There is a pause as he moves position to get a better signal.
“Is that any better?” he asks.
“Bit faint – but I can just about hear you. What was that you said?”
“Mate, thought I should tell you. Georgie Sparks was killed today. Direct hit by an RPG [rocket propelled grenade.]”
I open my mouth but say nothing. The news stuns me into silence. This can’t be true. “Sparky?” I stammer eventually. “But he was only 19,” I hear myself saying, as if being 19 should have made him invulnerable to enemy explosives.
“I know mate, it’s f------ s---,” replies Orlando. We talk as best we can for a few minutes before the signal fails completely and we lose contact. I listen to the empty static in a trance of disbelief and tangled memories.
In my mind I can hear the sound of a distant train. It is the 9.28 from Exeter coming into the platform at the Commando Training Centre at Lympstone. The date is June 17, 2006 and I am waiting on the platform for the arrival of 49 new recruits about to start 32 weeks of training to become Royal Marines Commandos – the toughest basic military training in the world.
The young men about to get off the train will comprise 924 Training Troop and, although they don’t yet know it, I will be making a series of films for ITV about their progress as recruits. I swing my camera round as dozens of young men get off the train wearing civilian clothes and dragging heavy cases.
They are quick to line up in front of an impatient looking corporal with a clipboard who starts to check off their names. “Lee!” “Present, corporal!” “John!” “Present, corporal!” “Williams!” “Present, corporal!” “Sparks!” “Present, corporal!” George Sparks looks more like a boy than a young man. Small, fresh faced and ill at ease, he seems out of place alongside some of his more robust, muscular and confident fellow recruits. I make a mental note of George Sparks, partly because he looks so out of place and partly, I admit, because I don’t reckon he is going to make it through the first few weeks of training.
I am not alone in my misgivings about the 17-year-old from Essex. Lieutenant Orlando Rogers, the 924 Troop Commander, a man-mountain, is not convinced that George Sparks has made the right decision to come to Lympstone and is far from confident that his small frame and musculature will stand up to the very considerable physical challenges ahead.
Jon Stratford, the troop’s physical training instructor, is convinced the shy and awkward teenager will fall at a very early hurdle. There is one person, however, who has great belief in George Sparks and that he is made of the right stuff, not only to win the coveted green beret and become a Royal Marines Commando, but that he will become a very fine Royal Marines Commando. That person is George Sparks himself.
Over the following weeks and months, many of the original recruits in 924 Troop fall by the wayside. Some are injured as the rigours of training take their toll on bone, muscle and sinew. Otherwise, the constant demand for self-discipline and mental application defeat all but the most dedicated and able. By week 30, only six original recruits remain. One of those is George Sparks who, by stubborn single-mindedness, strength of mind and firmness of purpose has passed every test necessary and risen to every challenge. But he is not out of the woods yet – far from it. He, like all recruits, must run the famous “Commando Tests” – four final trials of strength and courage – that have to be passed to win the green beret and pass out as a commando. Once again, Sparky has to dig deep.
The first three tests – the seven-mile endurance run in full fighting order, the nine-mile speed march and the Tarzan assault course – are all a taste of hell but Sparky pulls through. There remains the final test – a 30-mile run over Dartmoor carrying 40lb. On paper, the “30 Miler” is a virtual impossibility. At the 20-mile stage everyone is convinced Sparky will collapse with exhaustion and plummeting blood sugar levels, but he summons inner strength and manages, with the help of six Mars bars, to keep his arms and legs pumping long enough to cross the line to claim his green beret. There is no drama, no bragging, no boasting, just a gentle smile and a determination to get on with the job.
We are all incredibly proud of Sparky, not least those that doubted him – people like Orlando Rogers, his troop commander, Jon Stratford, his PTI, and me, by now a friend.
A week later, Sparky’s parents, Wayne and Toni, and his sister Katie, are at Lympstone to see him awarded his green beret at the passing-out parade, as well as the Commando Medal awarded to the recruit who best exhibits the commando qualities of courage, determination, unselfishness and cheerfulness in the face of adversity – an award voted for by fellow recruits. Then, Wayne, Toni and Katie watch Sparky and the rest of 924 Troop receive their final orders at the Commando Training Centre – “Royal Marines to your duties, quick march!”
I was not with Sparky and his fellow marines when they deployed to Afghanistan in September, but I can well imagine how he felt. I have been alongside other Royal Marines fighting for their lives in that war-ravaged country and know how the adrenaline pumps through the veins when advancing into enemy territory. I know the smell of fear that fills the nostrils when the enemy attacks. But most of all I know the feeling of intense togetherness, of brotherhood, that binds marines when facing a common foe.
Back in 2006, as part of my filming, I joined a troop of Royal Marines at Kajaki – a place as desolate as it is remote. There, I ventured out with the troop as they took on the enemy in ferocious fire-fights. I saw Royal Marines Commandos in front-line action, doing their duty, exhibiting jaw-dropping bravery, killing – because that is their trade – and, inevitably, being killed.
Barely 20 months since passing out, Sparky is dead – killed, alongside fellow marine Tony Evans, north-west of Lashkar Gar in southern Afghanistan. They were the 127th and 128th British soldiers to die in this still escalating conflict.
So, was Sparky’s death in vain? And Tony’s, too? Are all the deaths and horrific injuries sustained by our troops in vain? Some would have it so. Sometimes, I confess, I think so myself. But I can tell you this. Sparky would not have thought so. In his understated and modest way he would have argued the toss with anyone who even hinted at such an idea.
It is not that he would have had any great opinions about the need to confront global terrorism or even the promotion of democracy in places like Afghanistan. Sparky was doing what he was trained to do, but more than anything else he was there to protect and defend his comrades. As a specialist sniper, he was watching out for other Royal Marines when he was killed. Protecting his mates. He would not have had it any other way. He relished his job just as he relished his duty but, above all, he valued the bond between marines. Knowing that any marine would die for him, he would not have questioned the need, if it arose, to die for them. That need did arise and Sparky answered the call. It’s not a hero thing. It’s just a soldier thing, a Royal Marine thing or, in this case, a Georgie Sparks thing.
924 Troop disbanded the day the recruits passed out, but now, as I write, it is reforming. I don’t mean in a physical way but an emotional way. Spiritual even. Former members, including some who never made it through training, are contacting each other: phoning, emailing, Facebooking – just to talk about Sparky. It is a way for everyone to keep his candle burning: by remembering him and celebrating the sort of bloke he was.
We will all be at his funeral tomorrow on what would have been his 20th birthday. And we will remind ourselves that Sparky will never grow old. He will always be nearly 20. Forever.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/3724586/Dead-British-soldier-George-Sparky-Sparks--relished-his-job---and-his-duty.html

SAS will take on Taleban after leaving Iraq
Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:07 pm

From The Times
December 13, 2008

Michael Evans, Defence Editor

Two SAS squadrons are to switch from Iraq to Afghanistan next year to mount one of the biggest covert operations for decades against the Taleban leadership and opium smugglers, who help to fund insurgents.

They plan to mount a combined operation with the Special Boat Service (SBS), the Royal Marines' equivalent of the Army's elite regiment, which is currently leading covert missions in Helmand province in southern Afghanistan.

The SAS served with distinction in Afghanistan in the early years of the campaign from 2001. It became involved in highly unusual formation assaults on the Taleban and al-Qaeda terrorists, and also in hunting for Osama bin Laden and drug traffickers.

A decision was taken about three years ago, however, to divide up the roles of special forces, giving the SBS leading responsibility for covert missions in Helmand province, while the SAS took charge in Iraq.

It has been operating from both Baghdad and Basra in the south of Iraq, where the rest of the British forces have been based for the past five years.

Next year, as most of the 4,100 troops are withdrawn, the SAS will also be pulled out, but its expertise and unrivalled experience of covert missions against foreign terrorists and insurgents will be exploited to the full in southern Afghanistan.

www.timesonline.co.uk/...333416.ece

daftandbarmy said:
Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:07 pm

From The Times
December 13, 2008

Michael Evans, Defence Editor

Two SAS squadrons are to switch from Iraq to Afghanistan next year to mount one of the biggest covert operations for decades against the Taleban leadership and opium smugglers, who help to fund insurgents.

They plan to mount a combined operation with the Special Boat Service (SBS), the Royal Marines' equivalent of the Army's elite regiment, which is currently leading covert missions in Helmand province in southern Afghanistan.

The SAS served with distinction in Afghanistan in the early years of the campaign from 2001. It became involved in highly unusual formation assaults on the Taleban and al-Qaeda terrorists, and also in hunting for Osama bin Laden and drug traffickers.

A decision was taken about three years ago, however, to divide up the roles of special forces, giving the SBS leading responsibility for covert missions in Helmand province, while the SAS took charge in Iraq.

It has been operating from both Baghdad and Basra in the south of Iraq, where the rest of the British forces have been based for the past five years.

Next year, as most of the 4,100 troops are withdrawn, the SAS will also be pulled out, but its expertise and unrivalled experience of covert missions against foreign terrorists and insurgents will be exploited to the full in southern Afghanistan.

www.timesonline.co.uk/...333416.ece

So much for remaining covert... ;D

I suspect the story is informed speculation. There have been regular and territorial SAS casualties reported, which perhaps explains the two squadron remark, although that could be based upon the alleged Baghdad and Basra deployment. It is possible the regiment will be commited in strength in Afghanistan.

Old Sweat said:
I suspect the story is informed speculation. There have been regular and territorial SAS casualties reported, which perhaps explains the two squadron remark, although that could be based upon the alleged Baghdad and Basra deployment. It is possible the regiment will be commited in strength in Afghanistan.

Most of 21 SAS is already there. Note to Canada... this is a TA (Reservist) SAS squadron!. I assume that they'll send 22 to AFG as there are more bad guys who will need killing there right now.

And just in case you want to join, here is a full briefing (to be filed under 'OMG') for any keen young Walts out there  ;D

http://www.how2become.co.uk/viewProduct.php?product_name=SAS

From Downing Street to the front line of the war on terror
The Prime Minister travelled to the front line of the "war on terror" to deliver his message that Britain must not waver from its fight against the Taliban.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/3742596/From-Downing-Street-to-the-front-line-of-the-war-on-terror.html

Back