• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

milnews.ca said:
I have nothing against women who meet the same standard getting to wear the same beret/whatever.  I'm wondering, though, how well this short list would do working in a team.  These sorts of sports strike me (and, as usual, I stand to be educated) as hugely competitive, but not so team-building.

Exactly.

They also tend to create a 'pampered prima donna' who caves the minute they can't get their special protein powder drink because they're doing a 20 miler in the mountains in a gale, then digging in, then the stretcher race etc etc

British troops learn what it's like to face Russian forces as they train Ukrainians

British troops sent to train Ukrainian forces fighting battling Russian-backed separatists are also learning from their pupils

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/11799236/British-troops-learn-what-its-like-to-face-Russian-forces-as-they-train-Ukrainians.html

daftandbarmy said:
Exactly.

They also tend to create a 'pampered prima donna' who caves the minute they can't get their special protein powder drink because they're doing a 20 miler in the mountains in a gale, then digging in, then the stretcher race etc etc

No.  You wouldn't want any prima donnas in red berets now, would you?

The first concern was that women wouldn't be able to handle the physical requirements.  I suggest that these women probably could.
The next concern was that women might not be aggressive enough.  I suggest that these women probably are.
Now the concern is that they may not be team players.  Perhaps not.

But

I suggest that it seems probable that there are field hockey and rugby players out there that might meet your requirements.

Kirkhill said:
No.  You wouldn't want any prima donnas in red berets now, would you?

The first concern was that women wouldn't be able to handle the physical requirements.  I suggest that these women probably could.
The next concern was that women might not be aggressive enough.  I suggest that these women probably are.
Now the concern is that they may not be team players.  Perhaps not.

But

I suggest that it seems probable that there are field hockey and rugby players out there that might meet your requirements.

I've talked to guys in the Reg who have seen some women try P Company. Well over 50% of the men who try fail it, and this hasn't changed much over the years.

The main issue, apparently, is that those who have tried were thoroughly unprepared for the full on, high intensity, wake up in a cold sweat screaming nightmare that is P Company. It's a sold 3 week beasting (2 weeks beat up and 1 week testing) that thins people out very quickly, as a result of injuries as much as lack of fitness/ bottle. There's screaming and mud and mountains and milling and it's all very emotional. None of the women who started - and good on them for trying - ever made it past week 2 as far as I have heard. Some people attend various 2 week Pre-courses, but it's not mandatory and, in some cases, can do more harm than good.

The Commando Course, though formidable, is longer and includes a great deal more preparation and 'build up' to the commando tests. You have five weeks (preceded by a three week Pre-All Arms Commando Course) to prepare people for the ordeal. They also allow re-tests on a regular basis. In many ways it's more 'scientific' and mentally easier than P Company, and the higher pass rates indicate that. It's a good course, don't get me wrong, just not nearly as Neanderthal as P Company.

As a result, you get two different types of people out the end of each course, which specifically suit the requirements of the organizations in which they will serve just fine.

daftandbarmy said:
I've talked to guys in the Reg who have seen some women try P Company. Well over 50% of the men who try fail it, and this hasn't changed much over the years.

The main issue, apparently, is that those who have tried were thoroughly unprepared for the full on, high intensity, wake up in a cold sweat screaming nightmare that is P Company. It's a sold 3 week beasting (2 weeks beat up and 1 week testing) that thins people out very quickly, as a result of injuries as much as lack of fitness/ bottle. There's screaming and mud and mountains and milling and it's all very emotional. None of the women who started - and good on them for trying - ever made it past week 2 as far as I have heard. Some people attend various 2 week Pre-courses, but it's not mandatory and, in some cases, can do more harm than good.

The Commando Course, though formidable, is longer and includes a great deal more preparation and 'build up' to the commando tests. You have five weeks (preceded by a three week Pre-All Arms Commando Course) to prepare people for the ordeal. They also allow re-tests on a regular basis. In many ways it's more 'scientific' and mentally easier than P Company, and the higher pass rates indicate that. It's a good course, don't get me wrong, just not nearly as Neanderthal as P Company.

As a result, you get two different types of people out the end of each course, which specifically suit the requirements of the organizations in which they will serve just fine.

Bloggins and Jane Doe Milling.  I can see that turning out real well  ;D

I wonder if the Padre mentioned further back in thread partook in Milling?

RoyalDrew said:
Bloggins and Jane Doe Milling.  I can see that turning out real well  ;D

I wonder if the Padre mentioned further back in thread partook in Milling?

He would have had to pass the milling to pass P Company. I've seen other padres, doctors and dentists do the same.

daftandbarmy said:
He would have had to pass the milling to pass P Company. I've seen other padres, doctors and dentists do the same.

This is what I'm picturing
the-priest-gangs-of-new-york-273571_485_321.jpg

RoyalDrew said:
This is what I'm picturing
the-priest-gangs-of-new-york-273571_485_321.jpg

Oh Pshaw.... mere posturing.

Check this out from about 23.00 onwards. They've gone soft since my days, head protection etc. Nothing like doing a 10 miler immediately after something like this - with a concussion  :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU62iYwpEmg

daftandbarmy said:
Oh Pshaw.... mere posturing.

Check this out from about 23.00 onwards. They've gone soft since my days, head protection etc. Nothing like doing a 10 miler immediately after something like this - with a concussion  :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU62iYwpEmg

I love it! 

Another Astute class SSN getting ready:

Naval Technology

UK Royal Navy’s HMS Artful begins sea trials

The UK Royal Navy's third Astute-class submarine HMS Artful has started its sea trials, marking its maiden voyage after completing construction at BAE Systems shipyard in Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria.

The 97m-long, 7,400t nuclear-powered submarine is expected to join the Royal Navy fleet around the end of this year.

HMS Artful is capable of precisely striking targets approximately 1,200 miles from the coast and the Sonar 2076 system equipped aboard the vessel boasts a processing power of 2,000 laptops, making it one of the most powerful vessels in operation.

Artful has already completed tests of its propulsion and power systems and performed a partial dive in the dock.

The Royal Navy has already commissioned seven Astute-class submarines and the remaining four vessels are currently under construction.

Taliban capture key Helmand district of Musa Qala

Taliban fighters have seized control of a strategically-important district headquarters in Afghanistan's Helmand province despite American air strikes.

Musa Qala, once a key Nato position, is the second town in northern Helmand to fall to the Taliban in recent weeks.

The group also captured Nawzad after intensifying attacks in the region.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34062664

...this piece is a bit more detailed...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/11745318/Afghan-town-bathed-in-British-blood-once-more-at-Talibans-mercy.html

crowbag said:
Taliban capture key Helmand district of Musa Qala

Shitty, helped set up FOB Edinburgh outside Musa Qala after the town was retaken in 2007.

crowbag said:
...this piece is a bit more detailed...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/11745318/Afghan-town-bathed-in-British-blood-once-more-at-Talibans-mercy.html

"On Wednesday, Mullah Omar, their one-eyed leader, backed the imminent negotiations. "Concurrently with armed jihad, political endeavours and peaceful pathways for achieving these sacred goals are a legitimate Islamic principle," he said in a statement."

Thought he was dead. Is there another "one-eyed Mullah Omar"?  ???

:cheers:

FJAG said:
"On Wednesday, Mullah Omar, their one-eyed leader, backed the imminent negotiations. "Concurrently with armed jihad, political endeavours and peaceful pathways for achieving these sacred goals are a legitimate Islamic principle," he said in a statement."

Thought he was dead. Is there another "one-eyed Mullah Omar"?  ???

:cheers:

Good question.  The article is from 17 Jul, and on 30 Jul they made the admission that he had died in a Pakistani hospital back in April, 2013.

AmmoTech90 said:
Shitty, helped set up FOB Edinburgh outside Musa Qala after the town was retaken in 2007.

Ya man - super shitty. Hardly surprising unfortunately...

I was in the area from December - March, spent a few nights in FOB ED myself - including Christmas 2007. 

Guess now its the Taliban smoking opium/sleeping on stag with this view at the District Centre instead of ANA/ANP...

D&B -

No different than what happened in most of the colonies.  Bombers and snipers become our business associates......

220px-Yitzhak_Shamir_Official_portrait.png

220px-Menachem_Begin_Official_portrait.png

220px-Jomo_Kenyatta_1978.jpg

crowbag said:
Ya man - super shitty. Hardly surprising unfortunately...

I was in the area from December - March, spent a few nights in FOB ED myself - including Christmas 2007. 

Guess now its the Taliban smoking opium/sleeping on stag with this view at the District Centre instead of ANA/ANP...

Cheers from Herrick 7!  Can't see your pic, this is where it was when we set up the ammo store.

Back