• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bowe Bergdahl: Missing in AFG 2009, Released 2014, Tried 2015

Seems like a giant admission of guilt. If he wasn't guilty, he wouldn't need clemency.

A "millennial" who probably thinks that he has done no wrong, grasping at all straws in order to avoid punishment for his errors in judgement. 

George Wallace said:
A "millennial" who probably thinks that he has done no wrong, grasping at all straws in order to avoid punishment for his errors in judgement.

You seem to forget that 5 "milennials" died trying to rescue of this POS. "Milennials" were also a vast majority of pers who have served honourably in Afghanistan and Iraq.

His actions (pre capture to today) reflect his own questionable values and ethics, not that of an entire generation.

rmc_wannabe said:
You seem to forget that 5 "milennials" died trying to rescue of this POS. "Milennials" were also a vast majority of pers who have served honourably in Afghanistan and Iraq.

This is why, THIS "Millennial" should be held accountable for his poor judgement and actions.  He is one of many who give all millennials the bad reputations that they are getting.  To generalize, they are the "target d'jour".

rmc_wannabe said:
His actions (pre capture to today) reflect his own questionable values and ethics, not that of an entire generation.

As I said: "A millennial".  Perhaps that should have been emphasized more. 

It is not like every generation has been all of one "conservative" mind.  There have been protest elements within every generation.  It just seems that, as we look at the current crop of millennials, that protest element is larger than the more conservative element of their generation.  We will see the same discussions with the next generation when the time comes.

Then more conservatives will be buying this mug:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/85928/post-1466789.html#msg1466789

[;)

George Wallace said:
As I said: "A millennial".  Perhaps that should have been emphasized more.

As I said: "A white man".

As I said: "A heterosexual".

As I said: "A(n) NCO".

As I said: "A (any other irrelevant descriptor)".

No amount of emphasis helps an apparent, if unintended, derogatory generalization.

The "protest element" may seem larger now, but enough of those will grow up and wake up eventually, as will enough of the middle-ground ones.

Enough of the Flower Power generation did, even though their "protest element" seemed pretty large back then.

And there's a whole batch of Millennials who are of high enough quality already.

Loachman said:
As I said: "A white man".

As I said: "A heterosexual".

As I said: "A(n) NCO".

As I said: "A (any other irrelevant descriptor)".

No amount of emphasis helps an apparent, if unintended, derogatory generalization.

The "protest element" may seem larger now, but enough of those will grow up and wake up eventually, as will enough of the middle-ground ones.

Enough of the Flower Power generation did, even though their "protest element" seemed pretty large back then.

And there's a whole batch of Millennials who are of high enough quality already.

:o
What does that mean exactly ? Bergdahl left his unit which is considered desertion in the US Army. Then he was either captured or he willingly joined the taliban. Had he not abandoned his post this wouldnt be an issue. Bergdahl made a bad decision ,but he survived either because he aided the taliban or was just plain lucky. Now he wants a pardon.Its worth a try I suppose and he might get it.But his days in the Army should be over IMO.

tomahawk6 said:
:o
What does that mean exactly ? Bergdahl left his unit which is considered desertion in the US Army. Then he was either captured or he willingly joined the taliban. Had he not abandoned his post this wouldnt be an issue. Bergdahl made a bad decision ,but he survived either because he aided the taliban or was just plain lucky. Now he wants a pardon.Its worth a try I suppose and he might get it.But his days in the Army should be over IMO.

I'll step in to defend Loachman here. He wasn't talking about Mr Bergdahl; he was talking about the tendency to tar and feather a whole generation (the Millenials in this case, although I suspect Mr Bergdahl is more of a "Gen Xer" than a Millennial) for the actions of one person.

I applaud Mr Bergdahl's attorney for pursuing his clients interests in every way possible ... but I hope President Obama ignore that particular plea and lets justice take its course.

I could only dream of the thought of "Mad Dog" being allowed to get his teeth into him once he was confirmed and sworn as Sec Def.

jollyjacktar said:
I could only dream of the thought of "Mad Dog" being allowed to get his teeth into him once he was confirmed and sworn as Sec Def.
Or maybe he'll just let the justice system sort it all out?

I'm sure he would.  But I'm also sure, Mad Dogs punishment would be more satisfying to me if it could be...

milnews.ca said:
The latest ...
U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the former prisoner of war who's accused of endangering comrades by walking off his post in Afghanistan, is asking President Barack Obama to pardon him before leaving office ...
no-pardon-for-jbeeqc.jpg
President Barack Obama has granted 78 people pre-Christmas pardons, more than doubling the amount allowed during his eight-year tenure. But accused Army deserter Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was not among them.

The White House announced the pardons Monday afternoon alongside Obama’s decision to commute the sentences of 153 other individuals. White House Counsel Neil Eggleston left the door open for additional pardons in Obama’s remaining month in office, perhaps leaving hope for Bergdahl that the president will grant his pardon petition that would spare him a court-martial in April on charges of desertion and misbehavior before the enemy.

“The president continues to review clemency applications on an individualized basis to determine whether a particular applicant has demonstrated a readiness to make use of his or her second chance, and I expect that the president will issue more grants of both commutations and pardons before he leaves office,” Eggleston wrote Monday in the statement ...
Source

Bump with a titch of new info ...
The military judge overseeing Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's case says prosecutors can try the soldier on a rare charge alleging he endangered comrades by walking off his post in Afghanistan in 2009.

The judge, Col. Jeffery Nance, rejected a defense motion on Thursday to dismiss the charge of misbehavior before the enemy, which carries up to a life sentence.

Bergdahl also faces a desertion charge, punishable by up to 5 years, at trial in October ...

I dont think they will have any trouble getting a conviction on misbehavior before the enemy.At some point if offered a plea deal he should take it.Misbehavior carries a life sentence vs desertion 5 years. If they could prove he helped the taliban he would spend alot of time in Leavenworth. I am not saying a life sentence but certainly 10-15.

tomahawk6 said:
I dont think they will have any trouble getting a conviction on misbehavior before the enemy.At some point if offered a plea deal he should take it.Misbehavior carries a life sentence vs desertion 5 years. If they could prove he helped the taliban he would spend alot of time in Leavenworth. I am not saying a life sentence but certainly 10-15.
Somehow, if he's gone this far, anything's possible, but I don't think he's thinking plea bargain if he hasn't gone for it yet.  Oh well ...

I'd just as soon shoot him. Forget the desertion and all the other stuff. The fact that he walked out, leaving his team in danger and getting people killed is enough to jump him right to the top for a quick death, or life without parole. Just my  :2c:

The latest ...
A military judge ruled Wednesday that prosecutors trying Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl don't have to turn over more information about conversations one of them had with the Trump administration about the case.

Prosecutors have acknowledged that one of them spoke to a lawyer for the National Security Council earlier this year about defense efforts to derail the case over President Donald Trump's harsh criticism of Bergdahl on the campaign trail. But they said the White House has given them no directions on how to prosecute Bergdahl.

Defense lawyers have argued that Trump's criticism prevented Bergdahl from getting a fair trial on charges that he endangered other service members by walking off his post in Afghanistan in 2009. But in February, the judge ruled that Trump's comments didn't constitute unlawful command influence.

The judge, Army Col. Jeffery R. Nance, said Wednesday that further information about conversations between lawyers well after Trump's comments wouldn't change the court's conclusion that the criticism won't sway the case.

"The point is: Why does it matter what he said to whoever it was at the National Security Council?" Nance said ...
More @ link

Back