• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Beret badge now wearing on side?

now I don't feel so bad for not having mine proper all the time.  No more self inflicted lashings!!

signalsguy said:
This seems to be a 5 Bde thing....

Most of the ones I have seen have been Combat Arms Officers.  I always bug my brother when I see his that way.

This has been discussed before somewhere on the forums here; Menard was posted an exchange officer with the British Army, that is where he picked up the beret style. Not saying it's OK, but that's the origin; and he did like to "stand out".

As for the RSM at the time, I know him and I have no doubt he did everything he was expected to do; if the Gen decides to ignore the advice, he's on his own...
That lesson goes for all Officers from Platoon Comd on up: pay attention to your WO/Sgt-Maj's advice.

Jungle said:
That lesson goes for all Officers from Platoon Comd on up: pay attention to your WO/Sgt-Maj's advice.

More important: Build a relationship of trust and respect with your WO/Sgt-Maj, so there is open and frank communication.

Hammer Sandwich said:
Oh, c'mon folks....he had a lot of other things on his mind......

(Maybe the "sideways badge"  is like the "detergent on the windowsill")
;D

right you now owe my employer a new keyboard and a monitor and me a new coffee. 8)

Gen. Vance does that on the side thing too. The reason Brits do it, and they don't all do it either, is they like to form their berets so they look like "flat caps".

Pencil Tech said:
Gen. Vance does that on the side thing too.

Oh you meant the capbadge placment beret thing......

nevermind then  8)

The 'flat cap' look has traditionally been a Parachute Regt thing, with supporting units (9 Para Sqn RE, 7 RHA et al) copying them.

Basically Menard is a para groupie.

http://www.afghanistan.gc.ca/canada-afghanistan/stories-reportages/2011_01_28.aspx?lang=eng

And where did this MGen learn to wear his beret? ???  Soon to be Comd CEFCOM. 

Same issue - Current Comd CEF COM - see here: http://www.nato.int/isaf/media/photo/2008/080420a/pages/080420a.html

Edit: Grammar only.

See, it's bad examples like this that caused the US Army to scrap the beret and go back to the ball cap. :nana:

cupper said:
See, it's bad examples like this that caused the US Army to scrap the beret and go back to the ball cap. :nana:

I'm pretty sure it's the fact that they used the same amount of wool in a beret as a fire blanket that caused them to scrap it  ;D

cupper said:

Except they still wear the beret as well. :S

What do you malcontents believe to be the "proper" beret look?  Apart from cap badge placement - do you think a trench is required?  I personally think the trench and/or forward leaning capbadge (like in ST second example) is silly looking.  I prefer the smaller, rearward swept beret with a slight preponderance towards the badge being past the eye and towards the ear (a la Gen Menard).  A CWO would have a hard time explaining to me the finer points of how to wear a beret when the 265 doesn't provide 100% guidance.

Yea the US Army is retaining the beret, but instead of everyday wear it's only for wear with dress uniform or a parade in ACUs.

Zoomie said:
What do you malcontents believe to be the "proper" beret look?

Undersized, shrunk, and trimmed to the size of a dwarf's yarmulke, perched delicately over the left eye-brow.

Apart from cap badge placement - do you think a trench is required?

On a marginally more serious note, in my opinion, what a silly style... I've seen people with such deep "trenches" their beret sticks out an inch or more on the left side...

Zoomie said:
A CWO would have a hard time explaining to me the finer points of how to wear a beret when the 265 doesn't provide 100% guidance.
You mean this does not say it all?
Beret. The beret shall be worn evenly on
the head, with the sweatband 2.5 cm (1 in.)
above the eyebrows, the badge centred
over the left eye, and the crown pulled
downward to the right. The break of the
sweatband shall be worn centred at the
back of the head, with no draw string
visible.
... even with the stunning graphic to clarify things?

Zoomie said:
A CWO would have a hard time explaining to me the finer points of how to wear a beret when the 265 doesn't provide 100% guidance.

No he wouldn't. He'd tell you and your Niner would back him. In any unit I've been, CWOs carry a lot of weight.

MCG said:
You mean this does not say it all?... even with the stunning graphic to clarify things?

Berets are sized for head size, not eye separation spacing. A beret may be spaced with the cap badge above the left eye, or the break in the sweat band center in the rear, or possibly, but less likely both in exactitude.

If the physical dimensions of one's head and eyeballs dictate that the sweatband break cannot be in the exact rear of the head simultaneous with the capbadge immediately above the left eye, and neither is stated to take precedence, some ambiguity exists. I'm not quibbling, simply stating that such is the case.

Anyone not wearing a Balmorral is a lesser man anyway.

Brihard said:
Berets are sized for head size, not eye separation spacing. A beret may be spaced with the cap badge above the left eye, or the break in the sweat band center in the rear, or possibly, but less likely both in exactitude.

If the physical dimensions of one's head and eyeballs dictate that the sweatband break cannot be in the exact rear of the head simultaneous with the capbadge immediately above the left eye, and neither is stated to take precedence, some ambiguity exists. I'm not quibbling, simply stating that such is the case.

Anyone not wearing a Balmorral is a lesser man anyway.

And I agree with your premise about the beret....one size/style does not fit all and some people just look goofy in them, no matter what you do or tell them.

Now....about the Balmoral....... >:D

Jim Seggie said:
And I agree with your premise about the beret....one size/style does not fit all and some people just look goofy in them, no matter what you do or tell them.

Now....about the Balmoral....... >:D

I'm holding my ground and calling FPF on this one til Haggis shows up.  ;D

Back