• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

basic officer training camp

snyper21

Inactive
Reaction score
I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I've searched many threads about this topic and havn't found anything. Anyways my question is, once basic training is complete, does it have a significant impact on the persons life? In other words.. does bootcamp actually change someone for better (or worse)? For example, does if make someone a more confident person, tougher, more tolerant... etc. Considering it's for quite a long time (13 weeks) I wouldn't be surprised if it has an impact on ones life afterwards. Thanks alot.

Snyper

snyper21 said:
I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I've searched many threads about this topic and havn't found anything. Anyways my question is, once basic training is complete, does it have a significant impact on the persons life? In other words.. does bootcamp actually change someone for better (or worse)? For example, does if make someone a more confident person, tougher, more tolerant... etc. Considering it's for quite a long time (13 weeks) I wouldn't be surprised if it has an impact on ones life afterwards. Thanks alot.

Snyper

Perhaps it is time for you to come clean with us.  How old are you?  Where exactly are you in the Recruiting Process?  What level of education have you received to date?  Do you still live with your parents?  So far, your maturity level has not reflected the goals you are inquiring about.

That seems a little bit harsh... From checking his other posts, he's 21, has a year and a half left in his economics degree at Concordia (not a shabby school at all), is active in a number of sports, volunteers, and wants to be a pilot. It's not on his profile, but he's not tried to hide himself or his background.

Snyper- It's probably safe to say that any lengthy military training will have some effect on one as a person. I don't think it does much to change one's personality, but it can often bring out different aspects of it and perhaps affect how they manifest. Everything about you will probably be coloured by a greater degree of personal motivation and discipline. You'll probably go well past what you perceived as your limits in many ways, and find yourself more confident about yourself. In officer training you'll learn how to be a leader. You'll be toughened in ways you've not considered; a greater tolerance towards the trivial aggravations of dailt life. A greater tolerance towards other peoples' weaknesses. A great acknowledgement of your own.

I've not known anyone to come out of basic a worse person. Some don't come out of it that much difference. Most are at least to some degree 'better'.

In future, questions like this are best for the 'recruiting' forum.

Brihard said:
In officer training you'll learn how to be a leader.

I would agree but reword this to:

In Basic Officer Training, you will learn the basics of what is required of a leader, put those basics into practice and start developing as a leader, which is a life-long learning event.

IMO.

Eye In The Sky said:

In Basic Officer Training, you will learn the basics of what is required of a leader, put those basics into practice and start developing as a leader, which is a life-long learning event.

IMO.

Either way, they do not make you a Leader.

George Wallace said:
Either way, they do not make you a Leader.

Agreed.  Its the start of a process...and not everyone that successfully navigates the Leadership trng on the Officer or NCO side become great/good/effective leaders.

Eye In The Sky said:

IMO.

You're right. I should have expanded on that a bit more.

From my experiences, your basic and CAP teach you how to be a good follower.  You're only in the breach a small fraction of the time.  The rest of your time is spent helping your fellow candidates.  On these courses you learn what leaders need to get the job done so that when you're qualified, you know what to expect from your team.

Celticgirl said:
Boot camp?  :P

Good point. So, for clarification purposes intended for the original thread starter (who obviously has their thread title wrong ...):

BOTC = Basic Officer Training Course

ArmyVern said:
Do you mean Band camp? Or Army camp?

Camp....as in the camps i went to as a kid. You know, boats, woods, fires, singalongs......

CDN Aviator said:
Camp....as in the camps i went to as a kid. You know, botas, woods, fires, singalongs......

Oh seen. Camps that you had fun at.

No, it's NOT. At this camp, only adults are allowed.

Celticgirl said:
No singalongs?  :-[

Left - right - left - right - left - right - left

It's such a simple song to learn. And, learn it well they will.  ;)

This is an adult ONLY camp? Well.. Well where the hell is the Blue Light Special afte 10? And the poles? Damn it! Jipped again!

Back