• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australia issues travel warning against Canada

Mike Baker

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score

Updated Fri. Jan. 25 2008 9:23 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A website run by the Australian government lists Canada as a country where travellers need to be cautious about terrorism, dangerous winter driving and cold weather conditions.

The 'Smart Traveller' website, run by Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, lists Chile, South Korea and Latvia as countries safer than Canada.

Overall, Canada is listed in the second safest category (out of five categories) on the website -- the 'Exercise caution' section. Out of the G8 nations, the U.S., U.K, France, Germany and Italy also are listed in the 'Exercise caution' category.

"We advise you to exercise caution and monitor developments that might affect your safety in Canada because of the risk of terrorist attack," says the travel advisory.

"Pay close attention to your personal security and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks."

The website says "heavy snowfalls and ice in the winter" can also make driving dangerous.

"The wind-chill factor can also create dangerously cold outdoor conditions," says the warning.

B.C. and Alberta are both listed as being subject to avalanches. B.C. is also listed as "an active earthquake zone."

Meanwhile, travellers heading to Canada between May and September are also told to look out for tornadoes in some areas.

The website further warns about bush and forest fires which "can occur any time in Canada."

The advisory says crime in Canada is comparable to that in Australia, with petty crime such as pick pocketing and street theft occurring at tourist destinations and hotels.

Japan has the safest ranking of the G8 nations, falling into the first category, 'Be alert to own security.' Russia is listed as the most dangerous of the G8 countries, ranking in the third category -- 'High degree of caution.'

On the website for Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, there is no official warning for Australia. However, travellers are advised to watch out for pickpockets and to avoid demonstrations because they could "turn violent."

There are also warnings for backpackers about attacks and travellers are advised not to accept food and drinks from strangers at bars.

So ?

I think that the headline is deliberatly inflamatory.......... ::)

Yah think someone went to a lot of trouble to find nasty things about Canada? Some of the stuff really stretches credibility....

GAP said:
Yah think someone went to a lot of trouble to find nasty things about Canada? Some of the stuff really stretches credibility....
Very much so. Look at some of the potential disasters that can hit in Japan, Chile, and the others that done better then Canada.

::)

Maybe Hale didn't have a good time in Petawawa when he was here on exchange and is
doing some extra circular writing  ;D ;D ;)

Why didn't they list N.B. as an active earthquake zone?  Maybe the quakes we had back in 1982 are not recent enough.... ;)

PMedMoe said:
Maybe the quakes we had back in 1982 are not recent enough.... ;)

Can't be that... they seem to think the FLQ are still blowing up mailboxes!

So I read that expecting to see some reasons that I didn't expect, but nope. Basically a long list of things that might possibly go wrong in Canada year round. I think they should have specified the winter conditions are only applicable during certain seasons, like they did for tornadoes.

dwalter said:
I think they should have specified the winter conditions are only applicable during certain seasons, like they did for tornadoes.

Oh, come on!  Everybody knows we have snow year round.......if you drive far enough north!!  ;D

PMedMoe said:
Oh, come on!  Everybody knows we have snow year round.......if you drive far enough north!!  ;D

and not all that far north either!!

Hey; what about those of us that live in igloo's???? Year round no less..... >:D

Yeah  nice to know that I live in such a dangerous nation  .  Thanks for the heads up Australia  ::)  Isn't Australia like home to the 10 most deadliest snakes ?

Slow News Day.

Their website looks pretty much the same as I imagine the Government of Canada website for Travel Advisories to Australia must look like.

Earlier this month an Australian skier Leigh Barnier was killed by an avalanche at the Big White ski resort near Kelowna, B.C.

So this may be behind their warnings.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/advice_meaning.html
How do you grade your advisories?
There are five different levels of advice. The level we give a country reflects our overall assessment of the security situation in the destination and is designed to help you assess the level of risk you would face in that country.

In determining the level of a destination we consider the security risks and compare these to the general security threats in a large Australian city. We also take into account the capacity of a foreign government to deal with the risks. We don't employ strict formulas. At times our advice may not fit exactly within one of the levels - in such cases we will use language that is best suited to a specific situation and provides the most practical advice.

The five levels are as follows:

Be alert to your own security
Exercise caution and monitor developments that might affect your safety
Exercise a high degree of caution
Reconsider your need to travel
Advised not to travel

There is a "graphic table" which we call a continuum at the top of each travel advice to help you quickly establish the relative level of each destination. In some advisories, there is more than one continuum because while the overall country is at a certain level, different regions within the country are assessed to be at higher or lower levels.

What would a comparison between Canada (exercise caution level) and Chile (be alert level) look like?

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Canada
Terrorism - We advise you to exercise caution and monitor developments that might affect your safety in Canada because of the risk of terrorist attack.

Crime - The crime rate in Canada is similar to that in Australia.

Local Travel - Heavy snowfalls and ice in the winter can make driving dangerous. The wind-chill factor can also create dangerously cold outdoor conditions.  The wind-chill factor can also create dangerously cold outdoor conditions.

Natural Disasters, Severe Weather and Climate - The province of British Columbia in western Canada is in an active earthquake zone.
Alberta and British Columbia are also subject to avalanches.
Tornadoes can occur in some areas of Canada between May and September.
Bush and forest fires can occur any time in Canada.
All oceanic regions of the world can experience tsunamis, but in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, there is a more frequent occurrence of large, destructive tsunamis because of the many large earthquakes

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Chile
Terrorism - Terrorism is a threat throughout the world.

Civil Unrest/Political Tension - Large demonstrations and protests occur occasionally. You should avoid all demonstrations and protests as they may turn violent. ...

Crime - Muggings and robberies are common in urban areas, especially at night. People walking alone are often targeted. Daylight muggings have been reported in the Cerro San Cristobal Park and in and around the Plaza de Armas in the capital, Santiago. Petty crime including pickpocketing and bag snatching is increasingly common in crowded areas, such as on public transport and outdoor cafes and markets, and in resort areas.
Foreigners have been robbed after accepting 'spiked' drinks in bars and places of entertainment.

Local Travel - Anti-tank mines and landmines are a danger in remote sections of several popular national reserves and parks near northern borders, including Lauca and Llullaillaco National Parks, Salar de Surire National Monument, and Los Flamencos National Reserve. There are also unexploded munitions outside of military zones in the desert areas bordering Chile and Peru. You should seek advice from local authorities before travelling to these areas and observe all warning signs and follow clearly identified roads. There are also clearly marked landmine fields in the Magallanes region of southern Chile, between Punta Arenas and the Torres del Paine National Park, and on Tierra del Fuego.
Driving in Chile can be dangerous due to aggressive driving practices. Secondary and rural roads are often poorly maintained and lack sufficient street lighting. Roads in mountainous areas often lack guardrails. Chains are often required on mountain roads during the winter.

Natural Disasters, Severe Weather and Climate - Chile is in an active earthquake and volcano region. Volcano Llaima in the Conguillo National Park in southern Chile erupted on 1 January 2008. Tourists have been evacuated from the area.
All oceanic regions of the world can experience tsunamis, but in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, there is a more frequent occurrence of large, destructive tsunamis because of the many large earthquakes ...
During the autumn and winter seasons, flooding can occur with little warning throughout the country. Services and transport are often affected.

The major difference that jumps out at me is in Canada you watch out for icy, snowy and cold roads and in Chile you watch for muggers, landmines and crazy drivers.

What do we say about Australia? http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=17000

Better than that, what about a comparison between Canada and Australia:

When was the last time you saw a Salt Water Croc meander up the St. Lawrence, or any of the myriad poisonous spiders and snakes that wander backyards, or baby-stealing dingos, or running out of gas in the middle of a desert or getting stung by a sting-ray or eaten by a Great White while scuba diving?

It must be nice to live in a reality like Australia.  Guess that is why it is so far away.    ::)

In 1997, I was in Intensive Care for 24 hrs do to a spider bite. Then 4 days in hospital, followed by 7 days bedrest at home. It took me a while to get back to normal.

This happened in Bandiana, Victoria.

Creepy crawlies are just a way of life here...

Cheers,

Wes

Damn, Trinity got me, the website is mine, I hate you guys...  :P
Haha, seriously though, its a pretty dodgy thing to say somewhere is dangerous because it snows there. "Look out for ice that is a result of cold weather and water" seems pretty daft to me.
Anyway, i have to go, i've got a rogue water buffalo out back stealing babies so my croc, Brutus, and i are going to go take him out.

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion (to say the least).

If you are a citizen of a generally tropical country, snow, cold, and ice - and the dangers associated with them, will be an exotic and unprepared for danger.

If you're a citizen of Canada, the concept of deadly creepie crawlies (snakes, spiders, whatever) will be, generally, an exotic and unprepared for danger.

If you're a citizen of WHEREVER, reliant upon what makes the international news about a distant and unknown place - the fact that murders take place there concerns you - it probably shouldn't - the human race being pretty much equally murderous wherever it is found, after all - but because it's an UNKNOWN place, it concerns you.

The government of Australia, quite properly, has attempted to inform its' citizens regarding travel to Canada - what's wrong with that?

Back