• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attack Helicopters

GENOMS Soilder

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on having attack helicopters (aka gunships) in the CF.
Helicopters like the AH-64D Apache Longbow, or the big beast Mil-24 Hind, or the Tigers.
Just wondering.
Also, how effective, if they really are, are the Griffons in combat?

You seem to be forgetting that we dropped the Armed portion from the CF so i think getting those would be a pipe dream.

but we all have dreams

Hey the Aussies can buy Tigers, why can't we? The Dutch have Apache's for god's sake! As an infanteer you bet I would love gunship support, especialy when there is enemy armour out and about...

I think the best fit for our needs would be the new SuperCobra, AH-1Z... it's made by Bell so it could even be built in Canada!

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/supcobra/

Again mike i would love to see them but i just don't see how we could get them.  They would be a great assest especially if we lose our armour element

I can see it now "JOIN THE CANADIAN FORCES AND SEE OUR ATTACK HELICOPTER" ;D

notice the lack of a plural.

ahh the liberal party making the CF a daily challenge.

I know, I know, too "agressive"  :threat: Canadians don't kill people right?  ::)

Well I'm in CIMIC, maybe we could figure out a way to distribute blankets and teddy-bears from them... lol  ;D

While I can understand that the idea of an attack type chopper might be an asset I really can't see the arguement ever being strong enough to convince the government that it would be a viable purchase.  I just don't think that the Canadian public would support the push for anything with the word attack in it.  Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous but that is what it would take to get the government to ever even consider it, in my opinion.  *crosses fingers*  Maybe i am wrong though, like I said they would be an asset but..............

That's why you call them "armed reconnaissance helicopters" and hope no one clues in... we all love ISTAR right??

Well seeing as the current feeling in the Government and NDHQ that Tanks are dinosaurs and obsolete, it would make sense that the "New" Army that they want to restructure to should have Attack Helicopters in their new "Rapid" "Mobile" Force.  The Attack Helicopter is a great tool and very mobile.  Newer Choppers can fly in most weather conditions (not all) and technology makes them efficient "Killing Machines" or in our case very mobile and efficient "Surveillance Platforms".

GW

Yea that might fly what would we call the new destroyers? boats with tubes that might be guns?

Mike_R23A said:
That's why you call them "armed reconnaissance helicopters" and hope no one clues in... we all love ISTAR right??

Now you're talking.   "A rose but any other name..."   ;)   Interestingly, the Aussie's Eurocopter Tiger is not an "AH", but an "ARH".   "Armed" is much more acceptable socially than "attack."

There is a doctrinal requirement for aviation to be capable of providing precision firepower as part of networked fires...I understand that this requirement will be made shortly to the air force, although I don't know how it will be prioritized with other capabilities that the Army wants of its dedicated aviation.

Armageddon said:
 I just don't think that the Canadian public would support the push for anything with the word attack in it.  

Maybe we could call it a defense helicopter...? Or offer to buy the version with rubber missles and guns...?

F#cking Liberals...they didn't get my vote!

Or we could just flaunt the helicopters excellent ability for providing aid to suffering children and how it could be used to transport equipment (and missiles).

Or,....those long tubes?.........well for firing T-shirts into the crowd obviously.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Or,....those long tubes?.........well for firing T-shirts into the crowd obviously.

Bin Laden T shirts...or, perhaps. Che Guevera...

We are short on pilots now, what AC are we going to get rid of to free-up pilots to fly these pipe dreams?

Forlorn Hope said:
We are short on pilots now, what AC are we going to get rid of to free-up pilots to fly these pipe dreams?

We are short, but not nearly as bad as a few years ago. When I went through Basic Helicopter School a year ago, the TacHel Sqns were nearing full manning, I can't say for certain what their current status is but I do know there was some haggling with the Career Manager in order to get extra TacHel slots for guys on my course. We're still a little undermanned in the MH community but I don't think that will last long once the new helos are within arm's reach. As for retention of trained pilots, I know of more than a few guys that would stick around if we got AH's. I don't think retention would be a big concern nor would recruiting.

Forlorn Hope said:

The U.S. uses Warrant Officers as helo pilots and they are quite successfull at it from the few that I've met and worked with...

Start a program where (non-university) Guys are recruited, trained and given their wings. they would hold the rank of technical Warrant Officer...

Back