• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applications to join foreign forces (Britian and Australia)

Yes I was applying as an NCM so that's probably the difference in applications.

A couple of questions for you Pieman. First, how long did it take for your information package and application form to arrive when you requested it? It's been a month since I asked for an application and I still haven't seen anything. Second, how long do you have from the time you apply to the time you can go over there for the tests and interviews? Is there a time limit? I think you might have already mentioned that, but if you could tell us again it'd be appreciated.

Thanks.

First, how long did it take for your information package and application form to arrive when you requested it? 
I don't recall, it was about 2-3 weeks before I got it in the mail. Things can sometimes take 6 weeks in the mail coming from overseas. But you may want to call/email and confirm if you application has been mailed off.

Second, how long do you have from the time you apply to the time you can go over there for the tests and interviews? Is there a time limit?

I applied back in April and got the invitation for the first interview for this October. 7 months. However, I hit a snag on my medical clearance as they requested more information. If there are no snags, the medical is supposed to take 3 weeks, mine took about 7 weeks as I had to track down the extra info and mailing/processing times etc. So I think 6 months is a pretty good estimate in time before you go over.

I don't know about time limits, the only big time limit (Officers only) is that you have to be under 28 years old when you first apply. The maximum age an Officer can start training is 29. The age restrictions are different for NCM.

Eitherway, don't take anything I write here as gold, things change constantly in these situations. So use it as a basic guideline.

Pieman, a few more questions if you don't mind...

What exactly does the package they send over contain?  Are the application requirements similar to the CF (ie. Birth Certificates, References, Visual exams etc.), I wouldn't mind knowing so that I can have some things prepared before the package arrives in the mail.

I read on the FAQ list on the British Army website that Commonwaelth citizens (ie non-British) may not be eligible for certain positions...did they tell you this through the application process and did they indicate which positions were not available to Comm. citizens?

I'm assumning they also do a security background check?  Is it similar to the CF checks, and does it take as long as it does with the CF (Something to consider in terms of timing things out properly.  It seems from the posts on this website that the CF or CSIS or whoever is notoriously slow with the Securtiy Clearances).

When I initially enquired about joining they told me to email them my name, address, D.O.B and Nationality and they would send me a package.  Is this the way you did it as well? (I just want to make sure I get this thing in the mail and am not waiting around forever.)

Whats a PM? (Private Message...)

Cheers.

Hi ReadyAyeReady,

A PM is a Private message, you can send one by clicking 'Hey, ReadyAyeReady, you have X messages...' and that will take you the message inbox.

What exactly does the package they send over contain?   Are the application requirements similar to the CF (ie. Birth Certificates, References, Visual exams etc.), I wouldn't mind knowing so that I can have some things prepared before the package arrives in the mail.

The package I got had a brochure and some forms. The forms are very similar to the CF application forms and want your personal, educational info, work experience etc. There is also a medical questionnaire. They need photo copies of your birth certificate, all your educational transcripts. Be sure to photocopy and send everything they ask for, otherwise you will hold up your file. They did not ask me for references until much later after my interview dates were confirmed. The medical questionnaire is straight forward and has a whole bunch of questions on your history. If you wear glasses like I do, you have to go to the eye doctor and have him check your eyes and write down your current vision, and you include that with your medical questionnaire.

I read on the FAQ list on the British Army website that Commonwealth citizens (ie non-British) may not be eligible for certain positions...did they tell you this through the application process and did they indicate which positions were not available to Comm. citizens?

This is true for certain Officer positions, but I don't have a full understanding of this topic.   The British Army is a lot less restrictive about this issue than the Royal Air Force, and British Navy. It is the main reason I am going British Army instead of RAF. In the RAF or the Navy, they are quite restrictive about the positions commonwealth citizens can take for the Officer role. It seems one cannot get in an aircraft in the RAF doing anything, and one is very restricted from Officer positions in the Navy. Check their webpages for full details.

In the British Army, the restrictions are much less for Officers and Commonwealth appear to be able to take on almost any role. To be honest, I have not run across any information saying that Commonwealth citizens cannot take position X in the BA, but I am sure there may be a few. You will have to ask the British recruiters this one. If you are considering a role in Intelligence, I would certainly ask, as in the Army this may be one of the restricted ones, but I don't know for sure.

I'm assuming they also do a security background check?   Is it similar to the CF checks, and does it take as long as it does with the CF (Something to consider in terms of timing things out properly.   It seems from the posts on this website that the CF or CSIS or whoever is notoriously slow with the Securtiy Clearances).
You will get the security clearance form after you set up interview dates etc. I just did that a couple weeks ago myself. I don't know anything about how their clearance works, but they say that I should have no problems getting into training by May, so   I assume the security clearance should be done by then. This is a topic that I don't have good info on either, so if you ask about it I find more info on it, then please post info here.

When I initially enquired about joining they told me to email them my name, address, D.O.B and Nationality and they would send me a package.   Is this the way you did it as well? (I just want to make sure I get this thing in the mail and am not waiting around forever.)
Yup, that's how I did it. If you did it by email they should respond and say they sent it. If you did not get an email like that after a week or so I would try to contact them again to make sure.

Thanks for all the info Pieman..that will give me a chance to prepare myself a bit better for whats coming in the mail.

I'm not too sure either about what trades/occupations are closed to non-Brits...but I'm guessing Int might be in there as well as some of those more prestigious units like the Life Guards, Household Cavalry and those other regiments that guard Buck House and bup around on horses and what not.  That's my guess anyway...

I'll be sure to send you a PM as I am sure we can learn alot from each other...

Hey Pieman and anyone else who can help,

I've already hit my first hurdle here on applying to the British Forces.  The office I contacted for info on joining is called the Overseas Recuriting Cell...well they sent me a great info package but its all the wrong stuff!  The letter stated that "A career as an Officer is not available through this department."  Basically, they only deal with recruiting soldiers...not officers.  So they sent me all this info on joining as a soldier.  Aside from the fact that I'm annoyed that they didn't just tell me when I initially emailed as I clearly stated that I was interested in a career as an Officer, my question is who the hell do I contact to get all the info I need...namely the application package for Officers?

Hmmm that is strange, but mistakes can happen. My file is being processed in an office/branch of their recruiting system that is specific for overseas officer recruiting it is possible you were forwarded to the wrong one by mistake. Sending a PM.....

Just thought I'd contribute my experiences with the UK bureaucracy.

I'm in the process of applying to the RAF as an officer but from what I can tell it's somewhat different since I'm still a serving member of the CF. My most recent correspondence with the recruiting office informed me that my time in the CF would not give me any advanced standing or pension buy-back which is a bit unfortunate but not catastrophic. They also requested copies of my most recent PDRs and my transcript from University.

From what I can gather I can waive a large portion of the recruiting process since I already possess a Top Secret clearance and won't have to bother having a background check done due to this. If everything goes well from this point, I was informed that I would be invited out to a 3-day "mini-selection" in Lincolnshire at the RAF College (the real name eludes me at this moment) at the end of which I'll be informed if they want to take me on or not. I think the biggest hurdle at that point would be getting out of my current contract with the CF. I'm currently on my IE so at the most it would take 6 months but I hope the RAF would be willing to accommodate this little "issue".

Anyway, I'll keep this thread updated as things go just in case anyone else has an interest in this process. Wish me luck.

I have hada similar problem readyeyeready. I asked information on joining the TA and univeristy sponsorship for commonwealth students. They sent me a package for recruiting soldiers. I was disapointed so i contacted them again, and recieved an apology.

She told me she recieves 400 emails a day, so i cant understand srew ups.

I also found info on the net that they are considering forming a commonwealth regiment since they recieve so many applicants

I also found info on the net that they are considering forming a commonwealth regiment since they recieve so many applicants
Interesting. Where did you see this info?

The Commonwealth Regiment rumour has been around for years.  It has never made it out of the Mess as far as I know.  Some Units have a high percentage of their members from different areas of the Commonwealth.  Fijians are prevalent in some Regiments, such as the Irish Guards.

As was mentioned in another one of the forums here, this has been a rumour for as long as I've served (22 years).  As I have mentioned before, pick up a copy of "Soldier" magazine.  I have found it in better magazine shops in Canada.  A lot of rumours get dispelled there and it is amazing the amount of information you can gather.  I have even noticed that they will send you a free copy from the URL below.

cheers!

http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/

A few people might want the Royal Marine URL for the new web site, as opposed to the main web site shared with the Royal Navy.  The independent URL is http://www.royalmarinesregimental.co.uk/index.shtml  I hope people find this of use.

Big Bad John said:
A few people might want the Royal Marine URL for the new web site, as opposed to the main web site shared with the Royal Navy.   The independent URL is http://www.royalmarinesregimental.co.uk/index.shtml   I hope people find this of use.

Nice link, thanks.

I just received a letter from the RAF asking for a copy of my university transcript. We'll see how long it takes U of Waterloo to get that to me :)

Tribal Jedi,

What kind of Officer position are you applying for in the RAF? I noticed that commonwealth people are pretty limited in the type of officer positions that one can take in the RAF.

Pieman said:
Tribal Jedi,

What kind of Officer position are you applying for in the RAF? I noticed that commonwealth people are pretty limited in the type of officer positions that one can take in the RAF.

Hey i thought you are in Britain right now?

Nope. I leave end of this month. I pushed my interview dates back into November so I would have more time to raise money and prepare. The 2.28 CDN = 1 pound exchange rate is not helping my wallet on this at all. :( They say I will still be able to get in by May despite the delay so long as there are no major snags.

Pieman said:
Nope. I leave end of this month. I pushed my interview dates back into November so I would have more time to raise money and prepare. The 2.28 CDN = 1 pound exchange rate is not helping my wallet on this at all. :( They say I will still be able to get in by May despite the delay so long as there are no major snags.

I am applying to UNI's this week. What i plan on doing is joining the TA during the summer for experience. Then, when i finish my BA in history, i will apply for an officer. Let me know how it goes for you over there for you, because ill be in the same boat in 4 years hopefully.

Pieman said:
Tribal Jedi,

I had a list of everything I could do before but I seemed to have misplaced it. Essentially, they told me that as a Canadian I can't do anything on a plane but everything else was open up. I considered Air Traffic and RAF Gunner for a time but finally decided upon Gunner as I read a little more about the actual job. Apparently my security clearance goes a long way towards satisfying some of their residency and application requirements so I may not have to go through the hassle of a normal overseas applicant. Will update my situation as it changes.

Cheers
Jason

Back