• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

American troops join Canadian forces in Kandahar province

brihard

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
All the usual disclaimers and warnings. Thank you, CBC

About 800 American troops will be helping Canadian forces in the fight against Taliban insurgents in Kandahar province, military officials announced Saturday.

The new troops come from the 2nd Infantry Battalion, based at Fort Hood, Tex.

The battalion, better known as the Ramrods or the 2-2s, arrived in Kandahar in early July and are setting up a base in Maywand district, which is northwest of Kandahar city and borders on Helmand province.

U.S. Lt.-Col. Dan Hurlbut said the Americans have been scoping out the area for a few weeks. Maywand is considered a dangerous place, overrun by the Taliban, and NATO troops haven't spent much time in the area.

"Our initial impression is there are some folks who are happy to see us. There are other folks who are probably reluctant, at best, because of the Taliban presence that's been there for so long," Hurlbut said.

The Americans will come under the command of Canadian Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, who said the U.S. battalion's mission is to disrupt the flow of Taliban money and weapons in Maywand district, making it safer in areas where some of Canada's solders are based.

"I am confident that their presence in this district will contribute greatly to the overall security situation and will assist in the expansion of reconstruction, development and capacity building initiatives," Thompson said.

When the U.S. forces have their base up and running, the number of NATO troops fighting insurgents in the province will nearly double to 1,800.

The Canadians have about 1,000 infantry troops in Afghanistan. In total, about 2,500 military personnel are part of Canada's mission.

----------
Awesome news, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's a couple maps for perspective- look at where the new battalion is stationed relative to where we're operating, and relative to Helmand province.

Afghanistan, by province
map-Afghanistan-e.gif

Kandahar, by district
map-Kandahar-new.gif

The Ramrods are the battalion of author David Bellavia who wrote "House to House", an account of his experiences in Fallujah, Iraq 2004.  According to that book they are a mechanized unit equipped with M2 Bradleys.  I wonder if they brought their Bradleys and what other kit they brought with them?  It would be nice if they brought some M1 Abrams tanks; it would thicken up the firepower nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/House-Soldiers-Memoir-David-Bellavia/dp/1416546979/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220117971&sr=8-1

As an interesting aside the 2d Regiment celebrated its 200th Anniversary back in April,young compared to regiments of some of our allies.

RECEIVED FROM LTC HURLBUT:

ALL

2nd Battalion is on the ground in Afghanistan!  Our Advanced Party did a great job setting up operations here and we are in the final stages of receiving our equipment and final personnel.  The battalion is busy undergoing some required theater specific training and orientation to our new area of operations.  The Army has separated us from the rest of the Duke Brigade Combat Team due to a need for forces elsewhere in the country.  We are looking forward to working and fighting alongside many coalition partners over the next year in the Kandahar Province.

I will write more later as details become available and am able to write.

RAMRODS Lead the Way!

Daniel S. Hurlbut
LTC, IN
CDR, 2-2 IN

A Bn for that area is just a spit in the bucket...but a welcome one all the same. I love how reporters say that the Ramrod Bn name is "formerly" known as 2-2 Infantry, not "formally".

Also, there is no regular force troops in Maruf. When are we going to get people in there to shut down that insurgent infiltration route?

It's friggin' fantastic, is what it is.  Sure there's a lot of Kandahar Province that needs attention, but Maywand is a key transit route and supply node for insurgents in Helmand AND Kandahar, and needs attention the most.  It's been a longstanding problem for years, and now it's getting addressed.  As more and more Americans continue to arrive you're going to see things start to really swing in our favour.

Although I do wonder how long ISAF will last when the Americans start to dwarf everyone else's contributions in RC(S).  Not necessarily a bad thing either, so long as the US does it tactfully. . .

My son is assigned to 2-2 Infantry. I'm extremely proud he will be serving alongside his Canadian brothers in arms. From what I'm seeing here, I know he and his fellow soldiers will be welcomed warmly.

T.I.M. said:
Although I do wonder how long ISAF will last when the Americans start to dwarf everyone else's contributions in RC(S).  Not necessarily a bad thing either, so long as the US does it tactfully. . .

Which is why I wish our country would commit its military more to the mission, it's great that we're making a solid contribution but we "can" do a lot more. I doubt that would ever get past the liberal populace though, at least not in this decade.

- The only way Canada will see a greater presence in Afg is if the Liberals are elected and suddenly find their collective conscience in the refrigerator, behind the leftover quiche.  There is no way that they will make it politically acceptable for the Conservative government to expand the mission.

- We all know how this works: he who pays the piper calls the tune.  If our soldiers someday draw down and are replaced by others (French, British, etc), we wil lose our influence in the area.

- This will mystify Canadians, who have always wanted to be valued for a contribution even when they don't make one.

Awesome news and very much welcomed!!!
I have had the honour of working along side members of the US military (Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines) in various capacities and I know the insurgents are in for a tough time with the combined efforts in the province.

Back