• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about MilPoints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to think this will work alot better than the +/- simple because we can see the ratings  that have been performed on users,  who performed them, and what it was for.  (at least, mods can)

We've also got an admin system in the backend - and if someone is being ganged up on for no reason, we are able to remove or counteract the rating.

Kyle Burrows said:
We've also got an admin system in the backend - and if someone is being ganged up on for no reason, we are able to remove or counteract the rating.

Unless it's Kyle that is being ganged up.  It's typical and expected so the other mods just turn a blind eye to it.  ;)

airmich said:
Unless it's Kyle that is being ganged up.  It's typical and expected so the other mods just turn a blind eye to it.  ;)
Yeah, then I'll just ban you. :D

Kyle, all members can see everyone's ratings/assessments/etc., so the system is completely open.

Edward, I agree... making an exception is a bad thing, and I'd like to see the system "work" without having to make exceptions. The deletion penalty is based on the (sometimes incorrect) assumption that a post is being deleted because it has low value. The idea is to discourage low value posts and encourage higher value posts. It's a stretch for sure, but it's not likely to make the situation worse. (Please quote me on this later! ;)) There will undoubtedly be adjustments made to the system as we discover weak spots.

Flawed, I'm hoping the openness of this system will prevent abuse from all quarters, including mods propping up or penalizing users unfairly. Yes mods can apply an administrative adjustment to anyone's total, but it's logged and I get an e-mail notification. :) I've also stressed quite strongly that it has to be used for truly administrative purposes and not vendettas.

airmich said:

I actually highly recommend ganging up on Kyle. He's young, can't defend himself (well, at least he can use that as an excuse anyway). Almost as fun to tease as Lil Kid Baker.  ;)

Mike Bobbitt said:
Kyle, all members can see everyone's ratings/assessments/etc., so the system is completely open.

Edward, I agree... making an exception is a bad thing, and I'd like to see the system "work" without having to make exceptions. The deletion penalty is based on the (sometimes incorrect) assumption that a post is being deleted because it has low value. The idea is to discourage low value posts and encourage higher value posts. It's a stretch for sure, but it's not likely to make the situation worse. (Please quote me on this later! ;)) There will undoubtedly be adjustments made to the system as we discover weak spots.

Flawed, I'm hoping the openness of this system will prevent abuse from all quarters, including mods propping up or penalizing users unfairly. Yes mods can apply an administrative adjustment to anyone's total, but it's logged and I get an e-mail notification. :) I've also stressed quite strongly that it has to be used for truly administrative purposes and not vendettas.

Here's one that happened to me a few days ago ...

During the system backup, I made a post pressed "post" and ended up getting the timeout screen, pressed post again. When the system came backup ... the post was there twice. I deleted the double and it cost me 30 points!!

Best CoA??

No more vacations for you ... and no more backups!!  ;D

I like the idea of the MilPoints but I think that, as they are now, they may become more of a thought-control/idea-normalizing tool than promote open discussion - a good comment doesn't have to be popular.
I've been participating in this discussion board called Slashdot ("News for Nerds - stuff that matters" - to geeks) and I have seen how their rating system has evolved - now they are just too big.
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/05/1157243
At one time until recently it worked by your karma rating. If you had good karma you could be randomly selected to rate posts up to a certain number of them. In addition, you could also be selected to rate how a post had been rated - if most people agreed with how a post had been rated the person got better karma and could be selected more often to assess other posts. If everyone disagreed with your rating, you lost points. (more or less)
Not perfect but it works.

cheers,
Frank

Sorry Frank

We tried that and it was a dismal failure.  More than once.  People who hold grudges would anonymously demote people they didn't like.  A clique even formed to gang up and demote a Mod or two.  Now they can`t promote or demote anonymously and have to give a reason.  No childish games there.  Fair and honest promotions and demotions.  As fair and honest as we can get at this time.

I see. ( I just recently joined in here)
And I do like the system now that I have gone back and read more.

cheers,
Frank

Well...

I logged on 'anonymously' yesterday because it was for a short period of time,
and I had a headache, so I didn't want to have to answer to some P.M.
that may have been send to me, as I was being absent for some time.

So... I learned of the "Milpoints" yesterday. I thought that it was a system
where I would be at 0 points for a long time, since I'm out of the net
more frequently then I'm in.

I was surprised when I logged in today around 17:00 that I was at -30 MP
for a delete post, considering that my lasts posts were done the 9nth of July
and before!

Shouldn't that earned me a place in the "MilPoint "Tail End Charlies"" ?

Mike Bobbitt said:
Ah, the crusader for the weak. Intentional abuse is the single largest "fly in the ointment" to any organized peer rating system. I'm anxious to see how it plays out in this transparent system where the crusaders can't fire anonymous arrows from the shadows.  >:D

Good. I would like to know (in P.M. please) who deleted one of my posts (since the end of August, when the Milpoints
were introduced) that I make on or before the 9nth of July, so that I end up logging in at  $%&?(&*()( - 30 ?

I presume that I won't even remember the post, would it be send to me...

Thank you.

It's possible, Yrys that your deleted post was not a particular problem in and of itself.

Sometimes a whole thread is, quite properly, deleted and all those who posted in it - including those warning the originator about his ill-conceived thread - lose 30 points.

You'll get them back fast enough.

Thanks Mr. Campbell,

it was a good hypothesis, but it appears that it wasn't what happened, as I received a P.M. with the deleted post
(a post that I made in May) :

"The most recent post of your that shows deletion was in a redundant thread on enrollment ceremonies that was removed,
probably during some routine cleaning."

As you can imagine, it's difficult to track a thread once it's been deleted, so we often can't tell exactly what the thread was unfortunately. :(

All,

Just a quick note to say that purchases from the Army.ca Store will now net you MilPoints as well. For every dollar spent, you'll get 10 MilPoints. This includes shirts, hats, etc. but also annual subscriber fees. Unfortunately only PayPal purchases are included - it's not that I have a particular fondness for PayPal but they're the only type of payments I can automatically process.

Thanks for your ongoing support!

Cheers
Mike

If we just send money.. can we get milpoints so we can be the coolest kid on the block?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Brrrr,.......good time to get those army.ca hoodies.

Maybe next winter, I am still wearing-in my purdy T-shirt.  ;D

It's the swag, not the points that'll make you the coolest kid on the block. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back