• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Show Photos

Yes the Raptor is fine machine, the fly by over the crowds and from behind was amazing.. same for our CF-18, amazing show..
it was my first time I attend with my wife the show , last time I was in Hamilton back in mid '90..
C-17 looked beautifull..
I wish had better camera, some of the shots I took were out of focus..  ;D

tech2002 said:
I wish had better camera, some of the shots I took were out of focus..  ;D

Aviation photography is a skill onto itself...good equipment helps but the shots i took from the cockpit on the previous page were taken with a grocery store brand disposable camera.

Those pictures are good.. I like them, first time I see shots take from inside of the snowbird plane... I have been using film quite often since I can take picture faster ,
those guys like bandit 1 probably using high end SLR type camera, canon, nikon, when I was yesterday at the show, a lot of people had those camera's with long lenses and I can hear click, click, click, click, click...  where mine was click .... storing, click...... storing, click...... storing  ;D hehehe.. 

Put my vote down for the photos of different types of aircraft flying together. Over the years I have seen all the normal stuff, and as has been said some of the better stuff is seen departing or arriving, but this is the first time I have seen a heritage flight.
I find it technically interesting to see aircraft of different generations hanging in the sky.
It is a pain logistically to get down to the CNE so it is great to see your pictures.
Thanks muchly for the photos.

tech2002 said:
those guys like bandit 1 probably using high end SLR type camera

Actually I use the Kodak Easyshare Z650, a point and shoot but one with a myriad of functions and different settings which help the photographer adapt to the different conditions which they find themselves in while shooting. 

A lot of people have the misconception (I'm not saying anyone here!) that you need a high priced camera to take a good or great picture.  Having the bigger image sensor does help, don't get me wrong, but even the pro with a $5000 camera sometimes can't get good shots simply because he either wasn't in the right area or didn't know the nature of his camera.  Remember, bigger and more expensive means more buttons and more to learn.  I've seen manuals that are as thick as a Flight Safety manual, easily 2" thick.  People will buy the camera but then not sit down and learn about everything the camera can do. 

With regards to the Heritage Flight, I was at  a great spot along the Toronto waterfront which I knew that they'd be flying over - proof that recon work does come in handy when shooting certain shows.  The Snowbird shots I took were from show centre, where I was looking after my air show responsibilities on Saturday.  The great thing about the Snowbirds is that they're flying a much tighter box this year compared to years past, which keeps them in front of the audience a lot more.  Some of the static shots come from a creative imagination, thinking outside the box and just coming up with something different.  I mean, how many of us have seen a side or frontal view of a Hornet, the Snowbirds, Rhino, etc...the only one I hadn't seen up close and personal was the Raptor, so I took many shots of her and posted the ones that looked ok.  Not great, but ok and the bonus is that it gives people who weren't there a chance to see the lines of what is a truly magnificant aircraft.  Personally, I'm big on Morning Glory but a very close 2nd is the shot of the CF-18's taxiing in where I managed to catch the heat waves coming from the engines.  Both HF photos I like as well.  Who am I kidding, I love any chance when I get to see military assets in the air.

I'm going through the process of saving up some money to get a decent SLR (Cannon XTi package, will set me back about $2000 including battery pack, memory cards and a couple of lenses - one zoom one wide angle for air to air shooting) but with my foray into the Forces it might be a little while before I get it, as I might be using Nikon when I do get in...

I know most are busy here with life and a whole bunch of different things, but if you have the time to spare to volunteer at a local air show near you, then I'd suggest going for it.  You won't get paid, but the chance to meet performers and see the planes on arrival day or even first thing in the morning without people around more than pays for the hours that you put in as a volunteer.

For those who want to see more air show pictures that I've taken over the summer, feel free to go here.  I've also been lucky enough to do some writing and photographing for the Air Force website, and those pieces can be found here and here.  Feel free to leave your feedback here, even constructive criticism is appreciated!

Cheers, and never stop looking up!

Baden  Guy said:
I must have missed that part. You're joining the forces?

Not to deviate too much from this thread, but I wanted to be an AF PAFFO for a long time but there weren't any positions available so I started my app with the desired position being Int Ops.  I recently got an email that the AF opened up a couple of AF Reserve PAFFO positions, one of which will apparantly be offered to me once I redo my interview and a couple of other matters are addressed.  More details to follow as it all becomes available.

Bandit

How much of a difference is there when it comes to the noise level between the F18 and Raptor?

NINJA said:
How much of a difference is there when it comes to the noise level between the F18 and Raptor?

Given that neither aircraft go supersonic during the performance, from a technical standpoint they aren't that far apart.  Given that the Raptor does have maneuvres built into its routine that rely on its thrust vectoring capabilities, however, I would have to say that it is a little bit louder, but not by much. 

Here are some more pictures from the show...

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, I appreciate them.  I'm hoping you'll be able to do me a favour?

I've entered a contest over on Air Show Buzz and need your votes to try to win a truck... :)  I've submitted the photo Morning Glory, which is attached below.  The contest is open to anyone, so if you have a story, photo, or video to share, do so and who knows, you might be the lucky winner!

If you feel like it, head over here and vote or submit your entry!

Cheers, and I'll be sure to post more photos when I get the chance...

Bandit out!

I had the oppurtunity to go to three major Air Shows the year before I released, First was the Cold Lake Air Show (seeing as I was posted to Cold Lake for almost 18 years everyday was an air show!) which was a 3 day show, then I had the awesome chance to go to work the Yellowknife Air Show, and finally I worked the Abbotsford show.

I took hundreds of pictures behind the scenes, of all shows (maybe 900 that is!) and I was stupid not to backup the pics to DVD and we lost all of them and quite a few other camping pictures!!!

I lost some quality awesome pics!!!!!!!

A few more from St. Thomas...spine lit -16 and -18, along with a Colorado ANG -16 and the CF-18 crew here in Toronto...

COLOURED BADGES !!!!!

HERESSY......HERESSY

avert your eyes people, they may take on other forms......

Back