• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Roto in Aug 06

strauss

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know which bde is/if being deployed? Also, would this be Roto6?

Thanks

It's no longer Op Athena.....it's Op Archer, and it'll be roto 2.

The force will be out of Pet...consisting of what I have no idea.

I can't wait to get out of this place..........

Regards

To speculate further, would that be RCD as the main battlegroup?
Also, A more stupid question what medal does Archer get? Athena was the star like medal, is this the same or is it the general service ISAF? kinda curious. . .

Can't speculate as it already changed 16 times how many troops are going from the RCD.

I've heard there is also a NATO medal being handed out to PERS deployed to Afghani right now.

Hoover said:
I've heard there is also a NATO medal being handed out to PERS deployed to Afghani right now.

No there isn't...at least not to any ground troops. The GCS is the medal being handed out for this one. Mind you some of us are getting the SWASM due to the fact that we changed operations in mid-tour.

There was the Non-Article 5 NATO medal passed out from NATO...and that will not be allowed to be worn by Canadian soldiers due to the fact they can only award one medal for one operation, the GCS.

That is a sore point for the troops who did Roto 3 Op Athena.

Regards

+1 on what Franko said.

There is a NATO medal with ISAF bar, but Canadians do not get it because we recieve the GCS with ISAF bar.

NATO HQ is now aware of this policy, after the roto 3 problems...

I did Roto 3 and received both the GCS and NA5 w/ ISAF bar.  The NA5 was handed to the troops by their Troop Officer and told it was meant as a "gift" or "souvenir" Call it what you will, in any event, it cannot be worn.  I had mine mounted anyway by itself and is hanging in a little 1 medal shadow box on my wall along side all my other Certificates and Awards etc.

there are rules on how many people from a nation can get medals per tour and opperation?

Uhhhhhhh.......... Ya.  The rule is simple - 1 medal per operation.  I received my Campaign Star for my service on Op Athena Roto 3 with an ISAF bar on the ribbon.  I ALSO received a NATO NA5 medal that also says ISAF on it's bar.  That means I can only have one mounted and worn on my uniform as you cannot wear 2 medals for the same operation.  Since the GCS is higher than the NA5 medal, that is the one I wear.  An exception is if you go do a peacekeeping tour for the first time, you will receive the medal for the operation plus the CPSM medal.  But, the CPSM is a non-specific medal that merely recognizes the fact that you did a peacekeeping tour - it is not confined to one operation.

Another twist - Guys who did Op Athena Roto 4 got the Campaign Star, but many of them also switched operations to Qandahar before coming home and thus fell into Op Archer, thereby qualifying them for the SouthWest Asia Service Medal.  They will be entitled to wear BOTH medals, even though they were only in Afghanistan for 4 1/2 months, but since they switched theatres & operations, they can wear both medals to reflect that.

reccecrewman said:
I did Roto 3 and received both the GCS and NA5 w/ ISAF bar.   The NA5 was handed to the troops by their Troop Officer and told it was meant as a "gift" or "souvenir" Call it what you will, in any event, it cannot be worn.   I had mine mounted anyway by itself and is hanging in a little 1 medal shadow box on my wall along side all my other Certificates and Awards etc.

Luck--eeee! I was told by HQ TFK that I couldn't even receive my NATO medal from ISAF, period. I still sit up nights crying about it.

Cheers

reccecrewman said:
Another twist - Guys who did Op Athena Roto 4 got the Campaign Star, but many of them also switched operations to Qandahar before coming home and thus fell into Op Archer, thereby qualifying them for the SouthWest Asia Service Medal.  They will be entitled to wear BOTH medals, even though they were only in Afghanistan for 4 1/2 months, but since they switched theatres & operations, they can wear both medals to reflect that.

::)

Alright then....I'm on month 5.5.....my tour ends in March totaling 8 months.

Some of us have to stay and work to get things ready for Roto 1 like sorting out the mess from Kabul.

Let's not even start to compare tours buds....last time I heard no one from your sqn was engaged by RPG fire or hit with IEDs. Was the camp rocketed...nope.

Can the sarcasm, suck it up and move on.

Regards

reccecrewman said:
Uhhhhhhh.......... Ya.   The rule is simple - 1 medal per operation.   I received my Campaign Star for my service on Op Athena Roto 3 with an ISAF bar on the ribbon.   I ALSO received a NATO NA5 medal that also says ISAF on it's bar.   That means I can only have one mounted and worn on my uniform as you cannot wear 2 medals for the same operation.   Since the GCS is higher than the NA5 medal, that is the one I wear.   An exception is if you go do a peacekeeping tour for the first time, you will receive the medal for the operation plus the CPSM medal.   But, the CPSM is a non-specific medal that merely recognizes the fact that you did a peacekeeping tour - it is not confined to one operation.

Another twist - Guys who did Op Athena Roto 4 got the Campaign Star, but many of them also switched operations to Qandahar before coming home and thus fell into Op Archer, thereby qualifying them for the SouthWest Asia Service Medal.   They will be entitled to wear BOTH medals, even though they were only in Afghanistan for 4 1/2 months, but since they switched theatres & operations, they can wear both medals to reflect that.

violin.gif

Sorry, hope that's not to insensitive. As Franko and others have stated, there's a lot more to worry about over there than what bling-bling your going to get to wear. On Roto 0 we fought for and got the GCS, we refused the NA5 NATO, and some of us just got our GCS two months ago from that tour. I just can't bring myself to share your grief.

reccecrewman said:
Another twist - Guys who did Op Athena Roto 4 got the Campaign Star, but many of them also switched operations to Qandahar before coming home and thus fell into Op Archer, thereby qualifying them for the SouthWest Asia Service Medal.   They will be entitled to wear BOTH medals, even though they were only in Afghanistan for 4 1/2 months, but since they switched theatres & operations, they can wear both medals to reflect that.

That's wierd. Why is this occuring and what exactly is the justification for it? It seems to me that this did not occur previously upon roll-over/change in mission mandate from Op Apollo to Op Athena despite the large number of personnel involved.

Some Op Apollo Roto II personnel served 7 1/2 months in-theatre. 4 months as part of Op Apollo and it's mandate/mission and then the remaining 3.5 months as Op Athena under it's mission mandate. Why would they then, not have been awarded both the SWASM and the GCS/GCM?

This turn of events does not make sense to me, as clearly the mandates/missions/overseers of the Ops clearly changed in both cases? Why 2 medals for what is essentially one deployment in Op Athena/Op Archers case and not in the case of Op Apollo/Op Athena personnel?

Have we become a military where we are going to be getting medals for each course etc that we do? They'll need to be issuing me a bigger chest first.

Does anybody out there have any insight as to exactly why the awarding of 2 medals for one tour is being condoned? Or any insight as to why it wasn't also applied to Op Apollo/Op Athena as well? This double-medalling does not make good sense to me. Just my .02.

Armyvern, the first case cited would have gotten two medal as well, had the GCS existed in Apollo's day....but it didn't.

AFAIC, if Auntie Liz says you're entitle to something by her own rules, you should get it.

- 30 days in theatre or 90 days in support is what it takes to qualify for SWASM with bar.
- 30 days cumulative in theatre for the GCS w/ ISAF bar.

...easy to do in 4 1/2 months.  This is sequential, doing one after the other, not like th ecase of the GCS and the NATO non-Art 5 ribbon of earlier ATHENA rotos.

Cheers,
Duey

Back