• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Detainee Mega Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter rceme_rat
  • Start date Start date
Now what !!  They will force the reopening of the POW camp in Farnham ??  ::)  I think, it's not the good way to help them if we do the detension for the afghan goverment.  They have to do it and learn how to do it.   My 2 cent !!

Solution:

Turn the Taliban detainees over to Amnesty International and the B.C. Civil Liberties Association in Kandahar province and let them deal with the detainees there. I know the Canada border Security Agency should never allow undocumented and unhygenic individuals access to Canada

a_majoor said:
Solution:

Turn the Taliban detainees over to Amnesty International and the B.C. Civil Liberties Association in Kandahar province and let them deal with the detainees there. I know the Canada border Security Agency should never allow undocumented and unhygienic individuals access to Canada
              No, turn the Taliban detainees over to Amnesty International and the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, so they can be put up in there homes so  they can look out for the Taliban safety, at all times, and pay for them too !, maybe marry a few of there kids off to them, you know the son you didn't have, one big happy family. And they can have a Taliban detainees family picnic once a year, and X-mas doesn't that sound like fun ! , all the little Taliban kids running around. Gee that sounds great !  :'(

If, and it's a big IF, we lose on appeal after appeal then the only acceptable solution will be to build a POW cage (I think that's still the right word) in Afghanistan to be administered by Afghans and Canadians.

Gen. Hillier has stressed that they are Afghanistan's prisoners - we just help and suppport the ANA in its own, sovereign territory. That is how it MUST be - to claim otherwise is to claim that we are invaders/occupiers. If Canadian courts decide that we must violate Afghanistan's sovereignty by exercising some control over Afghanistan's prisoners then we can do that while mentoring the Afghans on POW handing.

We violate Afghanistan's sovereignity if we tell the Afghans how to run their own show
We violate Afghanistan's sovereignity if we remove any Afghans from their country without their permission
We violate Afghanistan's sovereignity if, to the Afghan people, we take over responsibilities (building & running prison) that should be dealt with by the Afghan people.
We violate Afghanistan's sovereignity if we do what Amnesty international & the BC Civil liberties Assn are asking us to do.

Short of handing over sovereignity of Han island to the Afghans & establishing a TB colony there.... not sure what can be done to make everyone happy.

There is a VERY thin red line between looking out for prisoner's rights and essentially 'discouraging' the taking of prisoners at all.  Lawyers will not understand this.  Soldiers will.

On what Charter grounds is the Charter challenge being mounted?

If the Charter is applied extraterritorially, what is the difference between a detainee and someone who successfully clears the gates of a Canadian compound and claims refugee status?

What are our options if the Afghan government makes a concise and clear legal declaration that all persons not covered by a SOFA shall be immediately subject to Afghan legal jurisdiction?

Brad,
The are not challenging the charter, they are challenging our actions under the Cdn charter of rights

From their perspective, if we have captured the troops and they are under our control, then we are on the hook and responsible for how they are looked after as a detainee..... forever and ever, amen!

What are our options - per the doo-gooders?... Catch & release!

Waitacottonpickinminute...

Aren't these the same hug thy neighbour types that constantly decry Gitmo as "illegal" or a "fascist internment camp"? Now they WANT us to make a carbon copy?

WTF?

I can already see the pressitute article being written... 

Prisoner Ahmed Raman Kahn, known only as prisoner 328597 in the ubiquitously named Baffin Island detention facility hasn't seen his wife and children in over 3 years and Amnesty International is calling for him to either be released in Afghanistan or for his immediate family to be flown to Canada and housed at the government's expense.

Khan, who claims he has been abused in the Canadian government facility said in addition that the cold temperature and arctic climate were "cruel and unusual punishment".

Jack Layton has begun campaigning for the facility to be closed and all the "unlawful detainees" to be released by the 'Bush like' Harper Conservatives...
:brickwall:

E.R. Campbell said:
If, and it's a big IF, we lose on appeal after appeal then the only acceptable solution will be to build a POW cage (I think that's still the right word) in Afghanistan to be administered by Afghans and Canadians.

Here, here - I had to take a deep breath or two, but let's realize the only thing the courts have agreed to is to HEAR the case.  I think we're still quite some distance from changing our SOPs just yet.  Unless, of course, someone (political) in the system flinches...

+100 to "we're here to help the Afghans, not do the job for them" and "they're AFGHAN prisoners, not CANADIAN prisoners".

milnewstbay said:
Here, here - I had to take a deep breath or two, but let's realize the only thing the courts have agreed to is to HEAR the case.  I think we're still quite some distance from changing our SOPs just yet.  Unless, of course, someone (political) in the system flinches...

+100 to "we're here to help the Afghans, not do the job for them" and "they're AFGHAN prisoners, not CANADIAN prisoners".

I'm sure clever government lawers can keep things tied up until at least the end of the Afghanistan Compact in 2011  ;)

Reccesoldier said:
Waitacottonpickinminute...

Aren't these the same hug thy neighbour types that constantly decry Gitmo as "illegal" or a "fascist internment camp"? Now they WANT us to make a carbon copy?

WTF? +1 on the camp

I can already see the pressitute article being written... 
:brickwall:
            + 100 on the  :brickwall:    And your story not that far from left

>Catch & release!

That works.  Catch and parole. Take them to a camp and intern them until they promise not to engage in hostilities if released; then show them out the front gate.

Brad Sallows said:
>Catch & release!

That works.  Catch and parole. Take them to a camp and intern them until they promise not to engage in hostilities if released; then show them out the front gate.

Ayup, we release them.... and if they get captured by Afghan authorities once they have been released, not really our problem anymore, is it?

a_majoor said:
I'm sure clever government lawers can keep things tied up until at least the end of the Afghanistan Compact in 2011  ;)

I just read a copy of the BC Court decision to allow the proceeding of the case. The Govt of Canada  tried to block the application but sadly their objection reads like a list of hastily-thought up obstacles thrown desperately in the path of something that they know they probably can't stop. In the end the judge ruled that while the applicants have yet to prove the merits of their actual case against the Govt, the case can go ahead to court. According to a legal type I spoke with, there is probably very little danger that the end result would be individual soldiers being prosecuted. The people moving this application are out to get public figures at a much higher level, in order to make their point that Canada shouldn't have entered into that agreement.

OK....this is a joke, right.....?

Cheers

X-mo-1979 said:
Hand them all over to the ANA.They LOVE taliban.
That is what we are doing right now... and are being dragged over the coals for.

geo said:
That is what we are doing right now... and are being dragged over the coals for.

Hence why i asked if he understood the issue before saying something like that

Back