• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Academic and Civilian Standing for Officer Application + Application Timing

therickiness

Inactive
Reaction score
Browsing through the recruitment website and I can't find any personal statistic pages regarding potential officer applicants. Many  pre-professional forums like dental and medical forums have central profile page giving the school grades, entrance marks and extracurricular activities of the individual. I think this maybe a new area to be looked at here as well. Please correct me if I missed a similar thread. 

Applied: late Jan 2012
Initial screening (security) and aptitude test passed: end of Feb 2012
Interview and Medical Expected: end of March 2012
Applying for DEO Engineer

School: University of Calgary, Biochemistry Hon
GPA: 3.5 overall, 3.45 Sci
Extracurricular: dental school applicant received interviews, 500+ clinic hours, various volunteer positions from worker to executive committee member

Any senior members with experience at the selection process any hint at my quick resume would really be greatly appreciated. waiting for years on a merit list is not an option. I am giving up dental school and graduate studies to do this, waiting is would seriously hinder my army apps.

Cheers,

therickiness said:
Applying for DEO Engineer

School: University of Calgary, Biochemistry Hon

I was unaware that you could use a biochem degree for direct entry into Engineer Officer. Hmm. I guess you can.

There's a scoring criteria for DEO applicants...I believe it's 60 for the interview, 15 for CFAT, and 15 for grades, if I'm not mistaken. The search function would probably know for certain. ;)

In any case, nobody here will be able to tell you where on the merit list you would fall, as we don't have access to the applications of everyone else applying to your trades this year.

Also, I really hope you haven't quit school already. That's one of the deadly sins of the recruiting process.

I am still finishing my last year of undergraduate studies. I did go to some of my dental school interviews and the interviews went great. But I am prepared to wave these.

I applied specifically to catch the April 1st new fiscal year where everything opens and to my understanding the time of year where the majority of job offerings are made.

However I am aware of the dreaded waiting time and also read from the forum offers being made within a month of the interview. I think I will try to ask some info in my interview about:
- candidate evaluation criteria
- dates where merit list are reviewed and decision made
- and my prospects given my grades and what i am about to give up in order to commit to CF

I remember the recruiter (CFRC Calgary) said once the aptitude minimum has been met, they will not have any bearing on your final acceptance.

Thxs for the input mate

Cheers

What about joining as a dental officer?  if you can go extended studies for Dental after you are accepted?

I'm not sure how that process works but it might be an avenue for you to pursue.

I agree with SentryMan, if you want to be a dentist, apply for Dental Officer Training Plan - if you get accepted to dental school, good chance you could have that subsidized.  Talk to the Recruiter about it.

MM

therickiness said:
waiting for years on a merit list is not an option. I am giving up dental school and graduate studies to do this, waiting is would seriously hinder my army apps.
Best be prepared to wait a while.  It seems these days that most people spend quite a bit of time waiting between stages of the application process.

therickiness said:
- and my prospects given my grades and what i am about to give up in order to commit to CF
As I understand the selection process, you will be given a numerical score as determined by the different pieces of your file (interview, experience, education, etc.) and that numerical score will place you on a list with other applicants.  The higher your score, the better your chances at getting in.

I don't think 'what you're about to give up to commit to the CF' will factor in, unless you present it in a way that reflects favorably on your experience or character.

Good luck.

dental officer is boring (no offense), I cant think anything short of combat arms as being the full army package.

therickiness said:
dental officer is boring (no offense), I cant think anything short of combat arms as being the full army package.

It's not boring for the Army guy that has to sit in the dentist chair...more like horrifying, I think it's the sound of the high pitched drills...

BTW The Navy is the Army's best kept secret, find out for yourself.
Showers, 3 squares a day, a dry warm bed (rack) and you get to see the world...not every square inch of Wainwright. A career that enables you to represent Canada, the RCN, the Canadian Army and the RCAF on an international stage. In addition to regular sea going positions on HMC ships, for those in the Medical and Dental profession, you might have an opportunity to sail aboard the US Navy Hospital Ship Mercy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S67fipVYmYE

It is not the "full army package" that matters, what matters is that you love what you do.

I must quote my fine friend Glen, who is a dentist that I was lucky enough to go through IAP (BMOQ, Part 1 now?) with a few years ago.

"I'm not just a dentist.....I'm an Army dentist!" he said with the butt of his C-7 resting on his hip, finger OFF the trigger and a shit-eating grin on his face along with remnants of cam paint.

Wook

Back