• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AAD and NGS (split from JSS Amphib Capability thread)

Thanks,

Did a couple of minor changes to it, and when talking with a couple folks who read it (w/o checking to look at the attached pics of the system) one said he didn't like it because the exposed mortar system wouldn't survive well in a Naval environment....to which I pulled a copy of the brochure showing the twin-barrel turretted system out from the back for him to look at. 

The only other comment was that the idea of bringing a $800Million dollar ship that close inshore to provide fire support was...undesireable.  With a max range of 15 km, and keeping 5 km offshore for seakeeping, that's still 10km  inland you can hit...or even keeping 10K offshore to maintain some extra response time in case of incoming, you can still reach inland 5KM, that's enough to at least provide *some* help to army guys going ashore, right?

NS

What about a specialized NGS ship. Say corvette size with AMOS and MLRS? 2 per coast which would allow for refits.

Trying to get another class of ship through the system?  I honestly don't think that'd work so well.

Now, that said, how about grabbing the old steamers hiding on the other side of the harbour, putting a couple AMOS turrets on them (fore/aft, replace the 3" forward, and the ASROC aft) add an MLRS in the mortar wells, get a skeleton crew, and off you go?

Ideal platform.  Completely expendable!

NS

NavyShooter said:
Trying to get another class of ship through the system?  I honestly don't think that'd work so well.

Now, that said, how about grabbing the old steamers hiding on the other side of the harbour, putting a couple AMOS turrets on them (fore/aft, replace the 3" forward, and the ASROC aft) add an MLRS in the mortar wells, get a skeleton crew, and off you go?

Ideal platform.  Completely expendable!

NS

Good plan...might be interesting to see if they could get them moving under their own power again....

Boilers are probably hooped after so long.  Gottago's would be in the best shape...we rebuilt one of them prior to the end (crew-done mini-refit of the boiler)

They used to send guys down from FMFCS to flash/turnover gear every now and then (monthly or so) just to keep things in semi-operable state, but I think that ended a while ago.

NS

Back