• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

60 Failures out of 129 candidates failed PT test

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoF
Recruits with poor motivation reflect the society they grew up in.
They have poor eating habbits because they don't know any better AND their parents probably didn't either. 
Fixing their eating habbits, showing them what is OK & what isn't goes a long way to addressing the problem.
WRT the actual PT, as Vern pointed out, in highschool, the average kid gets one class of physical (in)activity per week.  How is that supposed to motivate them to drop the PSP/XBox/WEII TV / DVD / PC Chat.
Some people will revert back to what they were prior to enrollment BUT, most won't.
Although it is an inconvenience to bring em up to minimum basic PRIOR to starting their Basic, I think we are ahead in the recruiting process.

I was at bmq in st jean for a month I  passed everything but my situps.. I weigh 250 pounds.. but I chose to VR for the reasons being that I have seen a lot people getting hurt . I felt that it would be in my best interest to come home and lose more weight then re apply to reduce any chances of me hurting myself.. If I could give some advice to the new recruits make sure that your are in the best shape that you can be.

While I was at St Jean the instructors told me that the testing will go back to the recruiting center and RFT will not be there.. so to make sure that i can do my situps when I come back.

There is nothing in the air so far which tell us that RFT will be stop.  Today after one month of training for 25 candidates, everybody except 2 pass their VO2 max and 9 of the 26 pass the complete PT test.  So not bad result at all

machine463 said:
and 9 of the 26 pass the complete PT test.  So not bad result at all

After all that PT, only 9 of the group can pass the complete test ?

You call that "not bad" !!!!!!

obviously you never seen those candidates in which physical state they were when they came.  We trained them but one thing for sure we do not do miracle.  I think when you weight in 360 pound, 7 foot tall and in one months almost improve 3 level on the shuttle run that is pretty good result

machine463 said:
obviously you never seen those candidates in which physical state they were when they came.  We trained them but one thing for sure we do not do miracle.  I think when you weight in 360 pound, 7 foot tall and in one months almost improve 3 level on the shuttle run that is pretty good result

Ok well thanks for putting things into perspective.  But i have to ask myself, if they showed up at the CFRC in that kind of physical shape.....what were they thinking ?

I haven't read the entire thread so please excuse if it has been mentioned previously. I know from my past experience OJT'ing at an CFRC that the Fitness tests results (primarily for push ups and sit ups not for step test) were waived for new applicants. It was part of a strategy to  have applicants processed within 1 week of receiving their completed files.

The thought was recruits would get 'remedial' PT training in St. Jean. If a candidate was unable to meet standard after the remedial training they would be released. If I recall, this change was a directive from NDHQ. These numbers should surprise no one. After the drug and background check, PT was the biggest cause of applicant 'failure' at the recruiting centres.

How about instead of pointing out the  ones who failied you go and help them achieve their goal. Thats what the CF is all about, pushing your self and training for it.

slowmode said:
How about instead of pointing out the  ones who failied you go and help them achieve their goal. Thats what the CF is all about, pushing your self and training for it.

Some people show up less than motivated and no amount of help will get those people through.  Some people are like that because they have no concept of what they have signed up for.  You may think its a lofty goald to help people through it until they pass but ask yourself this : how much resource are you willing to invest in a person who was not willing to invest his/her own time to get ready for what they volunteered for ? The CF is about defending Canadians....not running a weight loss camp for kids who "always wanted to be sniper"

CDN Aviator said:
Some people show up less than motivated and no amount of help will get those people through.  Some people are like that because they have no concept of what they have signed up for.  You may think its a lofty goald to help people through it until they pass but ask yourself this : how much resource are you willing to invest in a person who was not willing to invest his/her own time to get ready for what they volunteered for ? The CF is about defending Canadians....not running a weight loss camp for kids who "always wanted to be sniper"
  You have a very good points their CDN Aviator. Thats true, many people sign up not knowing what their getting them selves into, they expect it to be easy. But you pose a good question, how much resources am I willing to invest to get people ready for what they volunteered for. Honestly, Not much, It should be the responsability of those whom sign up to look at the requirements to join and see if they have the physical fitness to.

I completly agree with you saying the CDN Forces is not running a weight loss camp, but you have to remember, everyone can get better, you dont have to help train them but just motivate them into training. Say My brother failed, I would motivate him into training to get better for the re-test. But I see where your coming from CDN , you pose very good points. What I have noticed is the lack of PT has gone down, In bmq we never ran past 5k.

As some of you know, I took part in the RFT program. When I arrived in St. Jean I ran a 3.5 on the beep test, did 30 sit-ups and one pushup. I know, pretty sad results. PT was definitely my weakness. So I was sent to RFT.

When I did my test to leave RFT I ran a 5 on the beep test, did 10 pushups, and approximately 34 sit-ups. Not amazing results, but something I was proud to achieve through hard work. I can also attest that the RFT program is no cake walk. I am now on Grad week in the Mega, and I can say without a doubt that some of my "worst" most challenging weeks here were spent on RFT. I was always being pushed beyond my max there. Which is exactly what I needed.

Three weeks ago I had my final PT test for my course. I ran a level 7 on the beep test, did 20 pushups, and 36 sit-ups. That is well above exempt for a female in the CF. (and above the minimum male standard for those who complain about the female standard being too low) I'm damn proud of my accomplishments, and know that it took a heck of a lot of hard work to get to where I am now.

I definitely agree that I should have been "in shape" before I arrived at the Mega, and I would have graduated 2 months ago if I had been. However, I am very grateful that the CF gave me a chance to improve my weakness so that I could show them how bad I want to do this job. I know many don't agree with the program, but I know personally how great it can be. Like I tell a lot of people around the Mega that make fun of the people on RFT "You can fix un-fit, but you can't fix stupid. Why do we give multiple recourses to people who fail PO checks, but we think we should throw people out on their butts after one PT failure?"..... Food for thought.

Just a few thoughts from a very proud Recruit who will be on her graduation parade this Thursday. Thank you RFT for giving me a chance at this awesome career.

Well done Pvt Pea. Motivation is the key to success and you certainly have that in spades. :salute:

Pea,

You worked your ass off to get where you are today. You can thank RFT ... but you had to have it in you too. RFT won't fix the unfit who are unmotivated, lacking in initiative, or just plain lazy (they may fall into your "stupid" category!!).

RFT is only an aid -- an aid which helps the deserving and the motivated accomplish what you have.

Good on you. Have an awesome Grad parade -- you deserve it & you've earned it.

Vern

I was in a similar boat as Pea here. (In fact, I was on RFT with her)

Being ROTP in Civ U, I basically forgot about physical fitness after IAP. I ate lots of pizza, drank lots of beer, and just about never hit the gym.

Then, along came BOTP. I failed the initial test on push-ups, so I was allowed to continue training. After 6 weeks of relatively easy PT, along came another PT test, which I failed, but was close. A few phone calls and a PRB later, I was put on RFT for 9 days.

RFT was very challenging for some, but is doable for a motivated individual. For me, I was not only challenged physically, but in a leadership capacity as well, being Candidate Pl Comd for my duration on RFT. In the end, my career was spared, and I had a valuable learning experience in an officer capacity. I can say without any hesitation that in the 9 days I spent on RFT, I was more challenged and motivated than I was on my 6 week BOTP course, and it was easily on-par for a learning experience as an officer.

Thanks to RFT, I haven't let myself make the same mistakes as last time. Not only was RFT a saving grace and a learning experience, but it was also a wake-up call. Hitting the gym has now found itself in my schedule 3 times a week... and that is scheduled to increase soon. While others in my degree program (Computer Science) are rapidly gaining weight and becoming heavily dependent on caffiene to survive long periods awake, I'm better able to survive and recover from a long waking period, eating much healthier food, and am wearing clothing sizes they could only dream of.

Amazing what 9 days can do.

To machine463 and all the RFT staff, thanks once again for a second chance at this career. Your motivation and teachings go farther than just the fence of St-Jean Garrison.

This is a good thread, very interesting.

Ill put on my experience;

OK I'm not the guy with the best shape in the unit, i still have to lose possibly and other 20-30 pounds, but one year ago, I had a horrific weight off 335 pounds, and now I'm at 255.

I understand it is horrific, When I did my Express test on my Pres QBM, I failed my push up test and, the Course gave me a 10 days before retest. during the course, I did push ups every time I could, I had great people who helped med and encouraged me out. And I successfully completed my retest.

OK I achieved the minimum level in my race, in my push up, but made good result in my sit up and the pull thing.

It was my responsibility to get in shape, I did what I could.

When I started to train more "seriously" the 2.4k I was not able to do it under 15-16 minutes, now I do it in 13. I know it is still not acceptable, I should work harder on it. And I will.

Lately I went on my own of the 13k walk with the gear (minus weapon and steel pot) and I did 14k in around 2 hours 2 minutes. So I'm getting better. and this is what is important, willing to put the effort to get in better shape.

I know I will never be the Shapiest guy, But, I'm willing and that is what counts.

To be willing is to be able.

To Pea, Jork & MM,
Good for you.

The idea of the RFT is a good one.  People who would have been turned away - never to be seen again have been brought up to snuff and have learnt a life lesson.  Time will tell if they return to old habbits or get on with their life.

I will pass on the good comments to the RFTstaff.  I'm happy that the program do work and it does showed.  To the Officer which did came on RFT, yes the instructors there always try to get your leadership skill out and always try to find new ways to improve yourself so down the road you can be at your best.  Don't forget LEAD BY EXAMPLE.
Thank for all the good comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back