• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

60 Failures out of 129 candidates failed PT test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that they are doing CrossFit at BNs and the Battle Schools and have even gone so far as to get instructors and PSP certified as CrossFit trainers. Are there any plans to implement this method of training (which is absolutley second to none) in other schools at well? (Namely St. Jean)

If not, why in the name of all that is holy are they not?

Simple Answer.... Cross Fit is not the be all, end all system for fitness in fact I personally am not a fan at all.

The PSP may incorporate some of it into the system or what have you but it will not a be a true CrossFit system and like I said nor should it be. I don't use Crossfit I have used somethings from it but when I did a full Crossfit program I lost fitness.

This is not a Cross Fit thread. This Thread is about the RFT program and why it does or does not work and how those on it have gained.

The Cross Fit Thread is here
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/42068.0.html

Feel free to read it then PM me should you desire.

maniac779 said:
I know that they are doing CrossFit at BNs and the Battle Schools and have even gone so far as to get instructors and PSP certified as CrossFit trainers. Are there any plans to implement this method of training (which is absolutley second to none) in other schools at well? (Namely St. Jean)

If not, why in the name of all that is holy are they not?

Remember,
Not all people going thru St-Jean are destined for the Combat arms.
Air & Sea types might not be enthralled - and am refering to instructors AND candidates

geo said:
Remember,
Not all people going thru St-Jean are destined for the Combat arms.
Air & Sea types might not be enthralled - and am refering to instructors AND candidates

So are you trying to say they should be held to less of a fitness standard than the rest?
Just because they arnt green doesnt mean they should not be held up to the same standard.

The Air, Sea and Land have different fitness standards.  Each element will establish a standard that meets it's requirements.

Check it out.....Cross fit is not the fitness standard of Air, Sea or Land.

Recruits have to learn to walk before they can run.  Making them go fast will only result in one thing... some will get hurt

geo said:
  Making them go fast will only result in one thing... some will get hurt

Agreed.

How ever in BMQ, recruits are all held to the same standard regardless of element. In their units its obviously a different story.
I think crossfit would be a good program to throw in and have the PSP staff run it during afternoon PT. Crossfit is not just for those in great shape, its to help get people into better shape. I guess with removing the fitness test from recruiting the recruits are starting to show up with no base level of fitness at all, this poses a problem for crossfit as well as in the CF in my opinion.

But even with CrossFit, newbies with no level of fitness will be doing basic PT stuff anyway. Pushups, pullups, air squats, running, sprinting, jumping... you don't throw them right into power snatches and handstand pushups.

Anyway CrossFit need way too much supervision.  Imagine 2 or 3 PSP with 60 to 70 candidates, that is not enough and you must have a good basic physical shape to start CrossFit, which lots of candidates do not have.

OK...........one more time..................THIS IS NOT THE CROSSFIT THREAD.

Get back on track and go to the Crossfit thread for this discussion.

MILNET.ca Staff

Just remember:

CF EXPRESS TEST is the Canadian Forces Standard

BATTLE FITNESS TEST (BFT) is the Land Force Command (i.e. the Army) Standard

Nfld Sapper said:
Just remember:

CF EXPRESS TEST is the Canadian Forces Standard

BATTLE FITNESS TEST (BFT) is the Land Force Command (i.e. the Army) Standard

These are the standard..... FOR NOW.

Where do you want to be (fitness wise) when they change (i.e go up)?? At the minimal level of fitness required, and have to work like a rented mule to reach the New Standard? Or try to exceed the (existing) Standard; far and above what is required. In other words, try for 100%, not 60%. Because, as I read on a US military forum: Today's 60% soldier is tomorrow's 60% RSM.

AL

Allan Luomala said:
These are the standard..... FOR NOW.

And for the foreseeable future. When the Army decides to change, they'll let us know. Let's not make it sound like the change is around a corner. Nothing wrong with being ready, but no sense causing undo anxiety over something that's not even at the rumour stage.

What exactly does "foreseeable future" mean?? Is that like being buried in the sand at the beach and when the water hits your chin you say "I can't see the the water reaching my eyebrows.... in the foreseeable future". You can hope it doesn't (i.e it stops when it reaches your lower lip), but I know I would start digging myself out well before the water reached my ankles. But then again, I'm a "Chicken Little" type..... Some are more of the ostrich (bury one's head in the sand, and not notice what is going on around them..... sorry but I think some of the younger folks here might not be familiar with such an old cliche).

AL

Let's not start any bun fights, but we won't start any rumours either. You can go do what you want...........you always have. No one said anything about not being ready, but, there is no change to the PT Standard at this time, and you can't say if or when it will change. Let it drop.

Locked with the usual conditions.  If someone has factual contributions to add, please contact a Moderator, who may open the thread after reviewing the suggested addition.

Army.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back