• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

20 years

One last post to close the loop. Graduated PRes BMQ today. Won the "Top Shot" award. Let me say, I have held my newborn children, been married a couple of times, and earned three degrees, but today was the proudest moment of my life. It is tough to find the words.

Also kinda funny when the only officer on the course is the one crying.  :'(

Jackson10 said:
One last post to close the loop. Graduated PRes BMQ today. Won the "Top Shot" award. Let me say, I have held my newborn children, been married a couple of times, and earned three degrees, but today was the proudest moment of my life. It is tough to find the words.

Congrats, Jackson10!

I've enjoyed reading this thread about your journey regarding the first steps in your CF career.

Cheers.

HS
:salute:

Welcome to the family.. there will be ups and downs throughout this relationship, trials and tribulations.. but always remember we ARE a family and are there for one another.

Congrats.

Bzzliteyr said:
Welcome to the family.. there will be ups and downs throughout this relationship, trials and tribulations.. but always remember we ARE a family and are there for one another.

And I can second that.
Even if something really f**ked up happens to you, you'll be taken care of, and you'll have a tight-knit group of people around you.

Reg or PRes.

A short update for anyone interested.

I had a great year at the unit, and have now completed BMOQ Mod 2. As I am turning 40 this year, my wife asked what I wanted to do special for the birthday. I said "how about letting me go do BMOQ-L/CAP for 10 weeks?" Her response, "if you are stupid enough to try it, I will not stand in your way."

My unit has nominated me for a course in Aldershot this summer. I just hope the old body holds up.

Congrats and well done mate.

As to if your body holds up? We had some pretty old farts (said affectionately) on my CAP. The only ones who didn't make it were actually younger folk. Keep your head down, work as a team, listen to your DS and help each other out and you'll do fine! Also, get some comfortable pens, you're going to spend a few hours of non stop writing for hand written orders.

-NSDreamer

Good advice, get a good comfortable pair of boots and break them in. If you're in Aldershot you'll be going to Cloud lake for a good portion of your training and comfortable boots make a hell of a difference in that pebble and boulder strewn alley. I totalled pair of issue boots there  :-\

Also, get a red light headlamp for operations in and around the hide while your on your Field ex's.

Thanks. I am already on the headlamp as I didn't have one for Mod 2, and others did. I am just using the issued boots, and find them pretty good. Is this what you mean? I heard the Swats, bates, etc... could be trouble in the field? Please let me know your thoughts.

Ref the boots, I'm not sure what your course instructor will do, but for mine we performed the BFT on ashphalt which leaves and the terrain in and around cloud lake is just plain sh**. Having footwear that you are comfortable in dry, wet, for extended periods and that dries quickly makes a hell of a difference.

Some people don't mind the issued boots, it's good for them, but a good pair of magnums, or even good insoles for the issue boots can make a world of difference too.

Jackson10 said:

Someone's chopping onions nearby.  I don't know you, I'm not even in myself, but your story makes me feel so proud of you.

NSDreamer said:
Good advice, get a good comfortable pair of boots and break them in. If you're in Aldershot you'll be going to Cloud lake for a good portion of your training and comfortable boots make a hell of a difference in that pebble and boulder strewn alley. I totalled pair of issue boots there  :-\

Also, get a red light headlamp for operations in and around the hide while your on your Field ex's.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nse/protectedareas/wa_cloudlake.asp

Ref the headlamp, not sure if the newer models are still the same, but I have a Petzl Tikka Xp, wicked headlamp IMO.  I also picked up a filter kit with green, blue and red filters for it, changes out in about 15 seconds.  Something like this, mine isn't camo, but it angles down, etc.  Always have this in my backpack.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Petzl-E89-PC-Tac-Tikka-XP-Headlamp-three-colored-lenses-Camouflage-/251035570500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a72e2d144

Personally, for night nav's, etc,  (dismounted stuff) I always preferred orange filters.  Couldn't see the red boundaries, etc on the Range Control maps, that kinda of stuff.  :2c:

Jackson10 said:
Thanks for the practical advice. Any other tips are welcomed.

Glucosimine, chondroiten and advil....  ;)

Oh...and good boot liners -- I wear other boots daily, but I still prefer to BFT/ruck in my Vibram'd Mk.IIIs for their combination of support and comfort.  As well, you could suggest to your wife you'd like some nice gel/memory foam liners - I get mine at Mark's Work Warehouse, can't recall the name, but they were about $30, orange foam with blue gel heel and ball of foot inserts.

Keep up the great work!

Regards
G2G

Back