• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

12 Dec 05 Afghan landmine explosion injures 3 Cdn. soldiers

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051212/canadian_soldiers_afghanistan_051212/20051212?hub=CTVNewsAt11

G-Wagon praised as life-saving in Kandahar blast
CTV.ca News Staff

An armour-plated vehicle is being credited with saving the lives of three Canadian soldiers and a foreign journalist who were injured in an explosion near Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Military sources said the four suffered non life-threatening injuries when a roadside bomb exploded under their vehicle as they drove near the town of Maywand, about 90 kilometres west of Kandahar.

The bomb, believed to be an improvised explosive device, went off at about 11 a.m. local time, or about 1:30 a.m. ET.

Colonel Steve Bowes, the Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) commander in Kandahar, said the soldiers -- members of the Edmonton-based 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry -- were "obviously banged up."

"One soldier had a fractured leg, a second soldier had a fractured ankle and a fractured foot," he told CTV Newsnet Monday, describing the injuries sustained by the two soldiers who had been sitting in the front seats. "They are both obviously in pain but they will be okay."

Col. Bowes said a forensic investigation into the incident was ongoing, but was still "very much in the preliminary stages."

Officials said the injuries could have been serious, even fatal, if the soldiers and the journalist hadn't been travelling in one of the army's new, 'G-Wagon' vehicles.

The vehicle -- an enclosed model specially equipped with armour plating and shock-resistant windows -- had its front end crushed by the explosion. The windows and passenger compartment were left largely intact, however.

G-Wagon Praised

Jae Malana, of the Department of National Defence, told CTV Newsnet that the G-Wagon was "highly regarded in the military."

"Our soldiers have some of the best equipment in the world and are well-trained," Malana said Monday. "The G-Wagon is a very reliable vehicle and will continue to be used by the Canadian forces."

"If it was an old Iltis jeep these men would probably all be dead right now," military expert Scott Taylor told CTV News, referring to the light-duty, open-top transport vehicles the G-Wagons have now replaced in active service.

For soldier Ryan Siebold, who's in Edmonton training for his own deployment to Afghanistan, it's easy to have confidence in the new vehicles.

"It makes our job a little bit easier, you know, when we actually get the opportunity to go overseas and do our tours -- it's nice to know we have some decent equipment," he said.

"We've heard they're actually quite incredible compared to the old ones."

An American helicopter flew two of the soldiers to an American field hospital at Kandahar. They and the other two injured were all treated at the facility and are listed in stable condition.

The military has not released the names of the soldiers, although next of kin have been informed. The journalist injured in the blast has been identified as Tim Albone -- a freelancer working for The Globe and Mail and a British newspaper.

"I'm convinced that is what, and in fact that is what the soldiers say, saved our lives," Albone told The Canadian Press, echoing the praise being heaped on the G-Wagon.

Track Record

The blast Monday was the third incident involving Canadians in just three weeks.

Last week, three members of Canada's secretive commando unit, Joint Task Force 2, were injured in an operation against insurgents in Afghanistan.

And on Nov. 24, Pte. Braun Scott Woodfield was killed in Afghanistan when the armoured G-Wagon he was riding in rolled over near the city of Kandahar. Pte. Woodfield, 24, was the eighth Canadian soldier to die in Afghanistan since 2002.

When Sgt. Robert Short and Cpl. Robbie Beerenfenger were killed while patrolling in Afghanistan's Jowz Valley back in Oct. 2, 2003, the Iltis they were in was widely criticized for having done little to protect them.

After that incident, the Defence Department awarded a $130-million contract to Mercedes-Benz Canada for 802 G-Wagons -- 150 of which were equipped with Armour Protection Systems.

The military later bought more of the vehicles and armour kits, bringing the total to 1,159 by late last year.

Canada has about 250 soldiers running a PRT based in Kandahar. As many as 1,250 Canadian soldiers will be serving in Afghanistan by February 2006.

silentbutdeadly said:
those F**kers are starting to figure out the Gwagon , it won't take them long to find the weakest in the Lav when we get there , kinda scary!

They are currently taking out M1s in Iraq....it'll only be a matter of time before the methods get passed along to these dirtbags.

As was previously posted...all they have to do is pack in enough explosives.

Time will tell.

The G wagon did it's job and the boys are recovering... 'nuff said.

Ash....some people thought this tour was going to be easy as well. For the medics comming over and thinking it's a breeze...they should talk to the one that was on scene with Pvt Woodfield.

He's having a hard time of it....quite understandibly.

This tour is not the same as Bosnia...not by a long shot. Everyday you hear all kinds of explosions...some close, some not. Some are from de-mining operations....others aren't. Convoys were getting hit on the way down from Kabul....mind you it was never mentioned in the news. Rocket attacks are something to experience...not very nice though, we'll leave it at that.

Regards

Franko said:
This tour is not the same as Bosnia...not by a long shot. Everyday you hear all kinds of explosions...some close, some not. Some are from de-mining operations....others aren't. Convoys were getting hit on the way down from Kabul....mind you it was never mentioned in the news. Rocket attacks are something to experience...not very nice though, we'll leave it at that.

You are certainly right.  An area that has faced over 20 years of continual fighting.  An array of tribal alliances in an area noted for "The Great Game".  An active insurgency being played out against the backdrop of a conflict with global militant Islam.  This is much more than the Balkans.

Stay safe.

Am wondering if the foreign journalist's presence impacted in any way on what happened. Were the boys in the vehicle distracted by this guy's presence? Is this an incident that could have been prevented / nipped in the bud?

We've had some shootings down Jalalabad road and EID's are up as well.  Hopefully the cooler winter will maked them hibernate -- and give some rest till the spring.

SBD -- the've had a lot of time to look at the LAV - and as mentioned above Abrams have been knocked out in Iraq... 

geo said:
Am wondering if the foreign journalist's presence impacted in any way on what happened. Were the boys in the vehicle distracted by this guy's presence? Is this an incident that could have been prevented / nipped in the bud?

Am I correct in saying an IED would be hard to see in the first place? I can take a guess the guy who put it there didn't just stick it out in the open, so even if they were talking to the reporter....I just can't see him being a direct distraction in this particular event. Just my two cents, Im sure others will differ.

Dan

The injured soldier in the passenger seat is a buddy of mine, who joined up in my Res regiment with me and served a few years before transfering Reg PPCLI.  He's swearing a lot, and I think that whats hurt the most in all this is his ego.  Very proud man.  He's coming home soon.

WD... IED could be a couple of mortar bombs strapped to the chest of a Jihadist or an artillery round (or two) buried under the roadway... I would suggest that if the local population is aware that the "feces" is about to hit the ventilator; funny things start to happen.... all the kids are sudenly off the road, busy streets are suddenly vacant... funny things happen.

My question still stands - did the newsie distract the troops from Job #1?

Are you implying (or insinuating) that the journalist might have somehow been part of problem with what happened?
If so, I would pose this question to you, how could one journalist distract three well trained, highly motivated soldiers from doing their job?
In my opinion, it wouldn't have mattered if there was a whole convoy of journalists, whomever was responsible for this attack was equally well motivated and obviously did their homework.

Edited to add:
This highly decentralized characteristic of the IED cells makes them nearly impossible to penetrate. Their small size allows them to focus on specific American units, learn their tactics, patrol schedules, transportation routes and readily adapt to counter-IED techniques.

Good read in another thread
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33448.from0.html#new

Blakey,
I have not had the pleasure of meeting the individuals out on patrol
I have not had the pleasure of meeting the newsie out on patrol with them.
His job is to ask questions & I am certain that the PRT Comd asked individuals to cooperate with the newsie where possible.... I do not imagine the newsie just sitting there with his mouth shut with both hands in his pockets... he'd be taking pictures, taking notes, asking questions and taking more notes.... that, to me, would be a distraction.

I'm asking a valid question while stating a valid concern that has been voiced WRT embeded journalists in the past...

geo:
Roger, I re-read your post, c'mon now, three individual soldiers are going to be distracted by someone asking questions, (and maybe, possibly taking a few photographs)?, I find that hard to swallow.

I myself do not know these soldiers (that I know of, no names have been released), but I'm pretty sure that talking to one of the individuals in the Veh. did not prevent the rest from doing "job #1".

It was no ones fault, like my quote from another thread in my last reply, these individuals are, and will continue to progress and learn from their mistakes, and so shall we.

What it boils down to is, if there wasn't a journalist within the veh, say it was the CDS visiting or the MND, would we be having this debate?, I would think not.

Oh yeah we would.

Blakey - did not say I was looking to blame anyone... I just mumbled to myself asking if the Photographer could have contributed to the incident. That is it - that is all.

Have experienced enough dog & pony shows over 30+ years & not all of them have been agreeable...

If you have a photographer sitting in the back seat - sticking his oversized "canon" lens between the driver & co driver - talking, asking questions - possibly cracking a "funny", sticking a miniature tape recorder in your face... all acts are innocent enough and intended to send messages home via the Press...

...nuff said - no point going into a Pi$$ng contest.

Cheers!

According to his article in the Globe and Mail, he was dozing at the time of the incident, unlikely this distracted the troops. Also the gunner is up in the turret, someone in the back seat will likely have little impact on him.

And, to add to FDL's comment according to the news piece the jorno remarked that the soldiers noticed that something was "wrong" just before the explosion.

Acorn

quote author=KevinB link=topic=37378/post-308274#msg308274 date=1134469809]
We've had some shootings down Jalalabad road and EID's are up as well.  Hopefully the cooler winter will maked them hibernate -- and give some rest till the spring.
[/quote]

I don't think they will hibernate to the same degree as they have in the past.  It takes a fair bit of resources, planning and cohesion to break contact, then re-establish it with an active enemy (us good guys).  IMHO, they lack all of that now - they are more like a tired boxer in the closing rounds who goes into a clinch to avoid taking more head shots - and so we pummel him with body blows...

Dave

Well....something from Mercedes.

http://emercedesbenz.com/Dec05/13MercedesG...LivesAgain.html

Mercedes G-Wagons Likely Saved Soldier's Lives...Again
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 2:05 PM

13GWagonUsedByCanadianMilitary1.jpg

A while back, we brought you a story about armored Mercedes G-Wagons being used by the Canadian military to replace their aging Iltis Jeeps.

The armored G-Wagon recently made headlines again, this time likely saving the lives of three Canadian soldiers and one journalist.

The incident occurred in Afghanistan, where the soldier's G-Wagon struck what military officials believe to be an "improvised explosive device."

The G-Wagon, which is fitted with armored plating and thick shock-resitant windows, suffered major damage to the front end; however, the windows and entire passenger compartment remained intact.

Thankfully, the soldiers suffered relatively minor injuries - one suffered a broken leg and another suffered a broken ankle and foot. The third soldier and journalist both walked away from the incident without any major injuries.

Tim Albone, the journalits that was onboard when the explosion occurred, said he believes the armor of the G-Wagon prevented even worse injuries to himself and the soldiers, and told CBC Newsworld: "I'm convinced that is what, and in fact that is what the soldiers say, saved our lives."

Shortly after the bombing, two men fleeing the scene were arrested and given to the Afghan police, where hopefully they will be dragged out to the desert, beaten and shot.

OK, just shot

I think I like Mercedes way of thinking  ;)

Regards

Acorn said:
And, to add to FDL's comment according to the news piece the jorno remarked that the soldiers noticed that something was "wrong" just before the explosion.
Acorn
Ah.... OK.... so the locals did "telegraph" knowledge that something was going down. Just too quickly for our boys to react to it. Oh well - these things do happen.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051214/edmonton_soldiers_051214/20051214?hub=TopStories

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/12/14/Soldiers-return-051214.html

Everything's dandy.

Once a guard, always a guard.  Get better fast P-Man!

Back