• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ziploc - The best non-intentional peice of military kit.

Zip Lock bags are diffidently a must either in the field or just plain travel.
1 thing I can not find any more are those TIDE laundry tablets, there were excellent for short TD's.

Allan Luomala said:
PPCLI MCpl, I assume that the electrician hook set that you speak of is like the tools that the dental types use to remove plaque, etc from the fangs? Those things are good to get into where the sun don't shine (on weapons, people!!!).

Exactly. The right angle hook and "Z' hook can find carbon anywhere on a C-7 or C-6.  The C-9 is still a burden when it comes to cleaning.

Trick for "acquiring those tools"?  Go visit Base dental and beg.. I heard they have old ones to get rid of sometimes.. get them after they have been sterilized.. ew!

Cpl Bloggins said:
If you buy a travel pack of Q-tips they come in a little plastic box, holds I think about 30 of them.

Another method, which I use for carrying small fragile stuff when camping, is to put them inside one of those metal Altoid tins, and then Ziplock that. 

Also, if anyone has any qualms with the durability of freezer Ziplocks, MEC and other outdoor stores sell map cases, for which one would have to really go out of their way to tear.  They're kinda pricey though.

" The C-9 is still a burden when it comes to cleaning."

- We wear out more weapons from cleaning them than we do from firing them.

Tom

Isn't that what they said about the FN C1?

I think we need more progressive, enlightened NCOs like TCBF.......

Gun tape trick: Keep lengths of gun tape wrapped around the pens & pencils in your FMP. That way you're never without.

I once repaired an Iltis fuel pump (on Phase 3 no less) using my dags, some field phone wire, and the gun tape I kept wrapped around the pens in my FMP.

Other field must-haves: Gold Bond (although I'm not going to talk about how I learned about it; too disturbing) a Braun electric shaver ($20 at Zellers and it runs on AA batteries) Kiwi liquid shine (easy and painless way to blacken combat boots in the field) baby wipes, paracord, and of course, every single bit of kit wrapped in its own Ziploc bag.

DG

DG-41 said:
I once repaired an Iltis fuel pump (on Phase 3 no less) using my dags, some field phone wire, and the gun tape I kept wrapped around the pens in my FMP.

I find using a hammer works best ;D

Best place to keep gun tape is around your Gerber (most engineers keep gun tape around there FE knives). As for ziplock bags the only problem I have with the ones with the slider tops, is that they do not give a air/water tight seal.

One way to keep your matches, and other small items dry and together is to place them in plasic film containers. They are light weight, small and easy to pack.
When putting matches in them make sure to glue or take the strike strip on the unside of the container cap.

Old Ranger said:
I find using a hammer works best ;D

Would that be the mallet and duct-tape repair method? (Extra parts to be smashed off, any parts that weren't meant to be smashed off duct-taped back on)

A personal fave, along with baby wipes, are the little travel size Purel hand Sanitizers. Packed, of course ,in a snack-size zip lock bag ;D

For winter feild ex I think one of the handiest things I brought with me were a half dozen pair of those .63 cent little stretchy gloves that you can buy at Wal-Mart. They are thin enough to wear underneath the new contact gloves and having a few extra pairs in your butt pack keeps your hands dry and warm all day.
Another thing that I brought with me was those foot and hand warmers (hot pockets) that used to be really popular. Again, I bought a bunch of them at Wal-mart and they kept my feet nice and toasty when everyone else was doing the "Oh my God my feet are sooo cold dance".

Just a warning with those "hot packs"....if you put them on before you march or do whatever it is you think you may need them for, you risk the chance of the pack "giving out" or dying on you mid-way through the exercise or march (personal experience...VERY COOOOLD!!)
and that can cause your feet to become even more cold then they would be without the hotpack due to the extreme drop in temp.

just some food for thought

Caleix

In the field, one of the things I have on my must have list, is Bounce sheets. I stick them in the kit, and pockets of those stinky bastards I share the tent with.

Bzzliteyr said:
I got some of those travel bags off the shopping channel, they are great.. some work by rolling, some work with a vaccum.  "space bag" is the name you want to look for, they sell some at Wal-mart.. camping section.. 2 to a box.  I ordered a bundle for $30ish on TSC.com.

I just got them last week...seem great right now.... no problems with them.

Back