• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your home FAK (First Aid Kit)

An up to date kit, which would have lots of utility in high trauma situations like car accidents (Links to Amazon and YouTube videos on link):

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/01/individual-first-aid-kits-ifak-help.html#more

Individual First Aid Kits (IFAK) Help Save Lives in Tucson Shooting - links for training and amazon sells the parts

The United States military has long been at the forefront of providing lifesaving training and equipment to soldiers in combat. The Sheriff’s Department recognized the extreme value of taking these advancements and putting them into the hands of first responders in the field. In June 2010, all of our deputies were given an Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) designed for blunt force and penetrating trauma commonly associated with traumatic gunshot and stab wounds. Extensive research was conducted to develop these kits to include collaboration with SWAT trained paramedics and emergency room physicians. By the end of July 2010, every deputy had been trained and possessed the skills to successfully employ the IFAKs.

The value of this equipment cannot be overstated in providing initial life saving measures to victims until advanced medical support arrives.

These kits contain:

* 1 – SOF tactical tourniquet
* 2 – Emergency 6” military bandages
* 1 – Asherman chest seal
* 1 – Quick Clot combat gauze
* 1 - Pair of EMT shears

I would also advocate for somthing like this to be issues to every soldier as well. (maybe two; one for the personal kit and one to carry in the car as a public service sort of thing)

Thucydides said:
An up to date kit, which would have lots of utility in high trauma situations like car accidents (Links to Amazon and YouTube videos on link):

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/01/individual-first-aid-kits-ifak-help.html#more

1 – SOF tactical tourniquet
* 2 – Emergency 6” military bandages
* 1 – Asherman chest seal
* 1 – Quick Clot combat gauze
* 1 - Pair of EMT shears
I would also advocate for somthing like this to be issues to every soldier as well. (maybe two; one for the personal kit and one to carry in the car as a public service sort of thing)

Does it have to be a SOF tactical tourniquet or will a regular semi tactical one do?  ;)

Minus the shears and the Asherman's (which I find to be junk although my experiences with them are both dated and few) it sounds very similar to what most guys already carry. 

A photo is worth how many words?  ;D

FirstAidKit.jpg

Missing from the photo is my c-collar, BP cuff and stethoscope.

For ages now, I've made a point of carrying blankets in my vehicle. At least 4.
I also carry a kit with lots of shiny stuff and try (not always sucessfully) to discipline myself into reviewing the FA manuals on a regular basis but I wouldn't go anywhere without the blankets.
I've been at a couple of MVC's over the years where the person/people were just too busted up for a non-professional to be able to do much for them other than put a blanket over them and hold their hand until the pro's arrive (and that can seem like a loooooooong time). 
If you've got the room, a couple of small stuffed animals isn't a bad idea either. 

Bass ackwards said:
I've been at a couple of MVC's over the years where the person/people were just too busted up for a non-professional to be able to do much for them other than put a blanket over them and hold their hand until the pro's arrive (and that can seem like a loooooooong time). 

Personal first-aid kits are more important now than ever. Paramedics are expected to show up within nine minutes for CTAS 1 patients ( which includes sudden cardiac arrest ) in the city. Even if it is just a one wo/man "Clock-stopper" in a Crown Victoria.  By last year, Paramedics were only arriving within nine minutes 62% of the time.

"Ambulance waits get longer":
http://www.healthzone.ca/health/article/572736

Bass ackwards said:
If you've got the room, a couple of small stuffed animals isn't a bad idea either.

Teddy bears are a good idea. They help ease the child's distress and facilitate assessment.
We do not issue them to children under three years of age.

Weirdly, I have never used first aid in a military setting (aside from some fairly minor sling support type stuff and calling in my own nine liner...). OTOH I have attended many car accidents, and blankets and a first aid kit have been part of my car kit for many years.

Knowing the principles of first aid often allows you to pull something out of your magic back pocket even if your FAK is deficient in some way. My wife has the record, tying a victim to the headrest and seat of the car as an improvised spine board (suspected head and neck trauma), but I have turned a sweater into a neck brace in the past.

This FAK seems to have most of what you would need in a nice compact package. Most of the parts can be ordered over Amazon (and I don't see why you cannot make a substitution if you can't access a product or like something different).

Crazy Glue (or that liquid bandage stuff)
Tourniquet
Israeli bandage
Triangle Bandage
Extra strength Tylenol
CPR mask

That's about it for my day-pack.  Takes up no space, and is effective for most of what I could encounter.  Lives in my car, or my day bag if I"m out and about, hiking, canoeing, etc.  Israeli can double as a tenser bandage if required, crazy glue for nicks and scratches to keep clean, and tylenol because that's what I've got available.  It's my 99% solution based on MSFA/TCCC for civilan situations.  By no means am I an ambulance, but I should be able to cover myself/a buddy should the forseeable go wrong.

-Scott

I see only MedTech32 has mentioned "gloves", although it looks like Kratz has them in his photo.

Is it generally more cost-effective to assemble your own kit, or to buy one of those pre-packaged kits from Red Cross or St. John?

I keep a First-Aid kit in the car. I don't recall if it has ever been opened or not, other than for band-aids etc. Living in a condo with many senior-citizens, I have had elderly neighbours come to my door, or phone me, for a courtesy visit. Ie: a lift-assist, or assessment if they should go to the hospital.
I always carried a pocket face mask when in uniform riding to and from work on the subway, so as to avoid a mouthful of puke. I never had to use it, but never left home without it.

George Wallace said:
I see only MedTech32 has mentioned "gloves", although it looks like Kratz has them in his photo.

You would be surprised as to how many people forget the gloves,  PPE is very important for you and your family.  I used to get ribbed all the time for carrying a few pairs on me at all times.  Until a few incidents occurred in the ROLE 1 at the back door away from all the boxes of gloves in the bays.  Nothing like a bleeding patient to make you think about gloves all of a sudden.

Needless to say, the ribbing stopped  ;D.

Whenever I walk up to an emergency scene, as soon as I leave my car, I have a pocket mask and gloves....

The FAK in my car is intended for mass casualty, I want to be able to handle 5 'minor casualties' at once. Over the years, I have responded twice, each time the EMS crew has receptive to my few words.

MedTech32 said:
You would be surprised as to how many people forget the gloves,  PPE is very important for you and your family. 

It's hard to believe now, but for many years the only gloves we carried in the ambulance were sealed inside the mortuary and obstetrical kits.
As far as "ribbing" goes regarding PPE, we did get some looks and comments from the families. Especially during SARS. :)

kratz said:
Whenever I walk up to an emergency scene, as soon as I leave my car, I have a pocket mask and gloves....

The FAK in my car is intended for mass casualty, I want to be able to handle 5 'minor casualties' at once. Over the years, I have responded twice, each time the EMS crew has receptive to my few words.

Kratz, remembering how nice you were to my wife and I at the meet-and-greet, I am sure the crews appreciated your help.  :)
Emergency Services host an awards ceremony each year to honour civilians, and members of the uniformed services ( such as yourself ).

Response times have slipped so badly that sometimes the greeting from "the circle of death" waiting for you is, "What did you do, stop for coffee?!"  <joke>

Scene safety is paramount. Any call could be your last.
We had a sad example at a PI-MCI on the 401 over Yonge Boulevard. It's the busiest multi-structure bridge in North America.
There was an undamaged car at the scene. The OPP was trying to determine what happened to its owner. They knew who was missing, and thought that we may have taken her on the Multi-Patient Unit MPU. They later found her body below in the Don Valley.
She was an off-duty nurse ( and wife and mother ) who had stopped to help, and somehow got knocked, or fell, over the guardrail, without anyone witnessing it.

Back