• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your Funniest/ Favorite War Stories

I was course senior on the day that we did our final ruck march for QL3 in Aldershot. We were all in the mess tent shortly after the march and as I was grabbing some drinks to go with my breakfast I noticed a "troop" wearing his bush hat in the mess. I sort of casually called out to him and asked him to remove his cap, he didn't. So, I got a bit louder in my request, nothing. So, I walked up behind him, cuffed it off his head and uttered something to himabout wearing his hat in the mess that was not very polite. That's when the CSM of Inf Coy turned around to see who just tried to commit suicide. My tab at the smoker that night was double, his beers and mine.

up behind him, cuffed it off his head and uttered something to himabout wearing his hat in the mess that was not very polite. That's when the CSM of Inf Coy turned around to see who just tried to commit suicide

Double Ouch! :D

Bruce, Scott and I did a little reminiscing via e-mail and figured out who the CSM was, he was from the RNFLDR. Said individual as I recall was well know for his temper as a Sgt. I hope he calmed down as he progressed in rank.

D:

I am still here, he must have. As I said, I am sure that is him, I have one pic of him during our grad parade that I'll send to you just as soon as I can get it onto a disc.

HAHAHA

re: Yeoman's post on the 2nd page about the kid who falls asleep in cow crap.

I can vouch for that story.  I was an instructor on that course and the kid told it me first hand the next day.

That kid was hilarious.  After that I couldn't look at him without laughing.

scott1nsh said:
I was course senior on the day that we did our final ruck march for QL3 in Aldershot. We were all in the mess tent shortly after the march and as I was grabbing some drinks to go with my breakfast I noticed a "troop" wearing his bush hat in the mess. I sort of casually called out to him and asked him to remove his cap, he didn't. So, I got a bit louder in my request, nothing. So, I walked up behind him, cuffed it off his head and uttered something to himabout wearing his hat in the mess that was not very polite. That's when the CSM of Inf Coy turned around to see who just tried to commit suicide. My tab at the smoker that night was double, his beers and mine.

ROTFLMAO  ;D  ;D  ;D

Seems nothing has changed over the years 'eh?

Regards

Good tales! Here's one I posted in The Mess:

Everybody has heard of Col Pat Stogran, right? Well, this story involves Col Pat and I years ago in North Norway, back when 1 PPCLI was the AMF(L) Battalion (when we still had AMF(L)...). I was the Ops O and he was the OC of B Coy, and the story took place during a Battalion Patrol Exercise in the countryside several miles outside the Bardufoss Garrison.

The terrain there is typical sub-Arctic: muskeg, with lots of skinny little conifers and birches sticking out of the muck, and plenty of rocky outcroppings. Off the paved surface, "roads" are pretty treacherous. Get off the surface, and you're done....

On one afternoon, the OC and I went out by jeep to look at the LD for the exercise. We turned off the paved road and onto a winding track through a very boggy muskeg woods. About a klick in, we stopped and (foolishly) pulled the jeep to the side of the track. After completing our recce, we went back to the jeep and jumped in, looking forward to a quick trip back to camp and a snort. The driver reversed without checking properly, and we got stuck.

We got out and pushed. No effect. The spinning tires dug in.
We jacked up the tires, put logs under, and tried again. No luck. We got it partway out, but it became bogged again. By now it was getting dark. We kept pushing and shovelling, but to no avail: the jeep dug through the crust of the muskeg and became further bogged. At this point, I volunteered to walk out to the road to flag down help.  Making it out to the road (with the sound of the pointlessly revving jeep engine and spinning tires in my ears...) I began to walk back in the direction of the base. Of course, this was the night with no cars on the road. Finally, a car full of semi-pissed Norgie soldiers stopped, and gave me a ride back to the NSE camp. I got to the NSE CP, then arranged for a wrecker. (Remember the old 5-Ton wreckers....?) I climbed into the wrecker cab, and we set off for what I expected would be a simple pull out of the mud. After all, how hard could it be to yank out a little jeep with a wrecker?

Finding the track entrance in the dark, we made our way in with great caution, not wanting to go off the narrow surface. Partway in, we found that the OC and driver had managed to get the jeep further out, but it was stuck again. Putting on the wrecker's spotlights, we quickly got the front winch cable on the jeep and yanked it out. Problems, over, right?

Wrong.

Now, with the recovery job over, it was necessary to get the wrecker out of there. Turning around was impossible. So, the wrecker driver threw the vehicle into reverse, and promptly slid all his left side wheels off the road surface into the bog. Dropping into all-wheel low, he crawled backwards...further off the road. Since driving was not going to do it, we decided to try winching out. The front winch cable as run out, and a search followed for a tree sturdy enough to take a pull. Needless to say, several uprooted trees later, the wrecker was still stuck. We then tried running out the boom cable to the rear-more uprooted trees. The driver got back in and gave it crap....tearing one of the side fuel tanks loose from its mount, but without extricating the mired wrecker.

About this time things suddenly became quite bizarre: two large hunting dogs came snarling out of the dark at us, followed by a very strange Norwegian civvy who was either insane, or extremely drunk, or both. He was quite angry, and was shrieking at us in a threatening manner in a mixture of Norgie and English. Apparently he was quite concerned about the environmental damage we had done. Not quite sure how to deal with this latest complication, we were staring at this apparition when two other Norgie civvies appeared out of the night (what all these people were doing wandering about in the muskeg in the dark, I have no idea....). Apparently they knew the dog man, as they told him to shut up and go away. They explained to us that he was "crazy", which we had no difficulty believing. They also expressed concern at the damage we had done.

At about this point we got back to the matter at hand: unsticking the wrecker. After all sorts of efforts, we had success and the macine heaved itself up onto the surface of the track again. Problems, over, right?

Wrong.

Reversing back down the track, the wrecker driver accelerated into a curve in the road, where the road bent around a large, deep bog. Of course (in case you didn't guess...) the wrecker, now travelling too quickly for the tight turn, shot strainght off the track, backwards, into the swamp. This time, we were finished: it was in the swamp over its wheels.
Disgusted, we made our way back to camp and some sleep.

The next day, a second wrecker was dispatched to haul the first one out of the bog. Of  course, having sat there for several hours, the wrecker was now in even deeper. The second wrecker could not budge it. In the end, the Norwegian Engineer Bn sent out its heaviest dozer, which cabled onto the sunken wrecker and finally heaved it out of the bog.

Cheers.

OK, let me haul this one out.....Let's see almost 32 years ago to the day:

During Leliefontein celebrations in '72 with the RCD we aquired the Watch Pig. Small lead in though. Leliefontein lasted for about a week at that time, lot's of parties and sports along with the parades. Sports were always accompanied by copious amounts of drink. During the games the MO was always on duty. Two or three guys went to the hospital during the bicycle jousts and another six or seven with sprains and breaks during the Sqn vs Sqn murder ball game. For some reason though, when the greased pig competition started, the MO found it to inhumane and made us stop. So, now what to do with the little pink piglet?

It was decided the pig would be auctioned off at the smoker, figuring one of the guys living on a local farm would buy it for the landlord. Nope. The single guys pooled our money and won the pig. For the rest of the night he kept up with the boys drinking beer. A can would get tossed to him, he'd bite into it, and drink the beer that flowed out. Within a couple of days he was a raving alchoholic. He'd roam the hallway of T4 searching for his elixar. He'd get extremley agitated as he sobered up and attack you if you had no beer for him. Hence the Watch Pig moniker. You had to know how to disarm the guard. As we returned to the shack at night, you always had a can of beer. On entering the darkened shack, you'd listen for the clip clop of his cloven hooves and toss the beer to the other end. When he went for it, you went the other way to your room.

The Black Forest Officer's Mess had a large silver punch bowl. During the RCD Officer's Leliefontein soiree, it disappeared about the same time as the Stewards. The MP's show up at the shack to recover it and rousted us all out. Ignoring our drunken taunts, they ask for it back under threat of us all ending up in cells. They're told the "pig" in the end room has it. They knock at the door and listen. Snorting and snuffling is heard. Thinking the occupant passed out, they use their pass key. Upon rushing in, they slip on the pig shyte on the floor (cleaned up twice daily BTW) and are confronted face to face with a very drunken and ornary swine. His punch bowl, which had previously been full was now empty and he wanted it replenished. So that was strike one for the Watch Pig. Ordered out of the shacks by the SSM, he was given a spot between the wings, tied to the Snowball tower. The SSM stated he was our responsibility and we were on thin ice. It took Watch Pig about two hours to turn the lawn into a muddy, circular sty, about twenty feet in diameter. The length of his rope. German CE type complains, strike two.

Pete D is elected to ensure the Watch Pig behaves properly as the whole thing was his idea. Him being the drunkest when we bought it and not being able to remember, he seemed the best candidate.

The final straw came about a week later, on a Sunday morning. The day broke sunny and warm. Too nice to sleep in, even after a hard night in the CC Keller Bar. One of the fellas looked out and raised the alarm. Watch Pig was loose! Pete D was roused and told to go out and tie him up. Forgetting the beer bait, Pete goes out in nothing but his jockeys. Without incentive to listen (no beer) Watch Pig takes off down the road. Pete D is in hot pursuit as Watch Pig rounds the corner and heads up the main road behind the shacks. Watch Pig is clippity clopping along as fast as he can, straight down the middle of the road, considering the twenty or thiry pounds he has put on while on his three week beer diet and Pete's not doing much better. They are about twenty yards short of the Church, when the congregation, led by the Base Commander, his family and the Padre step out into the morning sun. Ringside to see Watch Pig being pusued by a drunken RCD wearing nothing but yellow jockey shorts and screaming profanity at the pig. We can only imagine the thoughts that were racing through the various minds. Needless to say, that was Strike Three for Watch Pig. He was given to a local farmer who could not believe his size for his age. Nor could he understand Watch Pig's horrible disposition...and Watch Pig being family, we didn't tell him.

Have a good Leliefontein celebration Dragoons. I'll be tipping more than a few from here.

I know of a certain Artillery tech who believed the parachute from a 155 illum round could sustain his weight if he jumped off of a queen mary.Two sprained ankles later he conceeded an attatched pilot chute might have worked a bit better but we didnt let him.

Recceguy.......

Best story concerning Lellifontein I've heard so far  ;D  ;D  ;D

Regards

So we were doing patrolling on my SQ FTX, and my det was the only one not to get spotted on the day time recce portion. So as our reward, our det commander got permission to blow off some extra pyro, and make it a nigh recce/kidnapping patrol. We did our recce of this small bridge over a creek, and our Pl Sgt was told to pick us up there, because we had about a 2 hour patrol out. Well when she got there, we weren't waiting for her, so she got out and looked around.

I stood up in the long grass and took about a 50 rnd burst of C9 at the rear of the LS, she had her back to me, so she turned around and screamed a few profanities in surprise. On the opposite side of the road, which she now had her back to, two of our guys jumped out of the ditch and tackled her to the ground. We had gotten the zap-strap hand cuffs, so they tried to put those on her. She was resisting, so one of the guys kneeled on her head and told her to shut the F*** up... then they grabbed her and threw her in the back of the LS. I piled into the back with her(oh ya, she was blind folded) and the two snatch guys got in two, the demo team was in action next(we were also supposed to "blow" the bridge).

The demo consisted of four boxes of blanks, gun taped to an arti-sim, so they pulled it, and ran like hell. Man i could feel it like 200m away. So we all piled into the back of the LS, and our det commd. got in and drove off. then he started doing doughnuts in an intersection, then went back to the platoon defensive lines. When we got out she was mad at what happened at first, then she seen who it was, she said it was one of the coolest things she had ever done. Then we found out we had to cut off the hand cuffs because we couldn't get to the release, and she wasn't getting any blood to her hands....

Over all, best patrol iv been on.

On a patrol with the Royals last October, we had a random Royal walk up to us in a listening halt during the ex. I forget the challenge, but the response was supposed to be November November. We heard Noember Noember, we had him repeat it like 4 times, before we tackled him, and took him prisoner. lol, man was that funny... Then having to try and find a lost platoon of Royals, and volunteering to complete all three objectives, so we could almost make our timings.

foerestedwarrior said:
So we were doing patrolling on my SQ FTX ... turned around and screamed a few profanities ... zap-strap hand cuffs ...... kneeled on her head ... shut the F*** up... ... blind folded ... four boxes of blanks, gun taped to an arti-sim ... could feel it like 200m away ... doing doughnuts in an intersection ... wasn't getting any blood to her hands ...

Looks like some remedial instruction on Geneva Conventions, ROEs, pyrotechnics and a couple of other subjects are in the offing ... and after that, I'm looking forward to chatting with some people who should have known better ... all in good time.

some letters I wrote home:

Holidays in Kabul
well, it's 0-dark-stupid. I'd just finished radio watch, was almost asleep, when some dumb*ss downtown set off a bomb or launched a rocket. Right. Wide awake again.
hmmmm, sounds like fast air flying over the city.
"Peace on Earth." Hopefully, someday.

I wish everyone a truly happy holiday season. Especially those boys and girls deployed out there on the sharp end. Be safe, be careful. Those of you at home, please enjoy the silly season to the fullest. It's the best 'thank you' we can receive. To know that you folks are safe and happy, and can enjoy this time of year with loved ones is what makes this job worthwhile.

Today, I spent 2 hours settling a property dispute (complete with death threats and armed intimidation). The stupid part is that both sides wanted the exact same thing. But neither side would listen to what the other was saying! No wonder these people have been at war for 30 years. They're annoying as hell! I've only been here 5 months, and I want to shoot some of them. Imagine living your whole life with irritating people all around you and constant access to automatic weaponry! Took me 10 minutes to get it sorted out, then they'd start arguing again. Even though they'd already agreed on the solution!
Dumb*sses.

All the best of the season to everyone out there, regardless of faith.

Joyeaux Noel
Feliz Navidad
Merry Christmas.
-----------------------------------------------------------

letter to a young schoolgirl from me
22 Oct 03

Hello Grace,
Before I truly begin, I must apologize for typing this letter. It's kinda impersonal, I know. However, if you were to actually see my handwriting, you would understand, believe me. My wife is the only person I know who can actually decipher the hieroglyphics I call writing. (Chicken-scratches are a more accurate term.)
I am a soldier in 6 Platoon, November Company, 3RCR. It's an infantry battalion. I'm currently posted to Camp Julien, Kabul, Afghanistan, in the ?heart of the mysterious Orient?.
Although I come from a small immediate family, with just my little sister and I, I have many, many cousins, nieces, nephews, and about a bazillion dogs. We get together every chance we get and spend as much time together as we can, so I can relate to a chaotic family life. Besides, I've been in the army for somewhere around 8 or 9 years, and we excel at chaos.
In your letter, you asked what it's like to be so far from home. Well, I spend most of my life away from home, but you never really get used to it. It doesn't much matter whether you're in south-West Asia or just in the woods around CFB Petawawa, you're still 'away', if you know what I mean. You're still out of contact with your loved ones and away from the creature comforts we all take for granted. (I tend to spend the first 2 days back just staring at the TV. Oohh, pretty colours, moving lights.)
As for your questions about what it's like to be in a place where people don't want you, and to live under the threat of attack. Tough questions. Well, first, you called them â Å“dumb questionsâ Å“. There are no â Å“dumb questionsâ Å“. The only way we learn is by asking, right? I mean, if you don't know the answer, then the question isn't dumb, is it? (There are, however, dumb answers. I get a lot of them myself, and have even given a few.)
Second, the vast majority of Afghani people do, in fact, want us here. I know this, because they tell us so at every available opportunity. It only stands to reason, really. These poor people have been at war for more years than you've been alive. 25 years, actually. Man, I was just a kid of eight, when the Soviets sponsored a coup in 1978, then invaded in 1979. There's been a constant state of warfare ever since. With all the horrors and terror that usually accompany Man's most tragic activity: War. On top of warfare (with the attendant rapine, pillage, disease, and poverty) the entire nation has been suffering from a six-year drought. Wouldn't anyone welcome someone who was willing to put a stop to the warlords and bandits marauding the countryside? Anyone who was bringing safety and security to the nation? I know I would. The Afghanis know that Canada is here to help and they are grateful. Heart-wrenchingly so.
Third, hmmm?. living under constant threat of attack. That's a difficult question to answer, really. Well, you fall back on your training, your instincts, and that ridiculous belief we all have that â Å“it won't happen to meâ Å“. In all honesty, I can't say that I think about it much. A sense of fatalism helps, I suppose. If your number's up, then it's up. There's a cheesy Army saying I've always found amusing (in a dark sort of way). â Å“It's not the bullet with your name on it, it's the one marked 'to whom it may concern'.â ? I lost a very good friend and a role model a little while ago. But that's the risk we volunteer to take, I guess. I dunno. Someone has to do it, and if we don't, who will? I'd rather face the risks myself than have someone else do it. Besides, I'd much rather stop the fighting and terrorism over here, than have to face it in Canada.
How do we deal with the loneliness and fear? Is that what you were getting at? We form bonds of friendship that are even closer than family ties. We in the Infantry, especially, use humour. (Mind you, it's a dark, cynical, sarcastic form of humour, for the most part.) I've found that laughter is usually your best defence against the darker emotions. There's always something funny in even the worst circumstances. And when you are surrounded by Man's inhumanity to Man, you either laugh at it, or spend your time crying. And that accomplishes nothing.
What's it like in Afghanistan? Totally unique. In some ways, it's like living in an Indiana Jones movie. Like stepping back in time. You can touch a wall that's stood since the time of Alexander the Great. With a satellite dish on top of it. Bizarre. I love it here, personally. I'm glad to be on a real mission. I find the people here to be a reflection of their country. It's a nation of tall, bleak mountains. Imposing, aloof, appearing untouchable. But with beautiful valleys hidden away. Their homes are the same. Stone walls, barred doors, narrow firing-port windows. But the interior is a riot of colour. Tapestries, curtains, carpets, pillows, orchards, and gardens. The Afghan people are the same. Grim and serious at first glance, but underneath they are warm, humorous, and generous to a fault.
What would I change the most? It's the children and the animals that tear at your heartstrings the most. They live a life that is horrifying by North American standards. But, they still laugh and play. What else can they do? And, with the help of the International Community, things will get better. Circumstances here improve every day. And Canadian soldiers are a big part of that. I?m proud of my boys. I'm proud to say, â Å“I'm a Canadian soldierâ Å“ again, and it feels good. We are a positive force here. We're doing a good thing.
If your teacher (what was his name, Mr. G.?) would like, I can e-mail him some pics of the city, the countryside, the people, and the troops.
So, to you, Grace M., I say â Å“Thank youâ Å“. Thank you for your letter. Thank you for taking the time to write to a stranger. Thank you for your good wishes. I hope you have a long life, full of laughter, love, and joy. Treasure your family (even when they're really annoying). Be happy

more letters:
---------------------

article by a young trooper of mine: good kid
An orange glow lingered in the darkening sky above the hills on the western shore. A southwesterly rustled through the trees like an eerie song and was beginning to force white caps on the waves. The fog that spent the day on the horizon, was creeping its way into the bay, bringing with it a chill that cut through Shaun's olive drab jacket. He knew that if he didn't fire soon he would have a long empty handed trudge home to a supper his mother had left for him in the oven. From where he lay, he didn't have a clear shot. But there they were, not two gunshots away three black ducks cleaning themselves in a tidal pool at the base of the jagged cliff. He edged his way forward, cradling his twelve gauge in his arms like a baby. " Get up here " he whispered. Skipper stepped cautiously toward him and lay down. Brown bog stained the white patch on his chest like camouflage. Shaun looked back down over the crag and realized that he couldn't get any closer. He knew it was a long shot and it was now or never. He slowly raised the gun to his shoulder, taking a bead on the birds below. Skipper edged his way toward him in anticipation of what was coming next. He closed his left eye, took the safety off and slowly depressed the trigger.

"Hey Ryan," It was Cory, his fire team partner. "Get up man, we're on shift."

It took him a second to come too, as anyone that knew him could attest. Shaun was never the easiest creature to stir from slumber. He realized with disappointment that he'd never know if he walked home with those ducks. With that came the reality that he was nowhere near the waves that crashed the rocks on his island. He was trapped between barren mountains in landlocked Afghanistan. He crawled out of his warm sleeping bag and thought to himself,

"What in the name of God am I doing here?"

Minutes later he was standing guard over hundreds of sleeping bodies from an ancient palace overlooking Camp Julien. He peered through thermal binoculars at a shepherd sleeping in a field surrounded by his flock. Then he scanned the city beyond the camp. For a city of almost three million, Kabul was ghostly quiet at night. The crisp breeze and silence reminded him of walking the roads of his tiny fishing community on an autumn night.

"There are probably more soldiers patrolling the streets than there are locals walking around", he thought to himself as he spied two jeeps leave the front gate of the camp.

Hours later Shaun found himself in one of those jeeps. The sweltering heat of the Afghan day had long melted the cool desert night away. The locals outnumbered them now, thousands to eight, and swallowed them in a swarm of bicycles, cars, trucks, horses and donkeys. They may be outnumbered, but by people who are on their side. That didn't crack their solid alertness. They turned down a narrow dirt side street and left the busy market area. The jeeps stopped and Shaun stepped out, narrowly missing a pungent stream of human waste. Almost as soon as his feet hit the ground he was surrounded by tiny, dirty faced children, laughing and yelling the only english they knew, "how are you, how are you!" A little girl approached him, handed him her kite and in almost perfect english said,

"Thank you for coming to Afghanistan." It was probably her only toy. It dawned on him why he was there.

He was there for the people. The man that didn't have to fight for freedom anymore. The woman that could show her face from beneath a burqha if she so desired. He was there mostly for the children. The little boys that could play in the streets and not have to grow up to fight. The little girls that could go to school for the first time in years. He knew that in the big picture he was there to support the Afghan Interim Government. On a smaller scale, by him setting foot on that piece of ground, he would deter any militant from harming those men, women, and children around him. He surely knew that if Newfoundlanders were the ones fearing for their lives in a province of lawlessness, that they would want foreign soldiers to walk their roads and bash through their thick forests and deep bogs to find pockets of terrorists.

As they approach the front gate of Camp Julien, Shaun lets his alertness down for a moment. He curses the fog skirting the mountains off in the distance.

"Oh yeah," he mutters to himself, "Sandstorm."

He is not in Newfoundland anymore though it will be a welcome relief when he can stand on her shore again and watch the fog envelope the hills across the bay. He is eager to traipse through those forested hills and feel the pristine salt air in his lungs. He can't wait to smell the smoke from the chimney roving home in the twilight, with three ducks on his back and Skipper at his feet. He'll never take his freedom for granted again, that's for sure.
-----------------------------

two nights ago was a very bad night. It began in farce and ended in tragedy.

The first people we met were a family clustered around a woman on the ground. We stopped to investigate. "She's ill", they said. "She's stoned" Chevy said. She had taken a handful of Valium. At least it looked like Valium to us. But the family wouldn't let us (kafirs) touch her. So we stopped a passing vehicle and got them to drive the family to the local hospital. Or what passes for a hospital here.

The rest of the night got sillier and sillier. So, we headed into my AO. It's the wild, wild, west. I got every kind of scumbag in Afghanistan preying on the people in my AO. They are mainly Hazara. They're the poorest, they're the least armed, they're the religious minority. Easy targets. I'm doing my best to change that, and the crime rate is dropping dramatically there, but...

Then, we heard a woman scream. The kind of scream that chills you instantly. You can hear, you can FEEL the pain and terror in it. We began down the alley it seemed to come from, but the local police officer refused to go. So we radioed for permission to go on our own (which is against our mandate). We were refused.

Soemthing terrible happened to someone in MY AO, on MY watch, while I was THERE, and I failed to prevent it. I don't know if the cop refused to go because of cowardice or complicity/corruption. Both are equally plausible explanations. What I do know, is that I failed the people who were counting on me to protect them.
I failed.
I will be hearing that scream for a long, long time.

So, how's your day going?
------------------------------------------------------

ok, damage control. I don't know what the papers are going to say, but everyone here is fine.
There was a pre-emptive move by Pesident Karzai to dissuade some plotters of attempting a coup. He got wind of it early, and ISAF rolled. Well, most of ISAF rolled. Canada's forces in Kabul just sat here, because we have no vehicles. There was some mortar fire, but nowhere near us. So everyone can be cool.

So, anyway, there I was yesterday, in the back of the jeep, feet spaced wide apart to brace myself against the backs of the seats, acting as rear security. I got a C8 carbine, a 12 guage riot gun, and I'm feeling pretty darn cool about myself. "Yep, I am the sh*t, baby. Oh, yeah, Rambo, Audie Murphy, with a dash of Magnum P.I., that's me."

Chevy: "Ready to roll?"
Me: "I got two guns, 320 rounds of ammo, and a half a tin o' dip. Let's roll."
Chevy: "Roger that."

That's when I notice the female driver for the CIMIC officer is behind us, and looking at me with a smile on her face. Why not? I am gorgeous, and looking oh-so hard, right? So, I turn on the "Hard-Guy" routine. Watching my arcs, weapon at the ready position, my very best Sgt Rock face. Oh, I am COOL! She follows us for a while, then peels off on her task, still with that smile. "Oh, yeah. I still got it. Chicks dig me. I can't help it."

So, I finish the patrol, go out on two more, and a drop-off that evening. Then, when I'm taking my pants off, I realize the entire crotch is torn out, and little private what's-her-name was simply laughing at my not-so privates.

Oh, yeah. I'm cool.....

Bye, ya'll. Be good.
---------------------------------------------------

as I sit writing this, I m covered in human feces. Yes, human fecal matter. In other words: SH*T.

Not only I, but my buddies Chevy, Leb, and D, are also coated in a fine layer of excrement. Why? Because we stepped into a sewer ditch. (They don't have sewers here). Why did we do that? Because it was the only way to get the jeep out.

No, I was NOT lost. I knew where I was, I just wasn't where I wanted to be. And I didn't know how to get to where I wanted to be from where I was. It's totally different from being lost.

The first time in the evening I stepped into a sh*t-ditch, was when Chevy and I, along with a half-dozen cops, came running out of the police station with guns in our hands and murder in our hearts. False alarm.

It went down-hill from there.

Getting the jeep out of the shi*-ditch was the high point of the evening.
-------------------------------------------------------

'kay, first of all, I'm fine. Nobody got hurt. No matter what you may have heard or read, no Canadians were hurt in the so-called 'rocket attack'. They launched rockets at Camp Warehouse, Camp Julien, and Kabul International Airport (the unfortunately nick-named KIA). They hit with one rocket at Camp Warehouse, missed with the other, hit KIA, and missed us. They launched two at Warehouse. One hit a sea container, the other missed entirely. We put our fighting order on, and went back to sleep. They missed us by 5000 meters. Yes, I said 5 kilometres. Idiots. I think these morons were trained by Boris Badanoff and Natasha. Next thing you know, they'll be out looking for Moose and Squirrel.
They tried to get us with a bomb last month. Blew themselves up. we know there were at least 2 involved, because we found three legs. heh, heh, heh.
They tried a car bomb last month. Blew themselves up.
They tried a rocket attack last month. 12 rockets misfired. Duds. The 13th, missed by a half a kilometre. Somebody got an ***-whuppin' for that one, I'm sure.
Maybe they should just go buy a huge anvil, and try the ol' "drop it from the cliff" routine. They'd have better luck.
I think we couldn't even go looking for these guys. If we kill them, they might find competent terrorists, and I'd lose sleep.
I gotta tell ya, I am very proud of my boys. They behaved like true professional infantrymen. They woke up, moved to a safe location with their fightin' and dyin' equipment. Then went back to sleep. Out-"F"ing-standing. Not a man panicked. Not a man flinched. Good boys, every one. darn fine boys.
The civvies in camp, however, were a mess. Panic. Terror. It was hilarious. I wanted to take a box of rations down to their part of camp, drop 'em off, and say "Ya got two hours to make it to the airport. We're buggin' out. This is all the food available. There's no transport. You're on your own. God's speed." But, I was too tired. One dumb chick grabs O.B. and says, I'm not used to this, what should we do?" He said, "I dunno, put your helmet on? See ya." She sat down and cried. I laughed my *** off.
'I'm not used to this." Gee, that's odd, I get rocketed all the time back in Canada. Idjit.

I am firmly convinced that somewhere in my Section's AOR there is a secret bio-engineering lab. We have an animal in Camp that is not a cat, and not a dog. It's Catdog, and we think it's in league with Satan, but we can't prove it. And I have things in the alleys I patrol that are not monkeys and not cats. They're monkey cats. They rule the universe. Probably where Osama is hiding out. In the lab with Igor.
Actually, he's in Camp. He signs into the mess hall every day. Dunno how he does it. Really p*sses the Kitchen Officer off, though.

gotta go. take care, everybody.
------------------------------------------------------------

I will not:

- Call the local police chief â Å“Cobra Commanderâ Å“ anymore.

- Be found by the Regimental Sergeant-Major laying in the middle of my tent, surrounded by empty beer cans, wearing a burqha, and nothing else, for his inspections.

- Attempt to herd goats into Camp, anymore.

- Hand out pictures of my CO to the local Mujehedeen, and tell them he is an instrument of Satan, again.

- Try to buy donkeys for patrols anymore.

- Tell Afghani children that I shot Tupac anymore.

- Scream â Å“MONKEY CATS RULE THE UNIVERSEâ Å“ in crowded market places anymore.

- Try to saddle break a camel, again.

Geez, try and have a little fun around here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

well, ya'll
I gotta tell ya, I am some kinda sick and tired of fixing or repairing jeeps. The Iltis is junk. It seems to be the major part of most of my days. It' not that it's complicated, they're just jeeps after all. But it's never-ending. And monotonous. Every day something new goes wrong with one of our jeeps. And I can't just have it taken to the mechanics, because they're so back-logged I'd never get the damn thing back. Then my Platoon would be down a vehicle, and we only have 3. By rights, we're supposed to have 9. There are no parts in theatre, so everything is held together by gun tape and 550 cord. Good thing I'm hillbilly/white trash and am used to this sort of thing.

I've been into town a few more times now, and have made arrangements with a buddy to go along on his patrols as well. My section commander isn't interested in stirring the pot or getting too much Int. He wants a nice quiet tour. Which I can't fault him for, it'll guarantee our boys getting home safer. But, I'm here for a purpose. I stir the pot because that's how you get results. I dig for Int because that's what patrolling is for. The CO needs Intelligence. So, as a Recce patrolman, I'm gonna get it for him. My buddy, Chevy, is also a paratrooper and a Recce Patrolman. We kinda have the same ideas, except I'm sneakier, and he's more aggessive. But, we get results, and we work well together. Good cop/bad cop sorta deal. He can be a scary little b*stard, make no mistake. I come across a friendly, lazy ol' hound. 'Til they p*ss me off. Then I bite their faces off, and it's actually more un-nerving for them. Especially since I'm twice the size of the average Afghani. Hell, in all my kit, I'm almost 300lbs, and I stand over 6'2" in my boots.

The storms here are awesome. Yesterday, I stood outside and watched a curtain of sand blow over the camp. It came over the wall like a wave, and you couldn't see 20 feet. The wind was blowing tents over, and the poor little locals and Nepalese workers couldn't stand upright. I couldn't stop grinning. Then the thunder rolled like the world's biggest kettle drum. It echoed off the mountains, and reverberated through your body. And then came the lightning. It seemed to flicker from cloud to cloud before striking earth, like a laser-light show at a rock concert. And then came a downpour that only lasted minutes, but drove into you with the force of hailstones. All at the same time. Dust storm, thunder, lightning, and rain. Visibility was nil, and I stood outside giggling and howling into the fury of nature, totally awestruck.

Even the storms are cooler than in Canada.

I love this place.
---------------------------------------------------

Man, I love night operations! Tonight was especially fun. Driving down the streets of Kabul, almost no illumination, in a two-jeep convoy, weapons bristling out of everywhere, with the cool night breeze blowing the sweat away from under your helmet. Damn,
I love this shit!

Walking point down dark, deserted streets, with an M203 over/under combo, 300 rounds of 5.56 ammo, 6 High Explosive 40mm grenades, 10 inches of scalpel-sharp high carbon steel, total infra-red night vision superiority, and a bad attitude. (Hey, all I've ever asked out of life was an unfair advantage. Well, that and a hot blonde chick. Whattaya know! I got that too! Life is good.) It's especially good when you're the baddest dog on the block, with the biggest teeth. heh, heh, heh. "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no evil...for I am the meanest sumb*tch in the Valley. Thy automatic rifle and thy grenade launcher, they comfort me."

I get a little weary of hearing people back home say that Canada has no business in Afghanistan, or Iraq, or anywhere else. I grow weary of hearing that soldiers are war-mongering baby-killers. (Yes, I've actually been called a baby-killer. Me. A baby-killer.)

Soldiers hate war. Any soldier who has seen war or the effects of war, hates it. He hates what it does to a proud people. He hates what it does to the cities and fields. I have seen what war does. But, I serve my country's interests in foreign lands that those
same effects never happen in my country. If we do not stop evil away from our borders, we will have to deal with it within our borders. And I do not want to see Canadian citizens living under these conditions.

If you were living surrounded in poverty and squalor, at the non-existent mercy of selfish and greedy men, with no hope of succour, wouldn't you want someone, anyone, to come help you?

These people need us. Ever since ISAF came to Afghanistan, crime has taken a dramatic drop in the streets of Kabul.
Ever since the Americans freed the nation from the Taliban, the people have flourished. They smile now. They love Canadian soldiers especially, because we stop and talk with them. We listen to their problems. We try to find ways to help them and lighten their burden. Canadians are natural-born peace-keepers. It's in our breeding. We talk to people. We're curious about
their customs, and respectful of their ways. And when shit turns bad, we kick ass like nobody's business. Canadians are fierce fighters. Always have been. It's what happens when you finally get a calm, tolerant person really pissed.

I like these people. They are a reflection of their country. You look at the mountains and desert and think this is the most inhospitable, bleak place on earth. Then you find an oasis, and it's a paradise. The city is a maze of high walls, with narrow windows, and barred doors. Then when you enter the people's
compounds you find exquisitely-tended gardens and orchards. When you enter their brown, mud-walled house you find an explosion of colour. Rugs, carpets, tapestries, cushions, and pillows. All hand-made, and a riot of colour and texture.

The people are the same. They appear grim and unapproachable, but they will take you to their heart in an instant. Humour is in everything they do. (I suppose when your life is this desolate,
you HAVE to laugh that much more.) They are poets by nature. Lovers of music and art. Friendly to anyone who shows them
the same.

Hospitality is one of their three pillars of social convention. (Along with Revenge and Sanctuary.) When a man who has no food offers you his last meal, how can you think he is anything but generous?

They are warriors. Their strength in the face of deprivation shames me as a North American. I see what these people have, and more importantly, what they do NOT have and I feel embarrassed to be Canadian. Look at how we deal with strife. A snowstorm in Toronto and the Army is called out to shovel the sidewalks so that the beautiful people won't get their shoes damp.

Take care everyone,
May Allah smile upon you

a little boy asking "does your Rules Of Engagement allow you to use lethal force? That's good, 'cause the Taliban is comin'." Then running away.

turning into an alley so tight I can touch both sides at once, and watching the rats scatter through my Night Vision Goggles.

walking point on a night patrol and having my slack man sweep ahead of me with his rifle-mounted flashlight and being face-to-face with a pack of feral dogs.

a horse, harnessed to a cart, so starved, it's labouring to breathe.

a man beaming with pride at some silly little trick his child has accomplished, surrounded by mind-numbing poverty.

a wall being constructed out of hand-picked rocks by a family, without tools, looking down the top, and seeing it as level as a pool table. all done by eye.

a brand new mercedes sedan roaring past a cart being pulled by two ancient men, constructed of hand-hewn planks and car tires.

the hatred in a man's eyes because your skin is too pale, your religion is not the same as his, and you're on HIS soil.

the unconscious grace displayed by black-eyed, black-haired, black-veiled women as they go about their daily chores, balancing loads heavier than I am.

a 14-ton armoured vehicle caught in a traffic jam. stopped by a herd of starving cattle. all being herded by a boy younger than most of my tattoos.

the quiet dignity and mischievous humour in an old man's eyes as he welcomes you to his country and thanks you for caring enough to come.

a wall that has stood since the time of Alexander the Great...with a satellite dish on top.

sunrise over the mountains, with a dusty haze turning the normal oranges and yellows into a thousand different shades.

the eerily beautiful flashes of light beyond the mountains from American bombs falling for hours on some poor bastard that really wishes he was somewhere else.

a child. dirty, hungry, skinny, and smiling.

the tear in a paratooper's eye as he looks upon these
things.

may Allah smile upon you all
Khoda hafez
---------------------------------------------

Ran into some young fellas from the 501st while at the Kabul International Airport. We were waiting to board our flight to leave and come home, when we saw a bunch of yanks trooping through the airport. Mostly youngsters, with a few NCOs 'sheep dogging' them. One of my buddies asked who they were, 'cause he didn't recognize the shoulder patch. I explained what I knew of the history of the unit. Me and Gord then went after them, 'cause we needed to play with the M-14s some of them were carrying. (Yes, NEEDED.)

So, we tagged along after the last trooper, and tucked ourselves out of the way while they dropped kit. We got a few curious looks, but typically, they were too polite to say â Å“Hey, assholes who the f--- are you, and waddaya want?â ? After they got themselves sorted out, (took about 30 seconds, very organized) we asked this Sergeant (I dunno exactly what rank, he had 3 up, and 1 down. I get confused with all the Sergeant's levels they have.) if we could play with his M-14. As we were 'oohing' and 'aahing' over it (we both love the M-14, and I'm developing a real liking for that ACOG sight), another senior NCO came in and told the troops to unload. There was the expected grumbles from soldiers in a war zone about unloading their weapons, and the NCO said it was the German's SOP, no loaded weapons in the Airport. So, being the smart-alec I can be at times (Yeah, I know, you're all shocked), I spoke up â Å“Yeah boys, the Germans get nervous when they see Americans with loaded weapons.â ? heh. Well, that got a couple of giggles.

Over-all, I gotta say those boys looked good. Seriously. Discipline was good, without being chickensh*t, morale was high, and they were very familiar with their weapons. It showed in every movement. Their kit was worn, but looked good. Everything right where it should be, with those small differences every experienced troop makes to his issued stuff. (Of course, their hair was WAAYY too short, but that's just me, heh.) They looked fit, with that lean, â Å“packed-too-tightâ Å“ look, troops get when they take their PT seriously. The troops were very polite, too. Much more so than most of mine were when I first started working with them. (A pet peeve of mine. I hate rudeness.)

Just a li'l story I thought you might wanna hear. Yeah, I'm drinking.
Again....
Hey, it's Leave.

Dixon said:
Another Cadet Tale... SIC 2002 Cold Lake...
This one guy on my intake of SI who well call...awww heck his names Gardeezy aka Gardez (grandfather was an afghan warlord).

Well damn, I had a guy named Gardeezy on my SQ last summer, also the son of some Afghan warlord, lol. 

(A shout out to my SQ mates: "2 F@!King BFA'S!  You're F@#ked!  NOOOBODY leeeaves the Barricks!")

Anyways, so, we finally finish our SQ last summer and we're about to go in for our grad parade out in WATC Wainwright.

This coursemate of mine, whom I shall name Pte Urges, starts to whine about about how he has to go take a piss right?

We tell him to quiet down and go after the parade.

Well, Pte Urges shuts up, and we all march in and the parade commences.

15 minutes into the parade, whilst the officer is talking to us, there's some shifting in the ranks, but the officer doesn't seem to notice.  After about 5 more minutes, the grad is finished and we march out of there, although some people in the middle row were taking oddly long steps as we wheeled around and marched.  ???

Turns out that Pte. Urges couldn't hold it for 20 fricken minutes.  He'd just started pissing whilst the officer was talking to us, and once he started, he figued "hey, why not finish?"  So he finished, and even shook himself out alittle.  :o

*shakes his head* funny thing is: the guy's girl friend was there... with her two parents.... both of whom had big ass camara's with them.  He t'was wearing OD's too, lol.

foerestedwarrior said:
So we were doing patrolling on my SQ FTX....

Wow, you really are a stupid ass, you know that. 

And you wonder how things like Abu Ghraib get started.

Back