• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your BEST HTLA location/trip

catalyst

Reaction score
Am intrested in hearing from people's experiences on their very BEST HLTA (to a third location). Where did you go? What did you do? How did get there?

I'll be on my HLTA probably in March and am looking for some ideas.

Try Singapore.  Incredible city and from there, if you want to just chill on the beach for a bit, you have a ton of cheap choices within a 1-2 hour flight.

Lucky you !

My husband and I met in Bangkok, Thailand.

We spent the first week in Phuket at Malissa Villas where we had a beautiful villa with our own pool and our own chef. Kept to ourselves mostly but visited many Islands (snorkeling, boating, fishing, etc). Went to the Fantasea Show. Will be very crowded in March. Tacky, commercial, reminded us of Florida. DO NOT SHOP IN PHUKET : you will find much better in Bangkok.

We spent another week in Bangkok (3 to 4 days would have been enough) ; we visited a few temples, Grand Palace and other sites. Bought very nice jewellery. DO NOT BOOK A HOTEL IN BANGKOK : find an executive, furnished apartment.

We spent the last week in Hong Kong : purchased a MTR pass and walked every inch of the city. Wonderful shopping experience ; never mind the designer's boutiques : buy very good quality copies on the night market for a few dollars.

True, the flights are more expensive but once there, hotels and food are really cheap. Do not  bring more than a change of clothes nor toiletries : you can buy all you need for a fraction of the price. We had to buy 2 extra pieces of luggage !

I will share more and pictures by PM. Have fun !

Koh Samui is a great place to be a savage for 3 weeks.

You can have yourself polluted on bacardi before lunch, then go cruise a jetski or a scooter untill you find a place to eat, continue drinking, go bunjee jumping, eat again, sleep untill midnight, check out a mauy thai fight at Chaweng stadium, hit the vodka and redbull at the green mango (the viking bar is CF-Friendly), dodge ladyboys outside, ride around in a tuktuk for awhile, drink with the tuk tuk driver, ride around some more, figure out where the after hours bar is (forget the name, there's a pool in the back - don't drown), then pass out on the front porch of your bungalow because you lost your key in the jungle somewhere. The next morning, if you find that you no longer have a shirt, you can just walk out the the street and buy a new one for 150 bhat - pennies - and do it all again.

The whole thing is criminal, it really is. But you havn't lived untill you've seen two drunk newfies at 7:00am on the side of the road kicking their rented streetbikes back into shape after thinking that going for a ride after the Full Moon Party was a good idea.

I'm serious: be carefull in Thailand.

:o

The whole thing is criminal, it really is. But you havn't lived untill you've seen two drunk newfies at 7:00am on the side of the road kicking their rented streetbikes back into shape after thinking that going for a ride after the Full Moon Party was a good idea.

So it was YOU ???

Just kidding. Thailand sure is a land of pleasure but pleasure can be very dangerous and have serious consequences...

From Afghanistan (we were both there) we went to Port Douglas, Australia.  We had a vacation apartment, all furnished.  They supply you with extras (toilet paper, coffee, tea, etc) for the first night, after that you're on your own.  They still come in a clean every couple of days.  We had a living/dining room combo, kitchen, bedroom and bath with washer and dryer.  Great place and awesome hosts!  Lots to do and central to Kuranda, Mareeba, etc.

When I was in Bosnia (2001), the hubby met me in Rome.  We got a EuroRail pass and went to Munich, Heidelberg, Strasbourg, Bern, as well as touring Rome.  It was different as we didn't have a car, so all accommodations had to be within a reasonable walking distance of the train station.  If you go to Europe, the Ibis hotel chain is pretty good.

From Afghanistan (we were both there) we went to Port Douglas, Australia.  We had a vacation apartment, all furnished

In Port Douglas, the GF and I stayed at the <a href=http://www.thalabeach.com.au/>Thala Beach Lodge</a> . I'll admit I got really lucky with it considering that I found the place and booked it on a slow satellite internet connection during a short stop in PBW.

It was expensive, but the service was amazing. The crowd was mostly old rich people and the fact that it's located well away from the actual town of Port Douglas and it's nightlife reflected that. The only other people around my age (early 20s) were the restaurant and bar staff, who were originally from the UK and working their way around the world. They were a great group of guys and gals, and the GF and I got along with them well. The group of us made it into town to hit up the clubs and bars a number of times during our short stay.

If you're willing to spend the coin, and you're looking for a quiet place to spend HLTA I give Port Douglas two thumbs up!

I went on Safari in Tanzania in 2000.  I booked through a good travel agent, paid top dollar and had an amazing time.  Stayed in a great game resort every night where the food was top notch; saw really amazing wildlife and scenery and generally relaxed.  The last night before flying back, I stayed in the Norfolk Hotel in Niarobi.  It is a Fairmont Hotel and well worth the money- especially since Elizabeth Shue was directly in front of me in line to check out. (she is just as hot in real life as in film).

Now, I understand things are somewhat more unstable in Kenya now, but it was a good go then.

Wonderbread, sounds like a nice spot.  Great to have the shuttles from the resorts into town.

We stayed at the Coral Apartments, $110 AUD per night, pay for 6 get 1 free.

Back