• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You Might Be a Service Brat if...

c1984ml said:
When spelling over the phone, you use the phonetic alphabet, and have done so almost as long as you've known your abc's!

... and I also grew up using 24 hour time!

You tend to fill up your sentences with a plethora of acronyms and/or brevity that most people don't understand.

You answer yes/no questions with- "HUA!"

You don't get sent to your room for punishment----you get a severe dressing down, and then several days of labor with no privilages as punishment.

You don't walk beside your military parent---you flank them.

When you were born, you weren't a newborn, you were an FNG.

Oh, and a personal favorite of mine, one both my dad and grandfather used- You aren't called kids, you're 'troops'.

1) Your family thought it was perfectly normal to shell out the same 5 dollars to fly you back to Canada (Pri 5 of course!!) for the weekend to visit the Grandparents or family friends who would spoil you with much missed Hostess Chips & Heinz Ketchup, but who all looked at you weirdly as you ended up dipping your fries in Mayo anyway (a practise I continue to this day).

2) You got a wedgie at the Terressenbad for only 2 Deustch Marks.

3) You thought Europa Park was awesome and have the Log-ride pic to prove it (and yes I know others on here have the same pic).

4) Scooting off to Switzerland, Paris, Berlin for a week with your class was expected and afforadable.

5) You've actually been in Neuschwanstein castle instead of just saying..."Hey isn't that Walt Disney castle cool??"

6) You still make your kids clean their shoes on Dec 5th and put them outside the front door that night to see whether coal or candy filled them on the morning of Dec 6th as that pre-Christmas wake-up call.

7) You know what it was like to live on a "rationning card" basis.

You were read the RANGER creed as bed time story... (Sorry Hannah daddy just ain't right :D )

ArmyVern said:
1) Your family thought it was perfectly normal to shell out the same 5 dollars to fly you back to Canada (Pri 5 of course!!) for the weekend to visit the Grandparents or family friends who would spoil you with much missed Hostess Chips & Heinz Ketchup, but who all looked at you weirdly as you ended up dipping your fries in Mayo anyway (a practise I continue to this day).

2) You got a wedgie at the Terressenbad for only 2 Deustch Marks.

3) You thought Europa Park was awesome and have the Log-ride pic to prove it (and yes I know others on here have the same pic).

4) Scooting off to Switzerland, Paris, Berlin for a week with your class was expected and afforadable.

5) You've actually been in Neuschwanstein castle instead of just saying..."Hey isn't that Walt Disney castle cool??"

6) You still make your kids clean their shoes on Dec 5th and put them outside the front door that night to see whether coal or candy filled them on the morning of Dec 6th as that pre-Christmas wake-up call.

7) You know what it was like to live on a "rationning card" basis.

Ahhh those were the days... and don't forget the monkeys at the Stadtpark.

Olga Chekhova said:
Ahhh those were the days... and don't forget the monkeys at the Stadtpark.

Ohhh I don't!!

-If you were in the Girl Guides...you have been to Pinksterkamp Dwingeloo...and gotten in crapola on the bus-ride there!!  ;)

A lot of people seem to be LAHR BRAT in here  ;D

How many are we ?? And I mean BRAT...no " When I was in Germany before going on Ex. military equipment where not the first 'essential' element in the truck" stories.. :warstory:

Me TWICE  :P

A lot of those place name here brings back so much memories....

Skiing in Friburg, just for the weekend...

On one 3 days weekend your in Amsterdam...the other ? maybe Berlin...gee

Etienne

Another Lahr Brat here... 
- Having the abandoned NAZI bunker line along the Rhine River as a playground
- The Bear pits in Bern Switzerland
- A Sunday drive could encompass 3 countries.....
- Not being able to ride in the front seat until I was 12

And on the sayings
- Knowing what it means (at 6 yrs old) to put a Jag on
- Hearing "Steady up" at the store and quiting what we were doing.

Lots more too

billy

OMG, I'm not a "service Brat" but I can see a lot of this reflecting on my two sons.  Will this be them in 15 years, or so, asking the same question???   I can also see a bit of myself from my younger days in cadets and had to conform my mom to this "new" was of thinking.   ;)

...hand signals in the mall...that was priceless!!!
:warstory:
:army:

.....the first aircraft you ever flew on was a Hercules......
My son's first trip was on a Herc.  He just read this and is still howling..... :rofl: :rofl:

If you are not offended by by being called "An Army Brat," "A Navy Brat," or "An Air Force Brat" and rather take it as a compliment.

Um, I spent an evening at Cheri's, and two weeks in the Europahof. Does that count??   ;D
ArmyVern said:
If you are not offended by by being called "An Army Brat," "A Navy Brat," or "An Air Force Brat" and rather take it as a compliment.
You've got to admit that most dependant children see more, move more, know how to move, know how to be independant, and experience more than thier civilian counterparts do.  And most times are better off for it.  :)

...you were repeatedly correcting your school friends on the difference between a gun and a weapon. ("That's not a gun...THIS is a gun!" while proudly bringing out a picture of Dad pulling the lanyard of a 105.)

My kid is 5 and does that already. He asks me to buy him a "water weapon." ;D

On Remembrance day you not only can recognise the Medals and Ribbons but can also relate to which Birthday/Christmas was missed on what year and which base you were posted to.

Most of your friends and siblings were born in April/May and your Parents reminisce about what RV or Block Leave period you were conceived in.

When remembering you age dad tries to recall what post ex period it was that you were conceived.

I am NOT a service brat.  In fact, growing up, when I found out that my parents were civvies, I ran away from home!  JUST KIDDING.

Now, I *did* live just outside of Lahr from 82-83 as an exchange student.  I lived in Seelbach and went to Scheffel Gymnasium for grade 11.
Europapark, Freiburg, Geroldseck, Katharinenmarkt.  All these are bringing back fond memories.  One nightmare (at the time), however.

I was a civvie, through and through (some say I still am, but that's another thread!).  All I knew about Germany was that they had a chequered past that somehow led to the CF having a few bases over there.  The Russians?  They were the bad guys, and over there, a real threat.  So, at first, I found all the low flying jets and stuff "neat".  I was there for less than a month when one day I saw/heard a bunch of fighters go over head.  No problem.  Then I heard CFN broadcast a "Snowball". (Snowball?  What the hell is that? I wondered....)  Then, I heard air raid sirens.  (Things that make you go "hmmmm").  Even though I was a civvy, I could still add 1+1+1 and come up with 3.  Jets (1), "Snowball" (2) Air raid siren (3).  That's it: we're at war.  Ain't that just lovely?  So, I go downstairs, find the "Familie" actually quite calm.  They smiled and said "Es brennt irgendwo" (Something's burning somewhere).  Boy, talk about stoic Germans!  "Warum?" (Why) I ask.  Well, they simply explained that when the "Freiwillige Feuerwehr" makes a call, and if Herr Himmelsbach heads out, there MUST be a fire, because he only goes if there's the real deal. 
*Insert sound of lightswitch going on*
AHA
The jets?  Everyday activity.
The Snowball?  Virtual everyday activity.
The siren?  The call to "arms" for the volunteer fire brigade.
The fact that all three happened in that sequence?  Pure coincidence!

Back