• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yet another shoe thrown (guess who this time)

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Will the madness ever end? Friends...Romans, Countrymen, lend me your shoes!!!! ;D

Israel’s ambassador to Sweden, Benny Dagan, was the victim of a shoe-throwing incident at a lecture at Stockholm University on Wednesday afternoon.The incident took place as Dagan was delivering a speech about Israel’s upcoming elections.

At the time, there were about 50 spectators in the lecture hall, which was also being guarded by police.

“Two of the spectators suddenly began throwing objects at the ambassador. It was a shoe and one or several books. One of the objects did hit the ambassador,” said police spokesperson Bengt Hellström to the TT news agency.

http://www.thelocal.se/17366/20090205/

As long as the news outlets keep covering this nonsense it will continue to happen. What is the next fad, throwing socks? I propose that anyone caught throwing a shoe at any official be banned from owning footwear. That would go over great in Sweden in the winter. Or be forced to wear a sign saying "I Am A Lame Shoe Throwing Protester", maybe that would teach them how silly this is. Grow up shoe throwers, I, and many other people, are not impressed.

Here we go again.

Journalist throws shoe at India's home minister
Reuters
By Nigam Prusty Nigam Prusty – 1 hr 4 mins ago

r2777300590.jpg

A journalist throws his shoe at India's Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram during a news conference in New Delhi in this video frame grab from ANI TV released April 7, 2009. A Sikh journalist threw a shoe at Chidambaram during a news conference on Tuesday after getting angry with the minister's reply to a question on the 1984 riots in which hundreds of Sikhs were killed. The shoe missed Chidambaram, who leaned back to avoid it. He later smiled and asked security guards to take the reporter out of the room. REUTERS/ANI TV (INDIA POLITICS MEDIA)

NEW DELHI (Reuters) – A Sikh journalist threw a shoe at India's home minister during a news conference on Tuesday after getting angry with the minister's reply to a question about 1984 riots in which hundreds of Sikhs were killed.

The shoe missed Palaniappan Chidambaram, who leaned back to avoid it. He later smiled and asked security guards to take the reporter out of the room.

"Please take him away, gently, gently, gently, doesn't matter, please settle down, please settle down," Chidambaram said as commotion broke out at the press conference.

This was the latest incident of shoe-throwing as a mark of protest against political leaders, including former U.S. President George W. Bush and Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao.

Throwing a shoe at someone is considered an insult in India.

The reporter was seen being taken away by plainclothes police who tried to stop him from speaking to reporters. It was not immediately clear if he had been arrested.

The reporter took off one shoe and threw it after the minister began replying to a question about a federal investigation into two leaders from the minister's Congress party accused of leading rioters against Sikhs in 1984.

The riots in New Delhi, among India's bloodiest in modern times, were in retaliation against the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards. Most of those killed were Sikhs.

(Writing by Krittivas Mukherjee; Editing by Alistair Scrutton and Paul Tait)

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/news-confere...a_shoe_minister

Throwing a shoe at someone is considered an insult in India.

I'd be interested if there is anywhere that throwing a shoe at someone wouldn't be considered an insult

They should be charged with assault with a weapon and put in jail for the maximum possible sentence.. Until we put our foot down, idiots like this will continue to do these things because the media is the ultimate "enabler"..

Sythen said:
They should be charged with assault with a weapon and put in jail for the maximum possible sentence.. Until we put our foot down, idiots like this will continue to do these things because the media is the ultimate "enabler"..

Is that with or without shoes?  :)

I know it's a big insult to point your feet or throw your shoe at an Arab or Buddhist, but is that also true for Sikhs?

Oh well. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8389764.stm

Iraq shoe thrower Zaidi faces Paris shoe-ing
Shoes thrown at George Bush... then at his attacker in a similar incident
The Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at former US President George W Bush has found himself on the receiving end of a shoe-throwing attack.
Muntadar al-Zaidi was speaking about Iraqi war victims at a news conference in Paris, but managed to duck in time.
Media reports said the attacker was an exiled Iraqi journalist who defended US policy and accused Zaidi of "working for dictatorship in Iraq".
After a brief scuffle in the audience, Zaidi quipped: "He stole my technique."
The AP news agency said Zaidi's brother, Maithan, chased the attacker in the Paris audience and pelted him - with a shoe - as he ran from the room.
Marriage offers
Muntadar al-Zaidi's protest in Baghdad in December 2008 made him a hero in the eyes of many and sparked a spate of shoe-throwing attacks at politicians in several parts of the world.
MUNTADAR AL-ZAIDI 
Iraq shoe thrower 'was tortured' Profile: Shoe-throwing reporter 
As he hurled his shoes, Zaidi shouted at Mr Bush: "This is a goodbye kiss, you dog... from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq."
He was convicted of assaulting a foreign leader, and served nine months of a 12-month prison sentence.
After his release in September, he said he was tortured while in jail.
At his appearance in Paris, organised by the Arab Press Club, he said he was receiving medical treatment in Geneva for broken teeth, fractures and other injuries he sustained.
Asked about the sums of money and even offers of marriage that he is said to have received, Zaidi said he told his family to refuse all gifts "until I find a way that they can be passed on to the people of Iraq", AP quoted him as saying.

Back