• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yeah the .50 is coming back

geo said:
was the gun mounted on one of the new turrets?
Turrets were designed to carry either C6 or 50... and conceivably an AGL

Saw it again and it was just mounted on the usual ring not the armoured turret.

Marines Slated to Get Thermal Gun Sights
Stars and Stripes  By Jeff Schogol  July 14, 2006
http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,105580,00.html?ESRC=marine-a.nl

WASHINGTON — Marines in Iraq are slated to get thermal sights for .50 caliber machine guns mounted on tanks, said John J. Young Jr., director of Defense Research and Engineering.

As of right now, .50 caliber machine guns on M1A1 tanks have no sights, Young said.

“That’s going to production this month, to buy thermal sights for the Marine Corps tanks, and the Army is also partner in this and has an option to buy systems for their tanks,” Young said.

Young did not say if .50 caliber machine guns on Humvees would also be getting the sights.
More on link

Never content to leave well enough alone, the US armed forces is working to replace the Ma Deuce. Check it out:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2005/11/xm307-madeuce-replacement-gets-more-investment/index.php

Hopefully, the Canadian Army will stay smart and keep the old reliable.

I think Infidel was saying something to the effect that the whole X series was kibohed.  That was a while ago.

They put the stops to the GL for the time being, but the machine gun is still in development. Now, the OCIW, which was the shoulder weapon, got cancelled.

I love the old .50 but according to the stats, the new gun GD is working on is better.

Quagmire said:
Well the 50 has been around since the end of WW1.  That's quite the rep to beat.

Amen.

There is little in the way of enemy anything that can handle a belt of armour piercing incendiary tracer - in dusty, wet or cold conditions.

I think I saw a recruiting poster in a museum once with that slogan.  I am thinking of chairing a support group for people like us. 
"Friends of the fifty"  It will be run once a week at the "Cpl 4th center for obscure weapons that no-one remembers anymore."
If only I can find one without a QCB that we can worship on an alter. :salute:

I was just reading in a year old copy of naval proceedings about the how the .50 is replacing 20mm in many application thanks mainly to the new ammo available for it and that the advantages of the 20mm mount is limited in the hand powered form and requires an powered mount to take better advantage of it’s greater range.

Seems to me with the USN anyways the 25mm has all but replaced the .50

Hey all, you know where I can find the New .50 Drills?

have you checked LFDTS and the electronic library?

Back