• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ww2 camouflage

• Thread starter Thread starter Mineguy
  • Start date Start date
M

Mineguy

Hi guys,

I thought this may be an intresting item to show although not cdn military. These were some of the first camouflage smocks "encountered" by allied troops in italy and as the amercains said of the germans wearing these " they are practically invisible!"....The New cadpat is very good camouflage and what we wear now has come a long long way but i was pleasantly surprised to see how effective this blurred edge ss smock was which was made back then! Amazing!

Maybe someday it will be in my collection but right now the 7000-8000 euros going rate is a bit steep!

Kuna

I agree...............those Germans did a really good job with that camouflage.

You can buy repro SS camouflage cheaply from any number of suppliers, if you look hard enough.  Like on ebay or somefink.

Camouflage actually draws the eye when the wearer is in motion.  The Germans had the "advantage" of being on the defensive for the last half of the war.  Camouflage uniforms were something of a fad in the German military - it was the Italians that first introduced camo clothing, by the way.  But their effectiveness is probably no more than someone in a plain one colour uniform using vegetation and dirt to make himself blend into the terrain.

The Germans had a shitty war economy and spent tons of money and wasted resources on a bunch of junk they really didn't need.  Camouflage uniforms being just one of them.

The US Army trialled camo in Normandy and got rid of it.  Aside from looking like Waffen SS stuff, IIRC they felt there was no real advantage to it.

I thought movement attracted the eye by itself.  Didn't matter if you were wearing a cam pattern or OD.  At least that's what I recall from Why Things are Seen

Back