• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Woman wins settlement in CIA brainwashing case

Greymatters

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Thats right, CIA brainwashing...but this time involving the Canadian government?  I didnt believe it either at first...

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=df8d7976-03a8-4e11-a85b-f9b883d07e25&k=10283

"Max Harrold, CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 Article tools

"MONTREAL — A Montreal woman who underwent years of debilitating brainwashing techniques in the 1950s and 1960s has ended her case against the federal government, accepting an undisclosed amount of money.  Janine Huard, 79, accepted a cheque for an amount that “will make her very comfortable,” her lawyer, Alan Stein, said Wednesday.
Stein said part of his client’s agreement was that she not disclose the amount.  The settlement opens the door for other former patients of Huard’s doctor at the time, the former director of McGill University’s Allan Memorial Institute, Ewen Cameron, to try and get compensation for their treatment by him despite the long delay.  The treatment included electroshock therapy and sleeping while wearing earphones that played repeated messages. The experiments were conducted by the Canadian government and the CIA."

I remember watching a show about this a while back, there was about 10 minutes on this very woman. Some pretty interesting stuff.

Just a slight correction to the title of this thread:

The woman received a settlement.  She didn't win a settlement.  Settlements are negotiated to the satisfaction of the parties; hence, there is no win or lose. 

Semantics.  The actual title said 'gets cash'.  True its not a 'win', but it is a lot like a TKO which is another form of winning, same as conceding defeat or withdrawal from a contest.  Payment of damages is a form of acceptance of responsibility for wrong done to another person. They didnt get judged as 'guilty', they didnt 'lose' the case, but whoever pays the cash is the 'loser'. 

Wrong.  It's not semantics.  It is entirely two different processes within the legal system... but you obviously know more than I about the legal aspects of the subject matter so I will defer to your experience.   ::)

Back