• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why the big helos?

Mountie, you are correct that the Americans are consolidating into the H-60 series, however, they still have CH/MH-53s.  We don't have a heavy lift helo so that's why we went with a 30% bigger helo for our MH duties.  It gives us more lifting capacity and the ability to do that without having to remove all the ASW kit since you don't always have time to take it out and put it in for when you need it.

Mountie said:
I know you don't think much of my suggestions, and again I grant you the fact I have no experience.   But do you really suggest that the CF should buy different helicopters just in case something goes wrong with one type?   With that strategy I guess we in the RCMP should buy several different types of cars just in case Ford does a recall on our Crown Vics.   Sorry, but with the exception of a quick experimentation with Impalas and Intrepids a few years ago, we have one type of car, the Crown Vic.   If something goes wrong with the Crown Vic we don't panick and "ground" the whole fleet.   For example several US police departments have launched a law suite against Ford because some models of the police interceptor version of the Crown Vic have gas tanks that explode when the car is rear ended and several police officers have been killed.   However, we still didn't ground the fleet.

The detachments do have different vehicles for different roles- suburbans, tahoes, the vics, there are still impalas.....whcih make a horrible patrol car...

Lot's of great points already brought up by SK Tacco and Inch (especially about the beer - reminds me of a time when we traded a pallet of beer for a pallet of ketchup). Thought I would mention that there is no mention of a minimum size anywhere in the MHP documents. The size of the helo is simply implied by the mission set and conditions required to fill the CF's requirement. The simple reality is that we can't afford, nor do we have the assets to carry at sea, a bunch of specialized helos so we need the one size fits all solution.

Sam

Aaron White said:
Are you refering to all the cookies and bananas I eat?
Yahar Billy,thats whats I means,all those fat pill's!!
Note: Duff= Navy Slang for Dessert!!!
Not to be mixed up with Dobie.

Aaron White said:
The detachments do have different vehicles for different roles- suburbans, tahoes, the vics, there are still impalas.....whcih make a horrible patrol car...

What is it you don't like about the Impala for a patrol car? Is it the front wheel drive?

its just bad. The inside isn't designed for partitioning. Its tall enough but leg room in the offender box is non-existent and its to small in the front as well. Also the police package has a very cheap platic interior. At least it did 2 years ago. Pieces were breaking off all over the place. I think it was a rush to find a crown vic replacment, they tried some bizzarre models> PM me if you want to discuss more....

Sam69 said:
Lot's of great points already brought up by SK Tacco and Inch (especially about the beer - reminds me of a time when we traded a pallet of beer for a pallet of ketchup).

Not to mention the fact you can't cram a whole pallet of ketchup packs in the glove compartment of the police car, although you might get the beer into it if you deep six the all unnessary gear in the trunk. [briefcases, riot stuff, blankets, first air kits etc., spare tire, shovel etc.]    A 1992 Crown Vic might do nicely.

Next, remove the roof light kit and install rubber band driven rotor blades, and next thing ya' know, your a bear in the air with all the really necessary supplies you will ever need.  

Back