• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why can't some civi's tell the diffenrce between cadet's and soldiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote from: MedTech on Today at 22:12:44
But you are not from my officer corps, and you are not my equal.
Sorry to disapoint, but all officers in the Canadian Forces are equal. 

The commissioning scroll says nothing about regiment, branch, terms of reference, or job discription.  It is not a qualification, it is not a graduation certificate.  It is an understanding that you can be trusted to carry out the direction of the soverign to look after people up and down the chain of command and do your duty.  Duty has nothing to do with TOR or affiliation.  It has to do with doing the right thing. 

That direction is the same whether you are a band officer, a medical officer, infanteer, armoured, mars officer, mareng, pilot, padre, or personnel officer .. RegF, PRes, CIC, SupRes .. makes no difference.  All occupations are to be valued.

If you have difficulty with this line of presentation, take it up with the General and Flag Officers who use similar words upon presenting commissioning scrolls to a body of troops representing a variety of different branches. 

greenjacket said:
i know for one that i'm enoyed that some people don't understand the difference between the Army Reserves.   

[backontrackthreadsteering]

Thats a shame if it really bothers you that much.  I'm sure people of various martial arts get annoyed when others mistake their field for something else.  All their "Gi"s look the same to me as well.  Although I've been told by my diehard martial arts buddies that there are "obvious differences".

Can't get annoyed at stuff like that, there are lots of other more pressing things to be annoyed with.  Like mosquitos.

Cheers, Kyle

[/backontrackthreadsteering]

gwp said:
Sorry to disapoint, but all officers in the Canadian Forces are equal. 

The commissioning scroll says nothing about regiment, branch, terms of reference, or job discription.  It is not a qualification, it is not a graduation certificate.  It is an understanding that you can be trusted to carry out the direction of the soverign to look after people up and down the chain of command and do your duty.  Duty has nothing to do with TOR or affiliation.  It has to do with doing the right thing. 

That direction is the same whether you are a band officer, a medical officer, infanteer, armoured, mars officer, mareng, pilot, padre, or personnel officer .. RegF, PRes, CIC, SupRes .. makes no difference.  All occupations are to be valued.

If you have difficulty with this line of presentation, take it up with the General and Flag Officers who use similar words upon presenting commissioning scrolls to a body of troops representing a variety of different branches. 

It's not a disappointment. I know that. Regardless, I have sent you a PM and look forward to chatting with you on the subject at hand.

Cheers!

MedTech said:
I haven't met that many properly turned out CIC officers. I kid you not. The ones that I have seen that are quite nicely turned out, also turned out to be ex RegF or PRes members, with the minority as CIC direct entries.

In a Branch of more than 7000, I suspect that haven't met that many CIC officers of any description, relatively speaking.  Even if you'd met 200 CIC officers, that's less than 3 per cent of the Branch.

How could you tell which ones had former service in the regular force or P. Res?  It's sometimes obvious by medals (e.g. anyone with a SWASM or such has almost certainly been in another component than the CIC), but otherwise there isn't likely to be an obvious distinction.  Unless you assume that the slobs are the ones with no prior service and the sharp-looking ones are the ones with... but in that case you're begging the question (or making a circular argument).

I usually ask. I have the opportunity to deal directly with many, many CIC officers, as I am a volunteer with my son's corp. I do pretty much everything with the corps and it brings me in contact with officers from lots of the other corps, sqns and units. I will always correct dress and deportment -- within our own corps (cadets and officers) and all others I come in contact with - properly and politely. We must remember, our CIC officers are still commissioned officers. Some (more than others) may not have had as much training so it's my duty to see that they are taught. Properly and politely. There is a time and a place for everything and if you do it right it can be quite effective. I once witness a young 2Lt in DEU. Her own concoction of DEU, anyway -- sneakers, a civi pattern white shirt and no head dress. I confronted this abomination AWAY from any cadet and WITH her CO. There was no excuse other than "all the pieces didn't fit!!" I asked the CO if the LT could be excused to change into appropriate civilian attire. She was. I took her name, S/N and corps and when I got back to base, I ordered her new "parts".

Time and place, politeness and professionalism. My old 2 RCR RSM used to say "Dress and deportment is everyone's job - discipline is mine!!"

BinRat55 said:
I once witness a young 2Lt in DEU. Her own concoction of DEU, anyway -- sneakers, a civi pattern white shirt and no head dress. I confronted this abomination AWAY from any cadet and WITH her CO. There was no excuse other than "all the pieces didn't fit!!" I asked the CO if the LT could be excused to change into appropriate civilian attire. She was. I took her name, S/N and corps and when I got back to base, I ordered her new "parts".

It's good that you were in a position to do something.

What parts of her uniform WAS she wearing?

To get this topic back on track.
Find the cadets, find the RegF members, find the reservists.

From the use of silver (white) insignia on the epaulets of the blue flying suits, I would surmise that all in the upper photo are Air Cadets.  The one individual wearing an Air Cadet Pilot Badge also has silver rank insignia so he is probably not CIC (rank insignia would be gold).  There are a few whose shoulders are not visible or have no insignia there.  If the 'no insignia' pers are not cadets, but in the CF (CIC) , their dress is incorrect.  The two young men in the bottom photo are both in the Canadian Forces; it doesn't matter whether they are regular or reserve, they both are incorrect in their dress.

Agree with Blackadder1916, top picture are air cadets judging from epaulettes, and bottom are either reg force or reserve (but not in proper uniform judging by missing badges and identifiers).

I agree that it would be difficult for the public, and many members of the CF, to differentiate in this case for the two pictures.  However,I'd say that most of the time as a whole, it is quite apparent at the cadet LHQ level due to the clear age/generational difference of having largely 12 to 15 year olds  (and fewer 16-18 yr old cadet NCMs) compared to the average older age of CF members.

Snakedoc said:
Agree with Blackadder1916, top picture are air cadets judging from epaulettes, and bottom are either reg force or reserve (but not in proper uniform judging by missing badges and identifiers).

They're not missing any 'badges'.  A young soldier attending basic training (as I suspect these guys are) would only wear the 'cornflake', and would not be wearing collar dogs, other regimental/branch or command insignia.

I just read this whole thread..................................can someone tell me WTF its about? ::)

For the rest of the site......carry on.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I just read this whole thread..................................can someone tell me WTF its about? ::)

For the rest of the site......carry on.

Somone in the PRes was thought to be a Cadet by a civilian.  He was not happy.

That is all  :D

Blackadder1916 said:
From the use of silver (white) insignia on the epaulets of the blue flying suits, I would surmise that all in the upper photo are Air Cadets.  The one individual wearing an Air Cadet Pilot Badge also has silver rank insignia so he is probably not CIC (rank insignia would be gold).  There are a few whose shoulders are not visible or have no insignia there.  If the 'no insignia' pers are not cadets, but in the CF (CIC) , their dress is incorrect.  The two young men in the bottom photo are both in the Canadian Forces; it doesn't matter whether they are regular or reserve, they both are incorrect in their dress.

They are correctly dressed, as it looks like they are on a basic/sq course. 

(Steps out of lane slightly)

Land force dress isn't my strong suit, but I think by missing their name-tags (as appears to be the case) they are out of dress.

Thats my guess.

Adamant said:
(Steps out of lane slightly)

Land force dress isn't my strong suit, but I think by missing their name-tags (as appears to be the case) they are out of dress.

Thats my guess.

...which they hadn't likely received yet from the Garrison Supply Coy at CFLRS that belongs to 5 GSS...not their fault...

Week 4 (as they have their cornflake) and still no name-tag?

Well i guess, I have to remember it is St Jean... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back