• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who here has a Cadet Medal, what is it, and what did you have to do to get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strathacona is the more senior medal. I would not call one "better" than the other, however. :)

(Lol) thats why I used the " 's. Hmm.. "If you could have ONE, which would it be" is better put.

foxtwo said:
(Lol) thats why I used the " 's. Hmm.. "If you could have ONE, which would it be" is better put.
Each medal is awarded based on it's requirements ... no one medal is "better" then another.  There is an order of precedence for cadet medals which makes some more senior then others.  In that aspect Lord Strathcona is more senior then the Legion Medal.  The order of precedence doesn't always make logical sense as  the ANAVETs and MGen Howard are the two least senior (next to the Army Cadet Long Service Medal) but are two of the hardest to achieve.

All right to answer your unformal question ( :) ,) the Strathacona would be the "better" one, in terms of difficulty to obtain. It has a higher stature.

It's good to know. But the two medals do sorta have similar requirements...

Thanks everyone.

Not a problem. Really brought out a lot of information, that's for sure.

Best of Luck!

Out of curiousity, have most of the Corps represented in these Forums handed out their Service Medals already?

MCpl Saorse said:
Out of curiousity, have most of the Corps represented in these Forums handed out their Service Medals already?
My corps received ours mid Janurary and handed them out at the COs parade at the start of Feb.

only one long servise medal has been handed out in my corp. it was to a cadet that had retired a month earlier. she was supposed to get 2 bars on it as well.  all they gave her was the medal with out her name on it. the forgot the ribbon and the bars.

Being retired and all, I'm sure she'll live. :) Does deserve it, though. I don't think our Corps took the bars into account, either.

Our Corp just got them last night, there are no ribbons as yet and we did get the one bar that was ordered.  There are a few unfortunate things though.
1) all of the cadets we got them for have aged out
2) they need to be engraved and we are going to do so with Name and Date prior to handing them out
Our plan is to keep one or two on hand and re order them as required to replace the stock items so that we can engrave and award them at the anniversary date of the individual rather than having to wait.

It's ironic, in a way, that no cadet being awarded the medal in my Corps has aged out: they are all either retiring at the end of this year, or at the end of next.

My understanding is that the Army Cadet League didn't expect as many recipients to apply for this medal, so the are short stocked.  My corps had 6 people eligable, 2 have since retired, and we have 2 more that have recently applied.  So far we just got the medals, no bars, no undress ribbons.  I had my medals court mounted by Joe Drouin (www.joedrouin.com) and they created an undress ribbon using their ribbon stock, I am considering purchasing undress ribbons from them for the other recipients in my corps.  We are currently still waiting on the bars.

Riobeard, would you happen to know if it is a requirement for the corps to engrave them with the name and date?  Mine was not engraved when I received it and I have since had it engraved with my name.

It isn't a requirement to have them engraved, but since there is a blank on the back I'd assume that is what is intended and I feel it's a nice touch.

Jun said:
i have the legion medal and the lord strat, my oc did all the paper work for me to get them.
about the bravery medal is also a reg force metal you can carry it over

chimo

The Cadet Medal of Bravery does not carry over to the Reg Force.  You can however be awarded the Medal Of Bravery as a civilian and wear it on your CF's if you choose to join.

Hey i think that they should make a cadet medal for shooting . instead  of just having to wear pins all the time for ex, the lord strathcona pin. they should make a medal  for the cadet that shows excellence and proficiency in the principles of marksmanship.

Can't say I'm an overly big fan of that: marksmanship is a qualification, and is worn on the sleeve already. Those pins, I believe, are good because they are not only different, but given a Duke of Edinburgh-like treatment, although I believe they are a bit bulky and may look better as a badge on a sleeve.

It's just personal opinion, but I don't think marksmanship is really of "medal" quality for above and beyond the call of cadet duty.

mcpl_spunky said:
Hey i think that they should make a cadet medal for shooting . instead   of just having to wear pins all the time for ex, the lord strathcona pin. they should make a medal   for the cadet that shows excellence and proficiency in the principles of marksmanship.
An Army Cadet marksman that is proficient can receive their shooting level qualification (badge on left arm), their zone/region/national shooting competition pin, and their CL Marksman/CLI Marksman/Bisley pin for meeting certain requirements.  There is also the Bezille award for the top Bisley cadet (a silver rifle with wreath, worn above the medals).

I would say that is sufficient for the marksmanship aspect of cadets, considering there is no equivalent recognition for other optional aspects to cadets (band, army cadet challenge, etc).

mcpl_spunky said:
Hey i think that they should make a cadet medal for shooting . instead   of just having to wear pins all the time for ex, the lord strathcona pin. they should make a medal   for the cadet that shows excellence and proficiency in the principles of marksmanship.

why not join the Americans young Marines. you get medals for everything. shooting, basic training, first aid, flag party commander, perfect attendance, learning to use the washroom. here have a look at all 55 of them http://www.youngmarines.com/Adult/Awards_Manual/Ribbons%20Chart.htm
l

Wearing all their qualifications on their chest where medals are placed: I never did really like that idea, either.  :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back